• Categories

• Club Members Area RSS Feed

1. Categories:
    2. Articles - Special,
    3. Articles - Health

The Peri-Menopause

The menopause is officially defined as the cessation of menstruation. When a woman has not had a period for 12 months, she is said to be ‘menopausal’. The peri-menopausal period is defined as “the time shortly before the occurrence of the menopause”. This is not hugely helpful when medical sources add that the peri-menopause lasts an average of four years and the menopause itself can last years. No wonder women react to the word menopause with dread!
    Published on 4th April 2016 06:25 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Newsletter-Health,
    3. Newsletter-For Thought

Global obesity from 1975 to 2014

Christmas came early for obesity researchers on April Fool’s Day. The Lancet is really leading the way in global obesity research. Their report from May 2014 on the prevalence of global obesity remains my trusted guide.

On 1st April 2016, The Lancet gave us another gem. The full PDF is available here – I’m not sure for how long it is on free view if you want to grab it. The latest study examines trends in Body Mass Index (BMI), between 1975 and 2014, for 19.2 million adults (9.9m men and 9.3m women), in 186 countries (the 186 countries covered 99% of the world’s population, by the way). The objectives of the study were threefold:

Published on 1st April 2016 11:45 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Videos-Conferences

Dr Andreas Eenfeldt
    To view full screen, just click the little icon at the bottom right hand corner of the video
    1. Categories:
    2. Recipes-Phase 1 Meals,
    3. Recipes-Phase 2 Fat Meals,
    4. Recipes-Pork

Mustard Roast HamMustard Roast Ham

Much of the ham that you can buy in supermarkets is preserved with water and sugar, so why not cook your own? It takes little-to-no effort and tastes so good. ...
    Published on 28th March 2016 06:32 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Newsletter-Conflicts,
    3. Newsletter-Health

Who designed the eatbadly guide?

Last week’s newsletter was about the new ‘eatwell’ guide; this week we look at the group of people who designed the guide.

When Unilever take out adverts in national UK newspapers saying: ”We are delighted that unsaturated fats, like the oils found in our spreads, now have a dedicated section of the Eatwell Guide and are recognised as the healthy option...”, you should be alarmed. If your so-called role model healthy eating plate is welcomed by fake food companies, surely you got it wrong.

The remit of the group

A group was set up in November 2014 to review the 'eatwell' plate. You can follow this link to a number of documents where you will find the Purpose of the group and the Terms of reference as follows (SACN is an abbreviation for the Scientific Advisory Committee on Nutrition and PHE is Public Health England) (the bit in blue is all direct quotation):

Published on 21st March 2016 09:24 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Newsletter-Conflicts,
    3. Newsletter-Health,
    4. Newsletter-Bad Science

The new eatbadly guide

The big news last week was the launch of a new ‘eatwell’ plate (the inverted commas indicate that it is anything but eatwell). The name I prefer to use is one that I coined several years ago and used in my 2010 obesity book: The eatbadly plate.

The origin of the 'eatwell' plate

The ‘eatwell’ plate was launched at a press release on 16 September 2007, by the Food Standards Agency (FSA). It is described in the British Nutrition Foundation video on YouTube as the “healthy eating model for the UK” – suitable for young or old, vegetarian or not and for any ethnic group.

Published on 14th March 2016 07:08 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Newsletter-Dieting,
    3. Newsletter-Health,
    4. Newsletter-For Thought

Two thirds of Brits on a diet most of the time

I have never smoked. I have never even put a cigarette between my lips; never wondered what it would be like. My mother smoked when we were children and my brother, father and I hated it so much that we finally ganged up on her and banned her from smoking in the house. Dad sensibly picked January as the ultimatum month, so mum spent a miserable couple of weeks smoking outside in the freezing cold and then gave up. She has never smoked since and would absolutely consider herself a non-smoker.

What has this got to do with two thirds of Brits being on a diet most of the time? It’s about restraint...

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO