Thread: Starting Phase 1 - planning phase 2!

Default Starting Phase 1 - planning phase 2!

Hi!

I'm new to the forum - I've started phase 1 today, and so far so good. I don't drink hot drinks, so I'm just drinking water and I must say, I'm missing my afternoon can of diet coke, and I usually chew gum for most of the day so the associated lack of movement in my jaw and minty flavour in my mouth has been noticeable, but not unbareable.

I had a great lunch of quorn and oven roasted vegetable salad - I'm a vegetarian, so I'm just trying to play with quorn to make sure I'm still getting my protein. But I did have my salad plain today for the first time ever! I ALWAYS have a dressing so I was apprehensive but I really enjoyed tasting the actual food!

I've started THD after having done weight watchers for a while, i did have great success on weight watchers, losing 2 stone and have now stabalised my weight at a healthy level, but as a dancer and aerial performer I'm keen to reduce my body fat further (I spend lots of time in hot pants and crop tops!).. I found that I just couldn't get any further with weight watchers and I fell off the band wagon.

I'm really excited to lose the extra weight and feel confident around my slim dancer friends!! I haven't read through the whole book yet, as I was keen to get going and learn as I go, so I just wanted to check - can you do Phase 1 for longer than 5 days? I was thinking of maybe doing it for 10 (close friends wedding the weekend after next, so would be delighted if I could lose about 5 pounds for then..) Also, when I decide to move onto phase 2, where does pesto fit? I LOOOOVE mediterranean vegetables with Pesto, so would be keen to know how it gets classified.

Thanks! (sorry for the essay)

Supermember 2010-14 hattie the cattie's Avatar

Welcome to the forum & good luck.

Phase 1 can be done for as long as you like but it can be very restrictive for vegetarians so you might be better moving slowly to Phase 2 after the 5 days. Strictly speaking quorn is best saved for Phase 2.
    Pesto is strictly mixing but a little home made in Phase 2 should be OK, you can always leave the pine nuts out.
    See my Visitor Messages for more about me & My Album for photos

Oh really?! In the book it says that quorn is ok in phase 1 - it's on the food list :-( I've eaten it for lunch and dinner! Oops! Are there any good recipes for harcombe friendly pesto as this will be a must... Or do you know what I should avoid in the recipe? (I don't like pine nuts anyway!)

Supermember 2010-14 hattie the cattie's Avatar

Which page Samie ?
    As far as I know tofu is OK in Phase 1 but quorn is avoided for the same reason as mushrooms, the fungus feeds candida.

It's just the pine nuts that would be a problem in pesto if you're having it with veg, it's more of a problem if you wanted to have it with pasta.
    See my Visitor Messages for more about me & My Album for photos

It's on page 5 of the blue book - stop counting calories and start losing weight recipe book...

Welcome to the forums!!

Hi and welcome! Kate is right - tofu is ok for phase 1 and quorn in phase 2. Don't worry about it, though - it takes a little while to get used to! At least you're eating good, healthy food! Keep at it and come to the forums often if you have any questions - everyone on here is very friendly and helpful

Gggrrrr.... my reply last night doesn't seem to have sent! It says in my blue book (stop counting calories start losing weight recipe book) that you can have Quorn in phase 1. Perhaps I have got an old book or something? It definitely says I can have it though - as I've been following it rigorously! Can't remember the page now, but it's pretty near the front where it breaks down all of the foods you're allowed in Phase 1. Hey ho, I'll just have to cut it out from now on, I don't think I've ever had tofu before!

I'm suprised that I've got the headache that everyone's been talking about - i thought this might be due to lack of caffeine but I only have one can of diet coke a day - other than that I only drink water, could this be from the lack of sugar (usually eat lots of chocolate!!) I'm feeling quite lacking in energy today, I was in a really grumpy mood last night too as I didn't enjoy my dinner!

Good luck with.

I've just checked the new recipe book,and it does state that Quorn is ok on Phase 1-as long as you do not suffer from candida,as it is made from a fungus.