View RSS Feed

Darkalley37

A message to my future self

Rate this Entry
Having never even so much as kept a diary I am at the age of 52 (today) starting my first blog.

I'm doing it because I have found keeping a track of my progress by posting in threads really helps and I want to be able to look back at my entries if and when things get hard.

I have since the age of 19 been on a diet. I have tried many different types including the usuals like SW and WW. One diet I tried was called 'Stop The Insanity' by Susan Powter. It was a diet that advocated, as I recall, eating natural unprocessed foods that were low fat. Unfortunately low fat meant high carb and this didn't work for me long term. In fact the insanity continued and I even went on to try the Cambridge Weight Plan.

It's sad really because I have never been grossly overweight but I have never been happy with my size either. When I was in my mid to late 20s I was slim and athletic but I just didn't appreciate what I had. I can distinctly remember filling in a questionnaire after having my children. It asked if I'd ever been happy with my weight and my answer was "Yes, but I didn't know it at the time".

I don't know why I didn't feel good at the time but I wonder if it was because I was always on a diet. Always losing weight, feeling great and then celebrating by eating and drinking exactly what made me put on weight. It's a vicious circle.

In 2011 I found THD. It worked for me instantly. I was enjoying eating, I was eating proper food and it was easy to fit around family life. But something must have happened as I had a near 7 year hiatus, right?

It's hard to put my finger on what but having come back to it I can see there were areas of THD I hadn't completely understood.

The first one was introducing new foods. I went head first into P2 and introduced cheese, milk, fruit and cheats straight away. I also wasn't really clear on trying to have 3 meals a day and often ended up grazing. Finally, I didn't keep a record. I didn't have My Fitness Pal then and as I've said I certainly wasn't keeping a diary let alone a blog.

Even though I didn't follow THD during that 7 year period many of the principles stuck with me because they made sense and I think (P1 day 3 symptoms aside) that's why I've found it easier this time round.

So here I am today, older & wiser and although I'm not where I want to be weight-wise yet I'm happier with how I am now than I ever was in my 20s and that's not a bad place to be.

Submit "A message to my future self" to Digg Submit "A message to my future self" to del.icio.us Submit "A message to my future self" to StumbleUpon Submit "A message to my future self" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

This way of eating is not a diet but a life style change and one many of the members of this forum have happily stuck to for years maintaining their weight.

One of the keys is understanding the fairly simple rules and the reason WHY.

I've blogged on this site for a long time now and like you had never kept a diary, and find it a powerful tool for helping me see whats happening.
    And welcome to the world of blogging. It's fun and your title is great.
    Welcome to the happy group of bloggers here Alison.

Sometimes it really helps to refer back to what you were thinking and doing at a particular time in the past and you have made a good start with this.
    I've never blogged, but I've kept food diaries on and off all my life. My Harcombe diaries are, for the most part, in small notebooks...each covering about 3 months. When I briefly fell out of the diary habit, I realised just how vitally important it was to ME to keep a record. I now record it on my phone but think I may go back to a paper diary. It's something I can always refer back to...for support, for reminders of what works...and for what doesn't.
    [QUOTE=roseymary;bt17908]This way of eating is not a diet but a life style change and one many of the members of this forum have happily stuck to for years maintaining their weight.

One of the keys is understanding the fairly simple rules and the reason WHY.

I've blogged on this site for a long time now and like you had never kept a diary, and find it a powerful tool for helping me see whats happening.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely right, Rosemary it is a way of life and Iím hoping I can happily stick to it for years too.
    [QUOTE=Gilli;bt17912]Welcome to the happy group of bloggers here Alison.

Sometimes it really helps to refer back to what you were thinking and doing at a particular time in the past and you have made a good start with this.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Gilli. Iím sure it will help me. It has already.
    [QUOTE=grumbleweed;bt17926]I've never blogged, but I've kept food diaries on and off all my life. My Harcombe diaries are, for the most part, in small notebooks...each covering about 3 months. When I briefly fell out of the diary habit, I realised just how vitally important it was to ME to keep a record. I now record it on my phone but think I may go back to a paper diary. It's something I can always refer back to...for support, for reminders of what works...and for what doesn't.[/QUOTE]

I also use a phone Gw which is handy but I like the blogging because it helps me see what my mindset is.
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO