Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Doctor

ReginaPhalange
    Visitor

Suzie I can only give anecdotal evidence! Before finding THD, I was desperate to lose my baby weight and it wasn't shifting. I googled 'the best way to lose weight' and came across loads of sites telling me it was simple, just create a 3500 calorie defecit in order to lose 1lb (I think that's the formula - I've blocked it from my head now!). Anyway, I got gym membership and went running for 45 mins, 4 times a week. I ate only 1200 calories a day, and apparently after the running I would've consumed 800 net calories! And not one single pound left my body! So the 'formula' does not work!

Not only that but I feel awful - tired, groggy, craving like mad, dry skin, hives, never could have enough sleep, dark circles round my eyes, dry skin, cracked heels, etc.

I had chronic hives for over ten years and never could find what I was allergic to. Since starting thd, my hives have gone.

My mum has 'zero thyroid function', and after thd she is now on the lowest dose of medication.

Our skin, hair, nails, eyes all look brighter and younger. Our cracked heels have gone. My hair grows faster and is in great condition. I no longer have dry skin on my face. We are no longer groggy and out of it, we sleep better and for less hours (we don't feel we need longer!) and wake with a spring.

My husband used to get what he thought was acne, which has now disappeared.

I could go on all day about how healthy we feel but I think you need to trust the diet, and get to that point so you can believe it for yourself. If you try it and still doubt how healthy it is, you can always go back to WLR. But I don't think you will want to!

One last thing - the doctors and government advice has only been around for the past 20/30 years (the blink of an eye in the grand scheme of things!!) and when did obesity become a problem?? No one has questioned it as we all eat 'healthily' and get fatter and fatter, and then are made to feel 'greedy'. I call this diet 'granny chic' because it's just plain old fashioned eating. And my granny said no one was fat in her day!!

Sorry if this comes out jumbled up - i am on the phone!

Supermember 2010-14 hattie the cattie's Avatar

It wasn't jumbled at all - it was a fantastic post & probably deserves a thread of it's own in "Success Stories" !
    See my Visitor Messages for more about me & My Album for photos

ReginaPhalange
    Visitor

[QUOTE=hattie the cattie;179500]It wasn't jumbled at all - it was a fantastic post & probably deserves a thread of it's own in "Success Stories" ![/QUOTE]

*blushes* thanks HTC!

Great posts. Prior to 1950, weight gain was blamed on sweets and carbs (ask grandma). How this got so mixed up was due to the misunderstood role of cholesterol in heart conditions, the increase in sugar/fructose consumption, and engineered, cheap wheat. I live in the US. It's the rare over-fifty person who isn't on statins, high blood pressure pills, and/or antidepressants. And I have to wonder (actually I'm fairly certain) how much a low fat, high grain/processed diet is the problem.

[QUOTE=Harmonious;179306]I just say to people that I just dont eat any processed food and only eat real food. They cant argue with that!!!!!![/QUOTE]

I can only reiterate this! Its so true.

I got into a discussion with a chap yesterday who says that he went on a course thirty years ago and they were shown just how the energy in energy out thing works. So he will not be told otherwise. In the end we agreed that OK in a perfect world this would be so, BUT what happens to the human body as they go on diet after diet, and why does he think that now at thirty years later he cant stick to a diet! He admits that he is putting on weight and doesn,t know what to do about it! Then his wife steps in and says the its all the booze. He eats the THD way and loves it, but loves his booze as well. Ah Well!!!!!

I haven't mentioned this diet to any of my friends, because I know that at the first suggestion that they kick the booze, they will discount it. There are a couple of them I actually worry about, they are always drinking, and strangely(?) they are probably heaviest!

SuzieW
    Visitor

Absolutely what HTC said - it wasn't jumbled at all and makes perfect sense. Thank you

The chap in question follows THD with his wife, but he cant be bothered to read the book or any handouts I give him!

Interesting thread! How do I know I am right? You can never know 100% as that is the nature of science, but I can review the evidence and decide for myself which side of the fence I fall on. I used to believe beyond all doubt that fat in my food was the thing that was making me gain weight and be unhealthy, I believed that if you had more than one egg a day terrible things would happen. Why did I believe this? Because the Doctors and the government told me so! The thing that convinced me whole heartedly about not giving two hoots about fat in food is the Mathematics (or the statistics to be precise!). While I may not be not be medically trained, I am mathematically trained and am able to grasp enough of the science stuff to be able to understand the statistical analysis of it. I have been also convinced by what I have read from many authors who are medically/scientifically trained (Dr Kendrick, Dr Cambell-McBride, Gary Taubes etc) explaining what the researchers have been doing to twist what the data says (it is very easy to do this if you know how!). Also, the constant conflict of interest that can be found in the funding of the research papers that support a low fat/high carb diet vs independent writers who support high fat/low carb who have little financial gain and no conflict of interest from writing these books or spreading their message. Looking back on the history of how all this low fat/high carb message started (because of heart disease rise) is also a key factor as well. Long story short it got pushed on us basically because some politicians couldn't wait until all the evidence was in because they had to be seen to be doing something about heart disease right away! Start taking into account the Paleo side of things (what is the diet man has survived on for millions of years?) and the evidence is mounting higher and higher in favour of high fat/low carb. Add to all this my personal experience that my weight is down 3 stone, and I haven't been to see the Doctor once since I started THD in October 2009 and I also came off all medications straight away (let alone that I all this fat hasn't caused me a heart attack yet!), where as before THD I was at the hospital at least once a month and at the Doctors most weeks with a wide variety of physical and mental health issues while being on several different medications. Unless equally extensive evidence can be presented to me and explained to me that can convince me that all of what I've just written about is completely and utterly wrong (and not just because "the Doctor/government says so"!) then I am going to stick to my beliefs that this is the right way to be optimally healthy.

sjc it is the booze that I miss and I know I CAN have it in Phase 2 if I want to but so want to get the weight off that I am really trying not to have wine!