Thread: How to cook joint of pork in the slow cooker?

Default How to cook joint of pork in the slow cooker?

I have a pork shoulder joint for tomorrow and I'd like to cook it in the slow cooker. So far I've only cooked casseroles - smaller pieces of meat with veg - and am a bit unsure how to cook a joint of meat. I'm guessing pork shoulder would be nice done in the slow cooker as it is a cut best cooked slowly. But how do I cook it? Do I add liquid? how long to cook it for? It is a 1.3kg boneless joint. Help please!
    3 stone gone forever! Gluten free phase 3.

If it is for Sunday lunch,start it tonight. Put some sliced onions,herbs and garlic in the bottom of your cooker. Place the joint on top and season well. Add water-not much-maybe so it's about 2 fingers deep in the cooker. Start on High for first hour-then turn to low for the duration.

I am also doing Pork Shoulder tomorrow! It's easy and tastes loverly - it falls apart!

No need to add water - the fat covers that amply!
    Phase 3 for 5 years. Chocolate, Coffee & Paleo Purist!

Quote Originally Posted by grumbleweed View Post
    If it is for Sunday lunch,start it tonight. Put some sliced onions,herbs and garlic in the bottom of your cooker. Place the joint on top and season well. Add water-not much-maybe so it's about 2 fingers deep in the cooker. Start on High for first hour-then turn to low for the duration.
    It's for tomorrow evening - will be eating about 7pm. So I guess I can put it in in the morning?
    3 stone gone forever! Gluten free phase 3.

Club Plus Member princesspentium's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Putting it on in the morning wold be fine. I put a joint of lamb in the slow cooker yesterday morning at 7:30am and it's was in for 11 hours! It was fab! So tender. Just had onions, stock, bit of red wine & a couple of sprigs of fresh rosemary.

Ruthie
    A river cuts through rock, not because of its power, but because of its persistence.

agree with Lizzi... no need for water. just experiment and leave until the pork is soft and tender, ( and the fat is so tasty )

Registered Guest

Sounds good, will have to try it in the slow cooker. I usually make a whole chicken in there. Comes out good. Today I roasted it in the oven. It was fine. After dinner I got the rest of the meat off, but left it on the plate with the bones. Then scraped it all into the trash. Silly me, should have put the meat on another plate or in plastic.