PDA

View Full Version : What mulit vitamins are people using?

elsiemate
1st June 2010, 01:19 PM
Hi there - Day 11 for me of Phase 2 (although I am still excluding cheese and most dairy, wheat and fruit except for berries) Weight loss so far on THD 11 Ibs. For the past three days I have lost a half pound each day which I am both delighted and amazed at. Since last September I have therefore lost 34 Ibs (but the first 23 pounds were down to Weight Watchers!)

Anyway, I am looking to take a good multivitamin as Zoe advises and wondered whether the collective wisdom on here could steer me in the right direction. Are there any I should avoid in particular? And are any of you taking fish oils? Have taken these in the past but not sure whether I need to now as I am having salmon or tinned mackeral at least 3 times a week.

Thanks!

Helenann
1st June 2010, 05:57 PM
Hi Elsiemate,

Here is a run down on what vitamins I am taking:
Cod liver oil capsule
chromium - regulates blood sugar levels
Vit B
Vit C (1000mg-2000mg) (convinced this wards off colds etc and helps with the bowels)
Aloe vera cleansing capsules (at night for intestinal health) or colon cleanse capsules which contain psyllium

I feel great!!

Mat
1st June 2010, 06:15 PM
Hiya Elsiemate,

I tend to buy Boots' own brand - Doesn't seem to have any nasties in it.

Sian
1st June 2010, 06:31 PM
I take a multi-vitamin, fish oil tablets and probiotics. There are lots of different good brands - I tend to use Biocare.

snailrunner
1st June 2010, 06:52 PM
I like Vitabiotics, and Vertese for veggie friendly essential fatty acids.

catchianthe
1st June 2010, 08:09 PM
I take Boots omega 3 every day because it makes my hair so shiny and soft, an extra B vitamin complex, chromium supplement and vitamin C from Holland and Barrett every few days but not every day. I'm wary of taking too many supplements when I should be eating the right things instead.

elsiemate
1st June 2010, 09:41 PM
Thanks all! Sounds like a visit to Boots is in order!

Sue
2nd June 2010, 01:45 PM
Hi! I´ve just started taking a combined tablet from Healthspan - multivitamin, mineral and probiotic - only need 1 a day and 3 months´worth costs 7.95!! Here´s the link (http://www.healthspan.co.uk/pre-probiotics/multivitamin-with-probiotics/productdetail-p3196695-c131.aspx)

Babs
2nd June 2010, 02:30 PM
If I am eating all this great food, why are supplements recommended? What is missing from my diet?

Barbara xx

Helenann
2nd June 2010, 04:07 PM
babs,
I take the same as Catchianthe (above) I think even if the diet is excellent, with todays modern farming methods etc etc the quality of the food may not be optimum. I cant afford free range and organic food at every meal so take them as added security! I find vit c has been excellent over the winter for warding off illness and chromium has helped with hypos. I also take Aloe vera colon cleanse because constipation can be a problem for me when I eat mainly fat meals.
Its all down to personal choice.

XX

fidget
3rd June 2010, 08:20 AM
Barbara - I take nothing at all. There's a thread here (http://www.theharcombedietclub.com/forum/showthread.php?694-Nutrients-am-I-missing-anything&p=2864#post2864) which may be of interest to you. I had the same question. :) I have never taken any supplements (except maybe when pregnant) and am eating sooooooo much better than before THD so find no need for any supplements right now.

fidget

Becky
3rd June 2010, 08:28 AM
Barbara - probably nothing is missing - but I see it as an insurance policy - it's not going to do any harm is it?

I only take Vit C. I think Centrum are pretty good as a general multivitamin - though they are not the cheapest.

Babs
3rd June 2010, 10:59 PM
Thank you all for your replies. I, like fidget, have never taken supplements so I don't think I will start, for now, anyway.

Barbara xx