Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How To We Help Our Children To Avoid Our Painful Past

farrview
    Visitor

Default How To We Help Our Children To Avoid Our Painful Past

Hi
    I have been on THP for a few weeks and am finally in charge of my body. First time ever. I am so a convert it makes so much sense. When asked I say I am on a whole food eating plan and only go on to explain the three rules to those who really do want to know. Saves me the lectures on ' are you on one of thosessilly fad diets?" Been there, done that
    I am an early childhood teacher. I am just finishing our long Christmas break and go back to a new group of four year olds. I have the dual role of encouraging parents to pack healthy lunches and encouraging their children to eat it. I also have the responsibility of expanding the children's understanding of healthy eating.
    I have found that many many young parents fall into the trap of thinking if it says 'fruit' on the label it must be good for them. So my little people come along with lunch boxes full of high sugar yoghurts and fruit strings, blocks, bars etc. Of course they all cost more than NYL and some berries! The Health Curriculum is predictably food pyramid based with lots of carbs at the wide end. I have realised I have a dilemma.
    Maybe this could be an area for Zoe to expand and investigate. The young parents want to feed their children well but have such conflicting messages, the fruit issue being just one. Has anyone else addressed this with their own young children on a family level?
    My children have grown and flown, blessedly with no weight issues but undoubtedly the usual mish mash of government issued health misinformation as I understood it.

While I think the approach in phase 3 of THD is doable for kids there are lots of examples of healthy packed lunches and foods for kids at
    http://nomnompaleo.com Nom Nom Paleo's blog that would encourage healthy attitudes to trying different foods.

I think if you start trying to re-educate the kids or their mums in the current climate you are going to be putting your job on the line.
    Tom Naughton at http://www.fathead-movie.com/ has several blog posts where he details the way he and his wife have had to "beat the system" and provide their kids with packed lunches that fitted the "official" idea of what constituted a balanced meal and also met their own low carb/healthy eating standards.

farrview
    Visitor

Yes thanks, it's an area that does need addressing or the same misinformation will continue.
    Maybe these groups gradually being formed around the place with newbies would be a good place to start. Many will have children.Some information designed for children could be developed. Children do need a mentored and supported approach of course. If my children were still at home I would be trying to explain the principles.
    I might form one in my area in a few months when my credibility is higher. As someone who has lost a lot of weight (not THP) but put on some and am now getting down and plan to remain there (with THP) I have some visibility around my small world. Can try. I get asked often. Phase 3 would work well for children who are healthy and not obese. Sadly I see more obese children at my school.

It's interesting stuff. I'm just glad that my husband and I have discovered all of this before trying to have children.

I think Zoe is working on a book on Harcombe for families - looking forward to that.

[QUOTE=Alix;134451]my husband and I have discovered all of this before trying to have children.[/QUOTE] Yes it's amazing.
    The quality of the egg and sperm is reflected in the longevity of the the next generations.
    You can't now influence the genetic quality of the eggs in your body (your husband can alter his sperm quality as raising vitamin d status improves their swimming ability) but you can by ensuring optimal nutrition through pregnancy/lactation through to age 10 ensure the eggs that develop in your daughter's body are fit for purpose.
    Sweden had some years of good/poor harvest and that was reflected in the longevity of the grandchildren of those who experienced feast or famine while child rearing.

With 2 toddlers, I am always interested in any of these children related threads.It would be great to have a place on here to post kid friendly meals, ideas etc. For instance, I made some rock cakes with my 2 the other day with non wheat flour and only one ounce of sugar (28g) it had dried fruit in of course but better than the usual 125g or so sugar per recipe that would be in other cake recipes.

Anyone know anything about the sugar/stevia leaf product that's been advertised at the mo? Would it be a good way to reduce their sugar further? so that rock cake recipe could be maybe only 1/2 ounce ( notwithstanding that they shouldn't have it at all I know) We bake weekly ( don't buy processed stuff) which they enjoy both baking and eating! Not always sweet things- cheese straws are a fave too. Would love to hear from anyone else who bakes good things for their kids.....

I've drastically reduced the amount of sugar in the things I generally bake for/with the kids. Halving it and they just don't notice, and I often add much less. So as to not give them too much of a shock I've been using spelt recently, which I know has much less of a bad effect on me as refined modern flour, and I hope is a step in the right direction. I'm also quite adept at grating apples, carrots or courgettes into cakes! Very slow procedure with my two - eldest has major issues with food textures and fear of trying new food. Probably all my fault, but I'm more relaxed about his diet since starting THD.

oh yes good suggestion and probably obvious to just ignore what the recipe says and put in less! Thanks for that. Also the grated carrot and apple tip for the extra sweetness. I was using wholemeal flour til fairly recently but now use a non wheat one which has a mix of different things but mainly rice flour I think. I think it actually makes for much ligther textures. Is spelt the best/better (healthwise) than this rice flour one do you think?

I haven't tried non-wheat. What is the brand you use? Sounds interesting. Spelt is still a kind of wheat, but is definitely less bloating than normal wheat flour, so I consider it an improvement for my two!

I bought it in waitrose- it's called Doves Farm they do a plain and self rasing version. Flour blend Ingredients are: rice potato tapioca maize buckwheat. says it's gluten & wheat free. Oh, just found this..http://www.dovesfarm.co.uk/gluten-free/gluten-free-flour-and-baking/
    Let me know what you think.
    Bea