Page 90 of 90 FirstFirst ... 40808687888990

Thread: New Users Say Hi!

Blog Entries

Hello from me too, Bovgirl. Sounds like you’ve got a pretty good handle on THD, so keep asking questions to fine-tune your knowledge!

I just read an article by Dr. Malcolm Kendrick where he mentions PPI’s and magnesium, so it’s good you’re supplementing with Mg. However, if it’s acid reflux you’re treating with the PPI, that should naturally resolve itself once you eliminate the offending foods from your diet. That’s what Phase 1 is all about: it’s the bare-bones basic diet that generally won’t trigger any conditions (unless you’re intolerant to certain meats, fish, eggs, dairy or vegetables).

Have you seen and answered the Candida Questionnaires? That might be a good place to start, to help you decide if you think you need to go back to P1 for a little bit longer.

Here are the links:

http://theharcombedietclub.co.uk/Jan...naire-gjsd.pdf

and

http://www.theharcombedietclub.com/f...1&d=1269687571
    Phase 1 makes me feel like my vibrating nervous system has been switched off. Blissful calm.

Quote Originally Posted by roseymary View Post
    The others have said it all. I agree with Gilli you still look to be on the low fat side of things.

Have you mmeasured yourself as on this way of eating you do lose fat not muscle so you may "way heavier" but have smaller measurements. Also BMI works perfectly for people height 5' 4" and is a bit off for taller people. For example Andy Zoë's husband is tall and muscular (a definite hunk) and BMI calculations put him in the overweight category which he most definitely isn't.
    Yes, thanks for reminding me about the BMI thing for taller people. I haven't measured myself so I shall do that. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Peapod View Post
    Hello from me too, Bovgirl. Sounds like you’ve got a pretty good handle on THD, so keep asking questions to fine-tune your knowledge!

I just read an article by Dr. Malcolm Kendrick where he mentions PPI’s and magnesium, so it’s good you’re supplementing with Mg. However, if it’s acid reflux you’re treating with the PPI, that should naturally resolve itself once you eliminate the offending foods from your diet. That’s what Phase 1 is all about: it’s the bare-bones basic diet that generally won’t trigger any conditions (unless you’re intolerant to certain meats, fish, eggs, dairy or vegetables).

Have you seen and answered the Candida Questionnaires? That might be a good place to start, to help you decide if you think you need to go back to P1 for a little bit longer.

Here are the links:

http://theharcombedietclub.co.uk/Jan...naire-gjsd.pdf

and

http://www.theharcombedietclub.com/f...1&d=1269687571
    Thanks, I did do the questionnaire before I started and I returned to it after a week of Phase 1 and thought I was good to go to Phase 2 (in truth, the lure of cheese - which I have not eaten in years- was the decider so perhaps I rushed it a bit!). I shall give this some thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilli View Post
    I realise that we all have our bug bears, and one of mine is wheat. If I eat wheat I set off all sorts of inflammation which would, of course, lead to swelling and weight gain. This may not be a problem for you, but it is just possible that the shredded wheat may be causing your problem losing in phase 2.

Your lunches and dinners look good to me.

Your medication sounds familiar to me from friends who have discussed various issues of their own, but I am afraid I am not sufficiently well informed to advise on the effects they may have on weight loss/gain.

and there is more . . .
    After what you and Hoffi Coffi said, Gilli, I decided to go easy on the carb meals as I was having one a day and, as you both pointed out, the mix of wheat and fruit (reintroduced at the same time in a rookie error) was probably not helping.

Last night, I decided I fancied a bowl of porridge for tea and I followed it with an apple. I went to bed about four hours later and had the worst night's sleep I've had since starting THD. Do you think it could be linked? I did my usual 'trick' of waking in the early hours and being unable to get back to sleep

Blog Entries

Hi Bovgirl. Hard to know if the poor sleep is porridge related, but you have my sympathy in any event. I have not had an unbroken night for decades, but have never really found a cause.
    Gilli - DLTBGYD

Hi Bovegirl,

I sympathize about the broken night. Just wondering what you make your porridge with - Dairy is the second most frequent intolerance after wheat.

I hope you find the answer soon.

Blog Entries

Could it have been hunger? I find carb meals leave me hungry and wanting to eat again within a few hours.

Apart from that zero idea.
    Rosemary

I don't know if I have the full answer yet but it seems that if I have a carb meal for dinner, my sleep is definitely not as good.

Blog Entries

That can certainly be the case.

If you have a carb meal before bed, you will likely get a spike in blood sugar which then leads to a crash into blood sugar (tte the body tends to produce too much insulin).

This crash can definitely cause you to wake up!
    The worst bigots in the world are those who most loudly proclaim their ‘tolerance’