Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Blitz - Day 7

I am doing well on this Blitz. But it's been a most peculiar week eating wise. Am on Day three of phase 1.

My weight has been like this. Did not weigh until Tuesday. Then I was 11.3 1/2. Wed and Thurs were not good days. Friday I was 11. 5 1/2. Started Phase 1 Friday. Felt fab. Sat I weighed 11.2 1/2. Still stuck to Phase 1 This morning I weighed 11. 3 1/2!!!

What a lark!! Shows how weight should not be an indicator of how you should feel!

You're all right about the weather here, is it glorious.
    We didn't anticipate it being quite so hot whe we wrote the emails (well spotted Aquarius) but the heat shouldn't stop us from having a long and lazy Sunday lunch - just make it a barbq or have that roast cold with salad or grilled veg. It's the principle of stopping for a long lunch that's important, not necessarily that its a hot roast.

for those of you holding water, remember that this is a normal reaction to the hot weather. Do what you can to get cold a few times a day - take a cool-cold shower, run cold water over your wrists and soak your feet in a cold bath before going to bed and drink plenty of water. If you keep yourself well hydrated, your body is less likely to hold onto what it has in reserves.
    The truth is deafening, no matter how quietly spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by princesspentium View Post
    Good day yesterday but feeling very down, tearful and blue at the moment.

Trying on my summer clothes this morning & NOTHING fits. If I can get into anything it's tight, looks awful & makes me feel the same!
    I don't know what I'm going to wear for work this week. Have been living in sweat pants or kaftans at home for the last 3 weeks.

Will just have to go out this afternoon and try to find some cheap summer clothes in a larger size

Have been on/off a diet for the last 40 years and I'm heavier now than when I started THD in March 2011! Just seems like a vicious circle losing & gaining & losing again.

Sorry for the self pity - just needed to get it off my chest.

Coupled with all that we had planned a long walk this morning, by the canal - at least 5k,. We were going to go early about 8ish before it got too hot, but my BIL rang and wanted my OH to go to his mum & dad's to help move their double bed down to the dining room. MY FIL is 94 and very frail he can no longer manage the stairs. They have had some advice about a stair life but their stairs are too narrow and TBH I don't think FIL would be able to manage a stair lift either.

Coupled with OH disappearing to his mum's at 9am and the walk being cancelled, my brother & his partner are dropping in at 11am to see us. They live in Gloucestershire and we haven't seen them for a year or more. (They came up to see The Stones in Hyde Park last night)
    Now they won't be able to see my OH which is a shame.

Just one of those day I guess & I know I'm fretting about going back to work tomorrow - I've been off for 3 weeks and although its only 2 weeks till I finish (& retire) I'll still be expected to teach and I have to catch up with all the my students progress before I can plan anything so will have to get in at 7:30am tomorrow!

BIG SIGH!

Have a good day everyone.

Ruthie
    Hang on in there Ruthie - sending lots of ((((hugs)))) and good~~~~~~~~~vibes - you WILL get through it - so little time till you retire! focus on that xx

Quote Originally Posted by Nanj51 View Post
    Hi Ruthie Sorry to read that you're feeling so blue at the moment. Going back to work after an operation is hard and knowing that you have such a lot to catch up with must be daunting. There is a light at the end of the tunnel though when you get to leave work behind - yeah! Hope you manage a walk later when OH gets back. Have a nice day. X
    +1 to that

Quote Originally Posted by Harmonious View Post
    Ruthie, How much heavier are you than 2011? I seem to remember you going through this twelve months ago. You got over it then. So you know you will be OK! Lots of love Please don't despair!

I wonder too whether you are into a mental pattern here that you need to break out of. 40 years of thinking the same old things. I can hear what you are saying echoing down from those years!
    +1 to that too

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    You're all right about the weather here, is it glorious.
    We didn't anticipate it being quite so hot whe we wrote the emails (well spotted Aquarius) but the heat shouldn't stop us from having a long and lazy Sunday lunch - just make it a barbq or have that roast cold with salad or grilled veg. It's the principle of stopping for a long lunch that's important, not necessarily that its a hot roast.

for those of you holding water, remember that this is a normal reaction to the hot weather. Do what you can to get cold a few times a day - take a cool-cold shower, run cold water over your wrists and soak your feet in a cold bath before going to bed and drink plenty of water. If you keep yourself well hydrated, your body is less likely to hold onto what it has in reserves.
    thanks Andy, sounds good to me!

