• Categories

• Club Members Area RSS Feed

Welcome to the club members' area.
    We have hundreds of articles, videos, tips, FAQ's and, of course, recipes, in this section. For ease of navigation, all content is first grouped by Section (left hand menu), and then by Categories (listed below the Sections). Just use the navigation to the left or use the links below to access the main content sections...

Recent Articles.
    Published on 17th October 2016 05:30 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Newsletter-Conflicts,
    3. Newsletter-Health

HPCSA vs Professor Noakes -The story sofar
    p>As you receive this note I will be in the air, just about to land in Cape Town, having been asked by Professor Tim Noakes to be an expert witnesses at his hearing. As promised in last week’s note, this week I will share what I am able to about the case, the charges and what has been going on at the hearings so far. I am only going to report on the prosecution case in this note (fear not – there’s more than enough to cover on this alone. In fact, today’s note is twice the normal length, but, trust me, it’s terrific stuff!) The notes that follow come from the hearing evidence, which has been given so far. I will use quotation marks and italics, so that you can clearly see where I am quoting verbatim.

Abbreviations

ADSA: Association for Dietetics in South Africa.

CJS: Claire Julsing Strydom – the “complainant”.

HPCSA: Heath Professionals Council of South Africa – the “pro-forma complainant”.

ProfTN: Professor Tim Noakes – the “respondent”.

TLT: Tim’s Legal Team (rather than naming the particular lawyer for each comment).

Vorster: Professor Vorster – an academic and witness for the prosecution – more details given under “Hearing two – witnesses called.

The chain of events

The original tweet

All this started with a tweet. For those of you who tweet, I imagine most tweets you spend seconds thinking about, hit “tweet” and then get on with your day. @ProfTimNoakes has over 77,000 followers and he has tweeted over 31,000 times, since joining Twitter in April 2012. Who would have thought that one single tweet would have led to all this?

On 3 Feb 2014, someone called Pippa Leenstra, who tweets as @pippaleenstra, Pippa J Styling (she’s a fashion stylist) tweeted: “@ProfTimNoakes @SalCreed is LCHF eating OK for breastfeeding mums? Worried about all the dairy + cauliflower = wind for babies??” (Please note: @SalCreed is Sally-Ann Creed, a co-author of The Real Meal Revolution with ProfTN).

On 5 Feb 2014, Tim tweeted: “@pippaleenstra @SalCreed Baby doesn’t eat the dairy and cauliflower. Just very healthy high fat breast milk. Key is to ween baby onto LCHF

Published on 14th October 2016 02:58 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Articles - Special

The HPCSA vs Professor Noakes

The newsletter on Monday 10th October addressed the South African Dietary Guidelines, as a warm-up to the upcoming fourth hearing in the case of the Health Professionals Council of SA (HPCSA) against Professor Tim Noakes. In preparation for my appearance as an expert witness, I have been through approximately 1,400 pages of transcripts from the hearings so far. The notes to date all relate to the case for the prosecution and the witnesses that they have called. For those of you who want the headlines, the newsletter on Monday 17th October will summarise these. For those of you who want as much detail as possible - here it is...

Abbreviations

ADSA: Association for Dietetics in South Africa.
    CJS: Claire Julsing Strydom – the “complainant”.
    HPCSA: Health Professionals Council of South Africa.
    ProfTN: Professor Tim Noakes – the “respondent”.
    TLT: Tim’s Legal Team (rather than naming the particular lawyer for each comment).

I will use quotation marks and italics, so that you can clearly see where I am quoting verbatim. Where I make a comment, I will use (ZH – and then the comment). I will be sticking to the narrative as much as possible.

It started with a tweet

This case started with a tweet. For those of you who tweet, I imagine most tweets you spend seconds thinking about, hit “tweet” and then get on with your day. @ProfTimNoakes has over 77,000 followers and he has tweeted over 31,000 times, since joining Twitter in April 2012. Who would have thought that one single tweet would have led to all this?
    Published on 10th October 2016 05:38 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Newsletter-Conflicts,
    3. Newsletter-Health

South African Dietary Guidelines

On 16th September 2016, it was announced that Nina Teicholz and I would be going to Cape Town to appear as expert witness in the hearing of the Health Professionals Council of South Africa (HPCSA) vs. Professor Tim Noakes.

Next Monday’s note will summarise the background to the case, the charges and what has been going on at the hearings so far. I’ll remind you now of the origin of this entire case, as it is particularly pertinent to the dietary guidelines that this note reviews.

It started with a tweet!

Published on 3rd October 2016 05:29 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Newsletter-Dieting,
    3. Newsletter-Health

“Mediterranean Diet could prevent 20,000 deaths... “

These were the headlines that we woke up to on Thursday 29th September 2016. More specifically, it was claimed that a Mediterranean diet could prevent 20,000 deaths in Britain each year. That’s an important clarification, as we’re all going to die.

The original study can be seen here and it’s on open view.

There were three really interesting learnings from this study: i) we get a detailed definition of what researchers think the Mediterranean Diet is (as opposed to what Mediterranean people actually eat); ii) we get a new (and incomprehensible) way of guessing (estimating) the impact of this made up diet on deaths; and iii) we get an example of the new way of reporting studies/grabbing headlines, which I forecast will end the “20% greater risk “ coverage we have suffered to date.

1. Categories:
    2. Videos-Conferences

Gary Taubes: Why We Get Fat - Adiposity 101 and the Alternative Hypothesis of Obesity

Gary Taubes
    To view full screen, just click the little icon at the bottom right hand corner of the video
    1. Categories:
    2. Recipes-Phase 1 Meals,
    3. Recipes-Phase 2 Fat Meals,
    4. Recipes-Veggies

Red onion and pepper fritattaRed onion and pepper fritatta

Frittatas make a very versatile dish, which is equally as delicious as a snack or as a main meal. You can serve fritattas warm or cold and they are a perfect pre-prepare option for lunches on the go.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO