Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Doing the Harcombe Diet the Vegetarian Way

Default Doing the Harcombe Diet the Vegetarian Way

Are there any vegetarians doing the Harcombe diet on the Forum at the moment.

I have done Phase 1 (twice) and am now back on Phase 2, I tried to eat chicken, but couldn't at all, the taste, the texture, the knowing that something had died to feed me, when I have a veggie patch full of vegetables I could have eaten so that was a real NO, well that and my 32 chickens running around in the paddock looking at me with those menacing eyes, saying 'how could you Mum' !!

I can just about eat fish if it comes in a packet without it's head, but I don't really want to, I tried last week to please my Mum (for God's sake I'm 52 and still trying to please my Mum!!). The other thing that holds me back is being a Lifetime Member of the Vegetarian Society, my certificate beams down at me from the wall, making me be good. I like my decision to be a vegetarian anyway, it sits lightly with me.

I just wondered if I am a lone voice here at the moment or is there someone out there that can inspire me with their THD story and maybe even some new recipes, there's only so much Ratatouille a girl can eat!! (Only kidding Zoe there are a lot of veggie recipes in the book I know, and up to now they have all tasted very good.)

Is there a vegetarian group on here and if so how do I find it, or should I start one?

Maybe I'm just a bit disillusioned at the moment.

circuitron
    Visitor

Hi Sue

It's really interesting to find your post because I had the same question!

A brief background:
    I lost about 3st on Atkins eating a LOT of meat. I then became vegetarian and found it difficult to do Atkins without the meat. For the last five years I've known full well that carbs don't agree with me, but I felt there was nothing left if I cut them out. I'm allergic to Quorn which doesn't help!

My sister recommended THD to me and my fiancee who's also veggie. We both lost a stone in phase 1, and my Atkins experience has helped us incorporate some extra ideas to keep the variety going. I limit myself to 30g carbs, stay away from caffeine and don't eat chocolate or sugar ever. I don't eat bread, potatoes, root veg (except onion), grains etc. I have one, max two caffeinated drinks a week when I genuinely feel tired, otherwise it's 2L sparkling water a day.

Like you, we have tried to stray. We've grudgingly eaten fish. Canned is kind of manageable, but fresh fish went in the bin. We're not going to eat meat, that's for sure!

As for food, here are a few ideas:

- If you eat soy, those frozen tofu chunks from chinese supermarkets make good 'chips', particularly fried in butter. I know soy isn't good for us really, but I feel things like tofu are useful for variety (in moderation etc).
    - Mashed cauliflower with butter and pepper is a reasonable potato substitute which opens up a few doors. You can make veggie shepherd's pie with it for example.
    - Veggie 'chilli' is a really nice treat. We don't use beans but use green veg, seasoning and replace the stodge with really ripe avocado.
    - Kallo brown rice cereal if you're sick of eggs. I limit myself to 20g and have rice milk (got out of the habit of drinking cow's milk on Atkins, and rice is a little more palatable on cereal than unflavoured soy milk).
    - Asparagus fried in butter with poached eggs or hollandaise (use a tiny squirt of lemon juice instead of vinegar if you're not eating vinegar).
    - My fiance makes omelettes with onion and beansprouts (a recipe he picked up from Singapore). Tomato puree is a good ketchup substitute to perk them up a bit.
    - Marinaded grilled aubergines are nice cooked with plenty of olive oil and rosemary and a drop of lemon juice. Add a few pine nuts if you can handle them.
    - Make sandwich wraps from thin omelettes. You can also use grilled aubergine.
    - Crustless quiche - this turned out really well, and if you have chickens you should have enough eggs for it too!
    - If you're stuck at a BBQ, portobello mushrooms make good 'burger buns' (if you are eating mushrooms). We try to stick to skewers of halloumi, peppers, tomato etc instead.
    - Low carb almond pancakes and 'Mock Danish' are two good options for breakfast or dessert. These are Atkins friendly recipes, not really THD recipes, but I'm thinking of adding them into my diet as we're very stuck at breakfast time and this is my 'danger zone'! I try to stick to berries for natural sweetness rather than using any Splenda. (I used to have cream with these but on THD that's mixing.)
    - We eat a lot of Greek and particularly Cretan food. Marinaded veggies, deep fried courgettes, tomatoes stuffed with mint and rice, halloumi etc.
    - Veggie curries in creamy sauces (e.g. korma) or a curry with paneer or spinach. Instead of rice, fry button mushrooms in butter and garlic.
    - Veg fried in butter with optional egg fried rice is great.
    - On Atkins I mixed melted butter and cocoa powder with something naturally sweet when I had a chocolate craving.

As you can see, carbs are my main concern, so I do sometimes mix. This is more out of desperation than anything else - I think as veggies our options are pretty limited! A veggie friendly group is a really good idea and would really help us out. Let me know if you need a hand with it.

Some of my Vegetarian Friendly recipes (You'll have to copy and paste the URL's as links can't be posted on the open forum.):

Cream of Tomato Soup (swap chicken stock for veg stock!):
    http://www.theharcombedietclub.com/forum/entry.php?975-Cream-of-Tomato-Soup

Dolmades:
    http://www.theharcombedietclub.com/forum/entry.php?882-Dolmades-%28Stuffed-Veg%29

Kabak Yemeği (Turkish Courgette Meze)
    http://www.theharcombedietclub.com/forum/entry.php?880-Kabak-Yeme%C4%9Fi-%28Turkish-Courgette-Meze%29

Barbunya Pilakisi (Beans) Recipe
    http://www.theharcombedietclub.com/forum/entry.php?674-Barbunya-Pilakisi-%28Beans%29-Recipe

Harcombe Friendly Banana and Carrot Cake
    http://www.theharcombedietclub.com/forum/entry.php?168-Harcombe-Friendly-Banana-and-Carrot-Cake

Grilled Goats Cheese Salad
    http://www.theharcombedietclub.com/forum/entry.php?26-Grilled-Goats-Cheese-Salad

Hope you find them useful!

