Page 1 of 88 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Phase one started again, 20st plus so let's see.

Default Phase one started again, 20st plus so let's see.

Just suffered a flight back from Kefalonia, knees hard against the seat in front, seat belt now out of adjustment and seat back tray couldn't be lowered as my belly just wouldn't allow it, glanced at my wife, she had a good four or five inches between her tummy and the tray, the bloke behind and opposite saw me struggling and clearly was amused, so, serious phase one now. Hardest thing will be no wine or cider, so bought some grapetiser, and fruit juice, not ideal but almost every night when my wife gets in from work we sit at the table or in the garden and sip wine whilst going over our days work and other general chit chatty things, I have decided I will try not to drink in June, managed all of January but June will be harder.
    Weigh day is Mondays and this week it is 20 stone 2.75 lbs. breakfasts are always easy, bacon and scrambled eggs, lunch I try to have a salad but happy to miss out only because I don't feel hungry every day at midday. Evening meals are more problematic, happy to miss out carbs but find I get into the habit of making a veg/tomato mush on a regular basis, be it ratatouille or a Mediterranean mixture, so if anyone has good ideas for vegetable accompaniments I'd appreciate advice. I will post the new weight next Monday. I may even post each days meal choices but not sure.
    Thanks to all, just need to say something and be a bit more involved x

Hi Steve

Sorry that was such an uncomfortable flight. Bad enough to get back from holiday to day to day life, so can very much understand how hard it will then be to think about giving up an evening relaxing over a glass of wine etc. It's what I loved to do as well, and I had no idea how I would get on having nothing but water. Well am 5 weeks in now, and it's got much easier - although like you, if I'm out in the garden, enjoying a bit of evening sunshine (rare in our neck of the woods right now) the siren call of alcohol does raise it's head from time to time..

I make sure that I put my water in a really nice glass (your favourite wine glass perhaps?). I add some ice cubes, and if I'm feeling decadent, I stick a sprig of garden mint on the top or a slice of lemon (don't use the lemon too often though as the acid isn't great for your teeth!)

My OH has just finished his first week on THD. He had a naughty glass of wine at the weekend, and two cans of dry cider during the week, and he still anaged to lose 7lbs, so I guess as long as you dont cheat too often you could still have the occasional drink.

For vegetables, I stick to green veggies most of the time. I eat green beans, mange tout, cauliflower, asparagus, cabbage (lovely steamed then mixed in with some fried bacon lardons) and leeks. I've made some bubble and squeak cakes using mashed swede and leftover veggies chopped up as an occasional treat, and just lightly fried them in dripping until golden on either side. Not keen on courgette, but you could dip them in beaten egg and fry them off too as a change from the ratatoullie route. I havent made it myself yet, but there's a really interesting recipe on here for cauliflower rice, which involves grating the cauliflower first, and that seems really popular as an alternative to rice. I also use beansprouts as a rice substitute.

Wishing you the very best with your phase 1. When you're drinking your glass of clear refreshing water, try telling yourself "it's just for today......" (then of course you do the same thing the next day!) You'll soon be feeling a whole lot better and seeing the results which will help to keep you on track.

Hi Steve.

Remember that drinking wine every evening is only a habit & habits can be broken. As Justbecoz says switch to fizzy water with ice & lemon in a nice glass. It takes just 21 days to break a habit - you can do it!

BTW are you vegetarian? Remember Zoe was when she first started planning THD & now she's a confirmed carnivore!

Ruthie

Ghent, Belgium (born USA - UK nationalilty through marriage)

Come on Steve. You can do it. Try to switch to water. You know the fruit juices won't be doing you any favours. The sugar (fructose) will only compound the problem. One day at a time....

Hi Steve great to hear your story I can identify with that...... seat belt extenders!! You must get your head into the mode of "I want to loose this weight what ever it takes"..... there is no halfway house here! I agree the social aspect of wine is difficult these days BUT it will only weaken your resolve and it will stir up the cravings. Fruit juice is even worse.... it has the dreaded sugars which are demon cravings to loose... Ruthie is right about it just being a habit..... break it until you have lost the weight! Believe me when you drop below 18 stones (which will happen quickly) you will feel so much better. Check out Howie's meal choices on his blog for some great ideas remember you do not need to eat much veg.... fibre and veggies are a myth, check Zoes posts in the members area. A nice piece of meat or fish and some green beans will do! You will need to cook though which means making time to cook and eat.... Salmon pieces micro wave in minutes for a quick meal. Learn to make our cream and cheese sauce to make it special! As soon as people see you are loosing they will be on your case which is good mostly so you can either feel encouraged by their interest or doggedly determined if they are negative! The other tip is to find a good butcher and tell him you what you want.... my wife even gets a good deal from the TESCO butcher by letting him know she knows what is good! Our butcher fills sausages with 98% meat plus some nice herbs for us no extra charge! Eating out.... there is plenty of advice on here.... again it is easy when you understand the "no mixing" rules. Finally DONT SKIP LUNCH..... it stores up hunger which will get you eventually.... follow EXACTLY the Phase 2 menus in the latest book...... I dare you...... good luck JBG

You couldn't have started this thread at a better time Steve!

I too struggle with giving up the alcohol and I too like to unwind with a glass of wine and this is an on-going battle for me. I can stay off alcohol completely and when I do I feel so much better for it. I am more in control, better sleep, better mood, better focus. In fact everything is far better without alcohol than it is with it so why I find it so hard to give up I do not know. I think I am going to have to find something to distract me when the alcohol craving rears its ugly head, but it's going to have to be good whatever it is!

As Zoe says: Don't let one bad day or even hour or mouthful stop you from reaching your goal.
    As Ruthie says it's a habit, it certainly is with me and habits can be broken.

Justbecoz, I love your vegetable ideas will be trying some of those, thankyou.

Have a good day all xx

Johnnie B Good, thankyou for your thoughts I will be looking at the blogs, speaking to my local butcher and buying Zoe's new book!

Aquarius
    Visitor

HI Steve. I am teetotal and we do the sitting in the garden thing - it's the chat and being together that is important, not the glass of liquid.

I will have a glass of sparkling water or a mug of tea depending on how I feel.

Good luck - I'll post some links to veggie sides in a minute but there are some great ideas on Ready Steady Cook page here.

EDIT - I have started a thread in Ready Steady Cook with links to a load of veggie sides I have saved since being on Harcombe. Hope they help Steve.
    Last edited by Aquarius; 29th May 2013 at 08:52 AM.

I'm with you Sharyn, whats wrong with a nice brew for chilling in the garden? Good luck Steve though - I'm sure you can do it and when you're tempted, think of that plane ride!

Hi Steve.. great post! take each day at a time you will be amazed at how quickly you start to feel so much better.

Re evening meal veg ideas what about aubergine baked with a little sunflower/olive oil and your favourite herbs and spices aubergine is such a dense veg it actually feels like you are eating something of substance and once your on phase 2 you can grate some cheese over the top !

Courgettes cut into strips with a vegetable peeler and fried in butter and garlick and some seasoning

Roasted carrots in a little olive oil sprinkled with cumin seeds and black pepper

Spinach fried with garlick and butter with a little nutmeg

stir fried veg like pak choi grated carrot beanshoots pepper and red onion is another great option.

Not sure if you have the recipe book but its well worth getting for ideas.

I look forward to reading your posts