Thread: Best THD altervative to animal milk?

Default Best THD altervative to animal milk?

Morning everyone,

You were right- indulging in ANY dairy regularly appears to have been at least part of the source of my gains and general bloating.
    In your experience, which is the best alternative to animal milk, given that Soya seems to be a definite 'no-no'?

All seem to be a bit carby based on my scans of a few packages and have added vegetable oil. I am wanting to make egg custards as opposed to using the milk with a carb meal....

Any help greatly appreciated

Best wishes

Jo

Thats a really tough one, I've just tried googling it for you and have come up with this

http://www6.netrition.com/blue_diamo...nd_breeze.html

Its an unsweetened blend of almond and coconut milk. As far as I can work out it has one gram of carbs per 100ml. apparently it tastes quite coconutty which might not work with your egg custards.

Another option is this one as apparently it has little taste. It also has one gram of carbs per 100ml
    http://www4.netrition.com/native_for...onut_milk.html

Hope this helps
    Jen

If you have a dairy allergy, meaning you are allergic to the proteins in animal milk then your options are these, backed up with my personal experience of them:

Soya: only get ones with ingredients of soya beans and water / good in all hot drinks and cereals / low fat & carb so can be consumed with all meals / high in hormones / effectively a waste product / can be allergic to.

Almond milk: only get organic with no sweeteners / nice in cereals / affect the taste too much for hot drinks IMO / curdles / can be used in all meals / very expensive

Oat milk: only get organic with no sweeteners / carb meals only / taste foul in coffee & hot drinks IMO

Rice milk: same as oat

Coconut milk: make sure HF / fat meals only / tastes good in hot chocolate & smoothies but I didn't like it in anything else

If you have any more questions then I am happy to answer. I hope it helps. In case you were wondering, despite it being a horrible alternative, I still use soya as I find it more flexible. If you want to have babies at some point I wouldn't recommend it though.
    "Whatever we are, whatever we make of ourselves, is all we will ever have - and that, in its profound simplicity, is the meaning of life." Philip Appleman

Thanks Lizzi and Annie,

I think I might try a bit of coconut milk on berries next week, tentatively! The other versions of 'milk' seem to hurt my belly for some reason and this includes 'Lactofree'. I thought about taking a lactose enzyme supplement but feel it is wider factors than the sugars that keep me tubby! Great responses- very much appreciated

Try coconut cream with your strawberries Missylovejoy - its like coconut milk but much thicker. very little carbs too

Jen

I certainly will SweetAnnie and have ordered it Thank you. Feeling better without dairy! Managing to go 6 plus hours between meals at the mo and eat smaller amounts of protein even when I do eat. Appreciate your help

Quote Originally Posted by MissyLovejoy View Post
    Thanks Lizzi and Annie,

I think I might try a bit of coconut milk on berries next week, tentatively! The other versions of 'milk' seem to hurt my belly for some reason and this includes 'Lactofree'. I thought about taking a lactose enzyme supplement but feel it is wider factors than the sugars that keep me tubby! Great responses- very much appreciated
    Sounds like you have an allergy to the milk proteins. This has some great info:
    http://www.foodreactions.org/allergy/milk.html
    "Whatever we are, whatever we make of ourselves, is all we will ever have - and that, in its profound simplicity, is the meaning of life." Philip Appleman

I used goats milk as an alternative to cows which didn't cause a problem apart from me going OTT with it,maybe if I used it to cook with instead of every single drink I may have lost BUT it's a big MAY HAVE.
    Let me know how you get on with the coconut milk or cream

Thanks Kerry, I loved the goat milk and my digestion feels better having done 4 days with no animal milk at all or substitutes. No loss it seems, though ate a tandoori mixed grill (no naan or rice of course, just salad) for dinner and the yoghurt in the marinade seems to have had a negative effect on my belly. Grrrrr . Looking forward to experimenting with coconut milk x

Just got home from a long break and there's loads of milk to
    Be used up so everyone is having milky coffees and while I know I'm missing out my body doesn't like it so I'm sulking with a green tea and lemon lol
    I don't lose with goats milk but might use it as a treat in times like this when I fancy a milky coffee
    Instead of having it all the time

Teresa x
    Last edited by Kerrygirl73; 5th May 2012 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Spelling