• Categories

• Club Members Area RSS Feed

Published on 7th March 2016 07:35 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Newsletter-Health,
    3. Newsletter-For Thought

The evidence for dietary fat guidelines

There was only one diet and health story for me last week. After starting a PhD in September 2012, I had my viva on March 4th and I’m delighted to say that I passed and have been awarded a doctorate.

This week’s note, therefore, shares what I’ve been doing for the past three years and the key findings...

The title ended up being: “An examination of the randomised controlled trial and epidemiological evidence for the introduction of dietary fat recommendations in 1997 and 1983: A systematic Review and Meta-Analysis.” Please don’t stop reading! It’s actually really easy to put this in terms of what this means for the person in the street.

1. Categories:
    2. Videos-Conferences

Dr Michael Eades
    To view full screen, just click the little icon at the bottom right hand corner of the video

1. Categories:
    2. Recipes-Phase 1 Meals,
    3. Recipes-Phase 2 Fat Meals,
    4. Recipes-Poultry

Tandoori ChickenTandoori Chicken

Tandoori chicken is a favourite for many on a trip to a local Indian restaurant and this Phase 1 friendly version can be made easily at home. Enjoy it hot as part of an Indian-at-home feast, or cold in your lunchbox.
    Published on 29th February 2016 07:30 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Newsletter-Bad Science

Of mice and men

The twitter hashtag has been #mousegate! The story has been quite astonishing in terms of huge claims made on a tiny base of nothing...

The story

An article was published on line on February 15th. It is on open view for those of you who like ‘The Full Monty’.

The study involved 17 pre-diabetic, obese, New Zealand mice. The mice were genetically disposed, and bred, to be fat and sick. Aged six weeks they were put on one of two diets: eight mice carried on having standard chow food; the other nine were put on what the researchers called a LCHF diet (Low Carb High Fat) diet. They stuck to these diets for nine weeks, during which time weight and blood glucose readings were taken. As the end of the nine weeks (animal lovers look away now), the mice were killed so that they could be tested under post mortem.

Published on 15th February 2016 07:30 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Newsletter-Health

BMI - from adults to children

Body Mass Index (BMI) has been in the news recently. I’ve picked out two stories from the past fortnight on this little formula – because that’s all it is – a person’s weight in kilograms, divided by their height in meters squared.

The evidence base for BMI

Just as other public health advice (5-a-day, 14 and 21 alcohol units, 150 minutes exercise a week, 30% of calories from fat, 10% of calories from saturated fat...) is not evidence based, so BMI categories are not evidence based. They are also numbers ‘plucked from thin air’.

Published on 8th February 2016 08:00 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Newsletter-Health,
    3. Newsletter-For Thought

Blood Pressure: Is lower better?

Imagine that a doctor said: “I’d like you to take this pill. It will reduce your risk of dying by 30%.” You’d pretty seriously consider it, if not jump at the chance...

The story

I happened to be in the car, with Radio 4 tuned in, last Wednesday at 3.30pm. Dr. Mark Porter’s programme, Inside Health, had just started and I heard a researcher saying that his trial had been stopped just over three years into a five year study because the benefit was already so dramatic. This is the holy grail of randomised controlled trials – ‘we just had to stop the trial because it was unethical not to treat the control group because the intervention group was doing so well’. Having seen this happen more than once, it can also happen, funnily enough, when gaps that had emerged between the two groups start to narrow...

1. Categories:
    2. Videos-Conferences

Dr Eric Westman
    To view full screen, just click the little icon at the bottom right hand corner of the video

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO