Thread: Parkas curry paste.

Forum Member

Default Parkas curry paste.

I'm fancying a curry for tonight, and remembered I've got jars of Pataks Tikka and Madras paste in the cupboard.
    Ingredients for Madras are: veg oil, water, salt, tamarind,cumin, turmeric,chilli, maize flour(?) ground ginger, garlic powder, spices (contains mustard) acetic acid, citric acid, lactic acid.
    Is this ok, I guess the maize flour and veg oil are naughty, but there isn't going to be too much to affect me in one portion is there?

Forum Member

Sorry should read Pataks curry paste.

There's no comparison between cooking a curry fresh and using a paste. Use a paste if you don't have the spices. If you even have some basic spices then you might want to make your own base sauce. Simply saute onions, add some garlic and ginger. when all golden brown add salt, chilli powder, paprika, curry powder, some cumin and corriander, half a tin of tomatoes or fresh tomatoes and you're there.

Mmmmm - I really fancy curry now!
    The worst bigots in the world are those who most loudly proclaim their ‘tolerance’

Forum Member

Siryan81 thanx for that, but I have had these jars since before I started THD, and just wondered if they would be ok to use or not. I do have all the spices etc needed, and do enjoy making my own curries, but just for speed, and a lack of waste I thought I'd use up the jars first.
    If not used I'll just give to friends!

The tamarind in the curry paste isn't great for THD, it's a very sticky sugary fruit. There probably isn't much in it and if you want the curry I don't suppose it will do any great harm.
    It's easy enough to make your own curry paste for next time.....

5 cloves garlic
    1 large chunk root ginger chopped
    1 red chilli deseeded and chopped ( leave seeds in if you like it hot! )
    2 tsp ground cumin
    2 tsp ground coriander
    1 tsp turmeric
    1 tsp garam masala
    1 tsp paprika
    4 cardamom seeds
    Oil

Just whizz it all together in a food processor and mix with oil to make a paste.
    You can adjust the recipe to suit your taste.
    This will keep in the fridge for a week.

Going to make some of this very soon