Supermember 2010-14 hattie the cattie's Avatar

There have been a few vegetarians who have successfully lost weight eating this way. Please try to avoid soya it's not very nice stuff!

Some suggestions from a previous vegetarian thread -

Breakfast: I have almost every day half a pot Total Greek NLY(250g) with cinnamon and blueberries. I wake up really looking forward to my breakfast and it seems to take me 4-5 hours before I feel hungry (i know that its not the case for all).

Lunch: I generally have an egg based dish (omelettes with different fillings and sometimes with different cheeses depending on what I am having for my evening meal) plus salad or green veg or leftovers (there isn't usually much!).

Evening meal: I have had quite a lot of the low carb veggie meals from the THD recipe book but I have found lots of other recipes- corgette and ricotta cheesecake is a particular favorite. I have made other recipes that I have found recommended on the Forum like Nigel Slaters thyme and cheese souffle and aubergine parmigiana. I often have cauliflower, brocolli and leeks with cheese sauce (either mixed or separate). Roast veg is another favourite - sometimes with tomato sauce (and sometimes with cheese) All of these are served with salad or veg. Again I do try and keep to the lower carb veg and have substituted celeriac for potatos when I feel I want something like mash.

I eat a lot of veg curries but often choose to do without the rice so I can have the spinach and paneer cheese curry which again is a favourite - all served with loads of lovely creamy yoghurt. I also have a great egg curry recipe too. I do occasionally have tofu with a stir fry - but I would prefer to try and eat a small amount of processed food - there is a great Ottolenghi black pepper tofu dish which if you like hot and spicy food you'd love
    See my Visitor Messages for more about me & My Album for photos

Hi there,

This is a real quickie as had sons birthday party this afternoon, and my brain is now very fuddled!!! But....I'm veggie, have been doing THD on and off since September last year and think it would be a great idea to set up a veggie group on here. Should we just start a thread or can we have our own 'section?'

Will post again tomorrow when less 'fuddled!'

Liz
    x

Circuitron - our stories are amazingly similar. I did Atkins a few years ago and lost a stone and a half, I found out then that low carb eating made me feel soooooo much better and healthier. The I met my Lovely Hubby and things went to pot, love does that to a girl , then September 2010 I did the Dukan Diet, it just seemed healthier than Atkins and suited me just as much, I lost all the weight I wanted too, but struggled with eating the amount of chicken and fish I was eating (I was not a vegetarian then), I jumped ship with Mr Dukans blessing and good wishes (I was in the Dukan Club and asked their advice) and was suddenly on my own. After a yucky 18 months (we both lost a parent) and an increase in junk food consumed, almost all the weight came back on, it was when I was nearing my original weight that I thought 'hang on a minute you have to look after yourself here no matter what has happened' and I took stock.

Quite by chance I found Zoe's book in the Oxfam shop days later and read it cover to cover in two days and realised that THIS was the diet for me, adjustable enough to maintain my veggie principles and low carb enough, the healthy way to keep me on track. So here I am 7 weeks into the diet and feeling good, if a little guilty for all my cheats, this is still a tough time for us is my only excuse, Mum in Laws house has just sold and it was the house my LH grew up in, we are working our through all my Dad's things and there are memories everywhere, but now I'm in a healthier place thanks to the Harcombe way of eating and the support of these fantastic guys on here.

If we could have a vegetarian group on here I would love it, not that I mind at all sharing with all you carnivores and omnivores at all But I have no idea how we set it up, I'm a newbie on here really too.

Can anyone show us the way forward? I guess we could just start a thread!!
    Last edited by sue15cat; 9th July 2012 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Additional info.

Supermember 2010-14 hattie the cattie's Avatar

I would just start a new thread - if you want links & quotes to work properly don't put it in the open forum though !
    See my Visitor Messages for more about me & My Album for photos

[QUOTE=hattie the cattie;186918]There have been a few vegetarians who have successfully lost weight eating this way. Please try to avoid soya it's not very nice stuff!
    [/QUOTE]

What exactly do you mean by "not very nice"? (I know people have varying reasons for avoiding it, so it's a genuine question!)

I've been veggie for over 30 years, and been yoyo dieting for longer than that... For the past 6 weeks or so, for the first time in my life, I've had no cravings, and never been severely hungry, while loosing weight. Fortunately, I love cheese, and have no problem with other dairy or eggs... Never thought I could eat cheese by the packet and not put on pounds, if only I leave out the bread! And full fat yoghurt is so much nicer than the fat free stuff.

This article touches on some of the effects of soya not only in the body but to nature. It contains the estrogen of 5 contraceptive pills, damages the thyroid, causes breast cancer in men, to name but a few side effects. Rainforests and farmland are being destroyed in order to grow soya crops, wiping out species of wild animals & local farm animals. The milk of the bean is in fact a waste product with no nutritional value whatsoever. Here's the link:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2004/nov/07/foodanddrink.features7
    "Whatever we are, whatever we make of ourselves, is all we will ever have - and that, in its profound simplicity, is the meaning of life." Philip Appleman

have a read of this re: Soy..

Scary stuff

http://www.westonaprice.org/soy-alert/
    The worst bigots in the world are those who most loudly proclaim their ‘tolerance’