Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Arrrghg! 6 weeks on THD and still gaining

Thanks everyone, I do feel the need to exercise a lot to keep my weight down but I don't eat extra to compensate. Been on 3 meals a day, no snacks for 5 of my 6 THD weeks. I had a small snack of carrot batons or a chicken drumstick on my first week, but mainly because I don't eat between 12 noon and 9pm otherwise which is a bit long for anyone I feel, if you are doing a 10 miler or spinning. I do have a hormone imbalance that is being investigated for links to weight gain.....can THD work even with hormone imbalances? 3 meals today....breakfast at 6.30, lunch at 12.30, dinner at 9.00pm. Quite a long gap there because of work hours and was ok.

Have decided I must ditch all forms of dairy and even berries until I start to lose again based on your advice.

Thanks everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzi S View Post
    I would only eat like Paula if you are exercising like Paula. If you are only doing a few miles you don't really need carbs. I used to easily run 6 miles and eat all fat meals, as well as cycle for 40 miles at race pace.
    Hi Lizzi, I regularly run 10 miles and at the time I was 'snacking' was training for a marathon myself- my runs were 19 miles at a time too. I need to exercise 6-8 sessions a week spread over 6 days to even maintain my weight sadly. I don't eat anything like the amount of food Paula eats! I wish I could get away with it- the luxury!

Today....eggs and NLY (before I banned it!), chicken salad and pork steaks with butter veg and diced chorizo. Am certain am doing it right now.......eating patterns have only differed in the last 3 weeks with the addition of goat milk and occasional strawbs and cream after dinner (weekends).

How come you have to exercise so much? I stopped manically exercising when I started THD, as it didn't make any difference to weight loss.
    "Whatever we are, whatever we make of ourselves, is all we will ever have - and that, in its profound simplicity, is the meaning of life." Philip Appleman

Quote Originally Posted by MissyLovejoy View Post
    Today....eggs and NLY (before I banned it!), chicken salad and pork steaks with butter veg and diced chorizo. Am certain am doing it right now.......eating patterns have only differed in the last 3 weeks with the addition of goat milk and occasional strawbs and cream after dinner (weekends).
    Be careful with chorizo and these types of meats. Both Zoe and Mark Sissons warn of them hampering weight loss as they are quite processed.
    "Whatever we are, whatever we make of ourselves, is all we will ever have - and that, in its profound simplicity, is the meaning of life." Philip Appleman

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzi S View Post
    How come you have to exercise so much? I stopped manically exercising when I started THD, as it didn't make any difference to weight loss.
    I exercise for enjoyment, stress relief and maintainence. I have a condition that is very rare and only just under control which means I have too much oestrogen which causes epilepsy. My weight has been stuck for 4 years now despite constant dieting and exercise. The impact of oestrogen dominance and possible hypothyroidism is just being investigated though will take time. Very frustrating that there is no quick fix

The chorizo was a one-off today as could only find smoked bacon lardons.....will watch it from now. Thanks.

I am doubtful you would need to exercise that much. Exercise virtually makes no difference to weight loss, especially as you know yours is more to do with your health condition. I ran every day for 6 years and didn't lose a pound. On THD I lost 1 1/2 stone with no exercise. Even latest medical research is coming around to this way of thinking. I now do moderate, natural exercise for good health, not weight loss.

Last time I stopped exercise I gained 11 pounds in 2 weeks. You don't fully understand my physiology, so please don't doubt me Lizzi. Trust me, I need to exercise that much. The medication I take for my epilepsy brings with it a risk of osteoporosis. The strengthening and spinning classes I do 5 times a week in addition to my running are my way of mitigating against some of that damage. I know my body.

Is there a chance that you could also be stressing your body out exerting it that much, I know a couple of the girls who marathon trained ended up putting on weight.

I would guess medically your body is a bit under the weather to say the least - maybe you just should concentrate on eating the healthy foods and accept the weight loss will come when your body has healed itself. The body will heal itself over time with nourishing foods. I stayed the same and gained and frequently have plateaus but I know my body is slowly coming around (thyroid issues, PCOS, hormone imbalance etc) and healing itself and I have managed to lose nearly 2 stone in 10 months and I have about another 2 stone to go. It is frustrating but you WILL find what foods work for you and that is when you will really start to know your body.

Phase 1 clearly worked ok for you, so it must be something you added, by eliminating you will eventually find it - unfortunately our bodies are not necessarily machines that we need to stick in the right formula to work. Sometimes it can be a cumulative effect that may upset the system which is why something may seem ok for a couple of days then you get a quick water gain out of the blue. Stick with it and I am sure you will find answers if you give it time.