Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oh dear !I quoted Zoe and now im having a debate!

Default Oh dear !I quoted Zoe and now im having a debate!

I quoted Zoe on my FB, about people being bigger arent overweight cos theyre greedy etc, and now a "friend" found the quote a load of nonsense and finds the whoe thing nuts!!! She even says that people ARE weak willed and Greedy! There really is no getting through to some people!!

Sometimes silence leads for a quieter life, I like to try to leave people see how I am doing then get nosey and ask!

I really hand on heart know that it really is the conditions that make us 'weak willed' - getting rid of the sugar and processed crap makes me be able to not even want a bar from the snack box in work etc and that is something that has NEVER happened on any other way of eating - even Atkins had been hungry for sugar free 'treats'.

I know, she is just totally against it, thinks exercise and good food help but she wont listen. Tempted to just delete my status.

"Well you do what you want to do and I will continue to do what I want to do and we will stop judging each other for it" :-)

I am amazed how closed minded some people are Jo but all credit to your pal for losing 75lbs since Jan that must have been very hard work the way she s doing it, that would be my tactical response x

Indeed! Gettin a tad annoyed at people rubbishing it now gonna delete thread before I really get on my soapbox!

This happened to me on fb and now I am keeping quiet and letting pics of me speak for themselves!!!

The same friend who publicly slagged me off is now asking for advice as she has put so much weigh on!

I wouldn't delete my status. I would delete the comments I did not like. I've done it before. In the end it was like this:
    Friend: "Where did all the comments go?"
    Me: "What comments?"

It was funny... And soon forgotten

To be honest I think we all have a duty to ensure we do try to explain what we are doing and why we are doing it.

Perhaps we are not all as good as Zoe or Gary Taubes at explaining the underlying principles as clearly as they are able but the idea that in order to burn the surplus calories we have in stored fat we much first reduce our carbohydrate intake is simply common sense.
    [url=http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/0470743271/sr=8-1/qid=1317891263/ref=olp_tab_all?ie=UTF8&coliid=&me=&qid=1317891263&sr=8-1&seller=&colid=]Essential Biochemistry for Medicine Mitchell Fry[/url] is a text book for medical and biomedical undergraduates that presents a fully integrated approach to biochemistry and medicine and it has a reasonably easy explaination of the basics of a low carb higher fat approach.
    [quote] High-carbohydrate (low-fat) diet. In a diet consisting of 70% carbohydrates and 30% protein with no fat, some protein will be used for body building and repair, and some will be converted into glucose. All the carbohydrates will be converted to glucose initially. This will result in a rapid and sustained elevation in blood glucose levels, stimulating insulin production. Insulin stimulates cells to uptake glucose, as well as increasing appetite, causing most people to eat again not long after eating a high-carbohydrate meal. Insulin stimulates the body to store fat.
    Thus, a high-carbohydrate diet will provide excess of what is necessary for immediate energy usage. Some will be converted to glycogen and stored in the liver, but most is converted into fat for storage in the body tissues.
    • High-fat (low-carbohydrate) diet. In a diet consisting of 30% protein, 70% fat with no carbohydrates, proteins will be used as before, but in the absence of carbohydrates the body must ‘burn’ the fat it consumes. This causes the body to ‘convert’ to a fat-burning engine instead of being primarily a glucose-burning engine. Fats, unlike carbohydrates, have a high satiety factor; fats make you feel full, and the satiety lasts for hours. Therefore, you tend to consume fewer calories on a high-fat diet than on a high-carbohydrate diet. Also, with a lower carbohydrate intake, the levels of insulin are low. Therefore, the fat you eat tends not to be stored. Thus a high-fat diet, in the absence of carbohydrates, typically results in weight loss.”[/quote]
    Of course this only deals with one aspect of Zoe's approach and there is more to it than just reducing refined carbohydrates and increasing fat.

It's simply a matter of fact that[url=http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21736790] fat as it passes through the digestive system activates the release of the satiety hormones that govern hunger and fullness (cholecystokinin (CCK), glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1), peptide YY (PYY)). [/url]

We would regard as crazy anyone who suggested that we should remove the brakes from our cars and just use will power and self discipline to control our speed. Why isn't it thought just as crazy to remove the brakes on our appetite by reducing the fat, that activates CCK,GLP-1& PYY secretion, from our diet?

karolina, i love it! think i might LOL!