Good luck to all those who are struggling, and well done to those who aren't
    DON'T CHEAT!! You'll only wish you hadn't...

Ruthie, I am so sorry to hear about your dashed plans, the unexpected family emergency and visit, the stress of not having anything to wear before work tomorrow and then having to get there extra early to be able to catch up after being on leave post surgery. You have every right to moan! As others have said, things will be SO much calmer once you've retired so keep that light at the end of the tunnel in your mind's eye. Even though I've never met you, I feel as if I know you after reading so many of your posts over the years.

Harmonious, so true about weight loss vs. how one feels! I haven't lost anything in 6 Days of clean eating during this Blitz but I feel fantastic! Much clearer mentally, more energy physically. I have not been doing the walking and I think this may be why my weight hasn't changed. And it's really hot and humid too. I'm sure my body is doing stuff it needs to do, and when it's ready to let go of more weight it will.
    It is said that truth passes through 3 stages: First, it is ridiculed. Then, it is violently opposed. Finally, itís accepted as being self-evident.

Glad the weather has got better in the UK (and Belgium) - I'm really really pleased for you all as I know from family members how depressing the constant grey skies can be.

I can't in all honesty give myself a very high mark for yesterday's eating, although I have redeemed myself slightly by the exercise I did. Our lovely new Italian neighbours treated us to brunch at a very up-market bodega (vineyard) and the food was fantastic. I managed to avoid the home made bread but did mix - a glorious fresh fruit salad followed by scrambled eggs. The huge brunch was finished off with a glass of the bodega's own wine and yes, I did drink it.

However, the rest of the day, eating wise was good. We went to an open air concert in the evening and had plenty of exercise walking to and from the car and dancing on the beach.

Looking back at this post, it sounds like I lead a life of non-stop decadence!!! I have to say, this weekend has been unusual as I work 40+ hours a week normally, but it has done me the world of good - I feel so much more relaxed today than I have in a very long time and I'm ready to face the challenge of the next week on the blitz. Good luck to everyone - onwards and downwards

Forum Guest

Had a off day yesterday but that was my first "cheat". I went out to dinner and ate a burger no bun, salad with ranch drsg and a few fried calamari....no more out to dinners hopefully for awhile. I know I had sodium bloat. Up at 5am today, worked on and off all day and now home to do some computer work. I did go to the grocery store and got tons of good stuff. I even got some chickpeas and found a pesto that is all natural with no sugar to make a chickpea salad. YUM! Got snow crab for dinner tonite...and i need to figure out how to make salmon patties THD way..any ideas? Glad everyone is doing well!! Have a great rest of your Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by princesspentium View Post
    Good day yesterday but feeling very down, tearful and blue at the moment.

Ruthie
    Aw, Ruthie, be kind to yourself. I know from recent experience the effect of surgery on your body AND mind. I was very tearful afterwards and being unexplainably heavier after didn't help either! Your body is still healing so will be reluctant to give up any weight just yet. hang in there- it WILL happen.
    Bea

Good day except the only exercise was watching Andy Murray win the men's final at Wimbledon.

Food-wise:
    B - porridge & NLY
    L- ham & egg salad with mayo
    D - salmon fillet and salad followed by strawberries & Greek yoghurt

Ruthie - I hope tomorrow goes well. I'm sure all of your students will be delighted to see you back. Take it steady, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Babs View Post
    Good day except the only exercise was watching Andy Murray win the men's final at Wimbledon.
    Well that should have had your heart thumping at times. I stormed in and out of the room, punched a cushion a few times and did lots of frantic pacing. I think that qualifies for a work out!
    "Whatever we are, whatever we make of ourselves, is all we will ever have - and that, in its profound simplicity, is the meaning of life." Philip Appleman

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzi S View Post
    Well that should have had your heart thumping at times. I stormed in and out of the room, punched a cushion a few times and did lots of frantic pacing. I think that qualifies for a work out!
    It certainly did. Cracking match so it was well worth it.