PDA

View Full Version : Honey

Gillian Bartlam
17th May 2010, 11:59 AM
AS honey is suppossed to have many healing properties and is natural can we eat it on the diet?

Mat
17th May 2010, 12:03 PM
Hi Gillian,

Welcome to the forums! I hope you find it useful here!

Honey, like sugar, raises your insulin levels sky high and shouldn't be eaten. - Sorry.

To be honest, after a few weeks on the diet my tastes changed radically, and I now find bananas almost too sweet!

Plateauqueen
17th May 2010, 12:06 PM
Hello, Gillian.
Although Honey is natural, it has an impact on our insulin levels, just like sugar, agave nectar or fructose and is not good for hypoglycaemia or candida , we want to keep our blood sugar levels stable, and do not want our bodies to over produce insulin, as this makes it possible for us to store fat. Hope that helps

schpang
24th May 2010, 07:24 PM
I thought as per Mat & Plateauqueen, I had taken on board the theory behind it all.
Then I was rather flummoxed to find a recipe in THD recipe book (pg 274) entitled Honey Scallop & Chilli Stir-fry AND it says it is for phase 2.
This is not the only case in the book where the recipe doesn't conform to the theory behind THD.

However the book is very well laid out. I like the info table that goes with each recipe telling you what conditions & phases it is suitable for - this is also included in the index too, which is super-convenient to check 'at a glance'.

The fact that the book allows for 'flexibility' at first confused me, but now I don;t know if I've gone a bit warped but it has made me think I can add a small bit of flexibility to my own dishes. For insance last night I got a couple of squares of dark choc & melted it in some double cream to make a chocolate gnash and I dipped my berries in it (very yum), I am on phase 2 really but I thought it's only a tiddley bit of (85% dark) choc and I had it after a fat meal. So where's the harm?

I still don't know if I am totally 'at peace' with it all though.
It's easier to understand and apply if things are black and white, then just phase 3 is down to individual discretion/self-policing.
Knowing that there is flexibility in the book, if I'm honest has probably given me a false justification to cheat when I was feeling weak willed and missing my chocolate.
I think I will try to just do it properly, no cheats till phase 3.
Roll on phase 3.

Mat
24th May 2010, 07:35 PM
It's easier to understand and apply if things are black and white

I'm like you with this - I'd rather have zero 'cheats'

The recipe says "Honey is, strictly speaking, a refined food but as each serving just gets 1/4 tbsp; it wont make any difference to your weight loss"

I guess if we were doing it every day - It could lead to issues.

I do see where you are coming from re: the black and white though.

Andy
24th May 2010, 07:45 PM
Hi,
Zoe has often written about the requirements of a successful diet. An important point is that they need to be realistic and livable. Also, people are very different and not everyone wants, nor needs, a prescriptive solution, hence the term 'flexibility'. If the principles of The Harcombe Diet are understood AND you are in control of your decisions (which you would not be if you suffered cravings) THEN you are able to make decisions for yourself as to what you eat, when and how frequently.
There are some recipes in the recipe book that are for more special occasions or the odd treat here and there (they are generally the more extravagant ones written by the proper chef). Eating these occasionally won't cause you any more problem than the odd meal out, which we all look forward to and enjoy. However, we should be aware of the effects of some foodstuffs on our metabolism (especially sugar, wheat and dairy).
Learning to redefine our 'treats' will naturally move us away from problematic foods and help us discover other alternatives.
Enjoy the journey

schpang
24th May 2010, 10:12 PM
Mat and Andy I appreciate your views as you've got more experience with THD than me. I think what I will do is to do it stricly whilst on phase 1 or 2 and then just leave the cheating to phase 3. After all honey is a sugar and would trigger the insulin release - don't want that roller coaster and the fattening effect which is counter-productive when trying to lose weight anyway.

I have been browsing the forums this evening and I see that there is a lot of this kind of debate going on; Chilli con carne with kidney beans debate, also Schwartz Flavour Packets etc. I fall more towards the homemade rather than convenience and also I feel that if something is doing - it's worth doing properly. The theory is there for a reason so I'm happy to let that be my guide, but I don't like fuzzy edges so I'll stick to my black & white.

Mat
24th May 2010, 10:15 PM
The key is that it has to work for you!

So if you want to stay black and white and don't feel like you are depriving yourself then go for it.

Please keep us posted.

Cheers,

Mat.