View RSS Feed

HealthyStart

Blood Sugar Monitor

Rate this Entry
After a couple of stressful weeks at work and falling off the waggon (AGAIN!) I am more determined than ever to get back to it. Having said that, I'm easing into it as you will see from my menu choices.

Yesterday I treated myself to a blood glucose monitor as I've never had any sort of test at the Drs. I'm glad to say that I haven't had to visit a doctor for more years than I can remember. I was slightly worried that, with all my choc, buscuits and cake as well as some weight gain (9lbs) I might be becoming pre-diabetic. I knew it was really a bit of hypochondria but I was prepared to spend 37 at Boots to make sure I was OK. I also wanted to know how meals were affecting me and whether I had hypoglycemia.

I'm glad to say that I didn't discover anything remarkable.

I was very pleased last night, 2 hrs after dinner (sausages, carrot and green beans), to be a very average 4.6 mmol/l. When I woke up today I was 4.3 which rose to 4.4 after my breakfast of avocado, mushrooms, cucumber and olive oil. However when I felt hungry before lunch I did another test and I was down to 3.9. That's only just under the 'normal' range so doesn't cause me any concern but explained why I was feeling hungry.

Lunch was a tin of Mackerel in Olive Oil with salad including beetroot, followed by a Kiwi. I knew the kiwi and possibly the beetroot would send my sugars up and I'm not surprised to see that I was 5.5 2hrs later but this is still in the normal range. It would have been interesting to see what my blood sugars were straight after eating it but my fingers are starting to feel like pin cushions so I'm not doing loads of tests. My monitor also doesn't like sunny weather as it's told me that it can't compute as it is too bright so I've had to do another test in my darkened bedroom meaning more holes in my fingers

So overall I'm pleased that my blood sugar levels are pretty much normal. Hurrah.

One of the reasons I wanted the monitor was because, in the early days of THD, I know that, when I get up in the morning, I can feel very light headed (my head swims) and shakey. It always settles down after about a week but I'd love to know what my blood sugar is looking like at that moment.

From tomorrow I will be fully Harcombe. I am just going out now to my local deli that does lovely bacon to make sure I've got enough for the next few days, my beef stew is in the slow cooker and I've got a couple of fatty pork chops in the fridge. Yum.

Submit "Blood Sugar Monitor" to Digg Submit "Blood Sugar Monitor" to del.icio.us Submit "Blood Sugar Monitor" to StumbleUpon Submit "Blood Sugar Monitor" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Well done for climbing back on to the wagon. I hope your blood glucose monitor shows you readings which you are happy with and that you lose the weight you had put on quickly.
    You know you're in the right place so welcome back. When you accept that this is your way of eating for the rest of your life you'll be totally sucessful.
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO