Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Under active thyroid.

Default Under active thyroid.

I have been really struggling to lose any weight (5lbs since 11 June) have contacted Zoe who suggested it could be partly because of my thyroid. I do take meds for it but have always thought that this would help it function normally, Zoe says not necessarily. She has made a few suggestions but I wondered how anyone else with this condition has coped with THD.

I would put it in the search bar as there have been a few on here who have written about it in the past. Normally, very indepth.
    "Whatever we are, whatever we make of ourselves, is all we will ever have - and that, in its profound simplicity, is the meaning of life." Philip Appleman

[QUOTE=Vivsol;205280]I have been really struggling to lose any weight (5lbs since 11 June) have contacted Zoe who suggested it could be partly because of my thyroid. I do take meds for it but have always thought that this would help it function normally, Zoe says not necessarily. She has made a few suggestions but I wondered how anyone else with this condition has coped with THD.[/QUOTE]

I have an under-active thyroid and take Thyroxine, and have only lost 12 lbs. in 6 months and I haven't cheated. I am eating all fat meals, no mixing, no dairy, and haven't begun introducing any new foods, but I still haven't lost any more weight. I'd like to lose another stone.

Thanks Lizzi, I'll have a look.

Its very disheartening isnt it. Thats about the same as me then as 5-6 lbs in three months. Are you still doing phase 1.? I tried going back to it for 10 days recently, also no dairy and didnt lose an ounce. I was all for going back to WW but then some members talked me out of it, glad really as I still believe in the diet. They suggested I have a word with Zoe which I did. She has suggested I cut out the extra fat, i.e. butter, crackling, fat on meat etc which surprised me as I thought she would have said eat more fat. Oh well, soldier on!

[QUOTE=Vivsol;205640]Its very disheartening isnt it. Thats about the same as me then as 5-6 lbs in three months. Are you still doing phase 1.? I tried going back to it for 10 days recently, also no dairy and didnt lose an ounce. I was all for going back to WW but then some members talked me out of it, glad really as I still believe in the diet. They suggested I have a word with Zoe which I did. She has suggested I cut out the extra fat, i.e. butter, crackling, fat on meat etc which surprised me as I thought she would have said eat more fat. Oh well, soldier on![/QUOTE]

Yes, it IS disheartening, and over the last fortnight I've decided that I will forget about weight loss for the time being and just concentrate on the fact that I'm feeling well on this eating plan. I've more or less got rid of my Hypoglycaemia which was making my life miserable, so I'm relieved about that. I suppose you'd say I am still doing Ph. 1 but without the rice. I'm eating all-fat meals, no mixing, no dairy. I am really surprised that it might be best to cut out the extra fat. I am already a bit concerned that I am eating too much protein/meat but with much less fat I'm worried I'll revert to having blood sugar probs. In fact I don't like the fat on meat so I don't eat it, but I AM using loads of dripping for cooking, and also coconut oil.

I commenced THD more than 3years ago and in total I only lost 7lb...I tried everything to lose weight but to no avail. I had suspected my thyroid but my bloods showed everything was working normal?? Anyway, April this year a large lump appeared on my neck. After numerous scans, biopsies the final decision was to remove half of my thyroid......I am now hypothyroid and taking thyroxine. I have gained 20lbs since January which I am so upset about but now I can definitely blame my thyroid!!! I have researched a lot about how to eat if you have hypothyroidism ....we have to teach our body how to burn its own fat and the best way which works for MY body is intermittent fasting which has been discussed a lot lately on here.Of course I do not suggest this if you are new to THD and have any or all of the 3medical conditions but if you have been on this way of eating for a while and need to try something different to help lose fat then maybe try this....I am seeing a loss finally on the scales without feeling deprived. I fast for 19hrs and eat sensibly in a 5 hr eating window til satiety, I enjoy eating this way but may be difficult for others.
    I WILL get to my goal weight !!!

I have an under active thyroid and also take thyroxine, I did well last year and managed to lose 56lbs although many restarts this year have been slow to show the fab results I had first time around. I do think my body is hyper sensitive and all the messing about eating well for a few weeks then falling off the wagon means I don't see instant results. I don't know if your thyroid is affecting things, I do know it didn't for me but I had over 150lbs to lose so that may be why I did so well to begin with.

there is lots about thyroid hormone resistance on the Internet, your GP won't be much help but a bit of self study may work, my other thought is those of us which under active thyroids really shouldn't obsess with the scales it's counterproductive and they don't seem to budge as we expect x
    Last edited by cazbah; 15th September 2012 at 12:25 PM.

My sister has to take thyroxine. She stopped taking it when she felt so well on the harcombe diet and was losing weight really well but when she went for blood test dr warned her that it was dangerous to stop. She is now taking it again and after more blood tests dr has increased dosage 3 times, needless to say despite sticking to THD really well she is not losing a pound and feels worse health wise than she did when she stopped it. She is considering experimenting with a month off thyroxine again. Is this dangerous? Has anyone else stopped the thyroxine since starting THD?

I take Thyroxine 125mcg daily. Been doing THD since late April and lost around 1.5 stone. Don't think I will stop taking meds as I believe needed for rest of life.