Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Blitz - Day 13

Yesterday I again scored myself an 8. I took a couple of points off for snacking before dinner, eating nuts & raisins for lunch, mixing at breakfast, and having caffeine midday. The jogging and not succumbing to alcohol (see below) added points back to settle on 8 out of 10!

Activity:
    Got in two 30 min walks, one of which was mostly jogging - my body wanted more than just walking!

Food:
    Breakfast (at 10am) was oatmeal with coconut oil (mixing) and sea salt, 1 banana, decaf espresso with hot water

Lunch (at 1pm) was 80g mixed nuts (almonds, cashews, pistachios, walnuts, hazelnuts, Brazil nuts) and 20g organic raisins. YUMMY!

Afternoon beverage was caffeinated coffee with 1 measured tsp Half & Half and 1 tsp cocoa shavings - iced. Yum!

Snack (at 8pm) was due to a last minute invitation for drinks next door (my OH's son's house) right before we were about to leave for dinner so dinner was delayed an hour. I brought my own sparkling mineral water to drink while everyone else partook of an over-sized bottle of Chardonnay, and I ate some cheddar cheese (avoiding the array of crackers on the same platter) to hold me until dinner.

Dinner was late (9:30pm). I had salad, olive oil, 8 baby lamb rib chops (as a rack), grilled tomato. I couldn't eat the green beans or spinach that I ordered in place of the mashed potato as they were awful (tasteless and charred, respectively). I had them leave off the portabella demi-glaze as it contained some sort of thickener, probably flour so I ate the lamb plain. I gave the generous bowl of mint jelly to OH who spread it over his salmon and then he just ate the rest of it with a spoon! He doesn't have a weight problem but I think he eats too much sugar/carbs.

This morning I was down another pound to 132.0lbs. (60 kilos, 9st 6) which surprised me as I haven't had a bowel movement in days.

I will scout out the trees for today's activity. I am looking forward to hanging! I miss not doing that - I used to have a pull-up bar in the apartment I lived in, but this old Victorian house has nowhere to put it. I used to hang upside down using Gravity Boots which was amazing!
    It is said that truth passes through 3 stages: First, it is ridiculed. Then, it is violently opposed. Finally, itís accepted as being self-evident.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzi S View Post
    I thought you were off all dairy?
    Had only dropped cream. Did not think about cheese as I had not been using it. Not happy to keep cutting out foods and still not lose any weight.

I thought you were just cutting out dairy? It is the most common intolerance & its only for a few days. If you cut out lots of things at the same time you won't know which one is the problem.
    "Whatever we are, whatever we make of ourselves, is all we will ever have - and that, in its profound simplicity, is the meaning of life." Philip Appleman

How quickly the Blitz is going looking back - nearly halfway through! (Although I must admit the occasional day feels like an eternity!) Still haven't weighed but feel a bit trimmer around the middle - hope it's not my imagination

No tree swinging for me today either - no trees. But I had a good walk this morning and then aqua aerobics and a short swim this afternoon - perfect for a hot day.

I miss the swimming, too...

Anyway, at least I went for a walk this morning, although my lower left leg is turning into a nice blue, and still giving the odd twitch! Had a good day out in Brechin at the Harley Davidson event, and wasn't at all tempted by anything foodwise they had on offer - hog roast, more hog roast, and another one - and a few burgers and hot dogs for light relief... Plus strawberries and sweetened cream (which I've never liked).

Not a bad day but not perfect. Started with my usual porridge with NLY but, as we didn't have time to shop yesterday, I ran out of low fat and had to have Greek. Lunch was fine - salad, hard boiled egg and 2 slices of Wiltshire ham. Popped into the village garden party, this afternoon, avoided the cakes and had a bowl of strawberries & cream instead. Tonight I cooked a whole trout and had that with salad. However, I prepared it as I always do by brushing with milk and dusting with flour and fried some flaked almonds to go with it. It was delicious but not entirely THD friendly. I'll make up for it by sticking to black coffee this evening.

10/10 for me today , thank goodness after yesterday's eating marathon .
    I skipped breakfast had lunch about 1pm roule on romaine , tomatoes and cherries , then didn't eat again till 8pm as I was out , had tinned salmon , coleslaw and cucumber followed by strawberries and clotted cream . Maybe it was the heat or maybe it was because I was busy , but I had no hunger pangs at all

I'm back on this thread to report on my Tree Climbing expedition...

I walked around our generous yard and settled on a tree with a reachable lower branch, of weight-bearing strength with a "how about that!" stepping rock right next to it:

The branch was too high for me to easily reach, so I did need the rock to get my hands around it. Then I was stumped! (unintentional pun, sorry) To get into the tree I needed upper body strength but hoist as I may, my feet remained firmly planted on the rock. I then thought to place one foot on the trunk and pull myself up while walking up the trunk. Nothing happened at first (in my head I imagined it happening but my body wasn't cooperating) but after a few more trials I finally managed to hoist-and-walk enough to swing my other leg up and brace it under a nearby parallel branch so as to act as a lever to lift myself. I was hanging horizontally to the ground during this maneuver. I got myself up and sat back against the tree trunk, nervous and uncertain about how to proceed, and worried about how to get back down! This lower limb was actually quite flat and wide near the trunk and it made a lovely, private chair! After surveying the street below, I decided to stand up and look for another limb to move towards. I chose the one I had used for leverage, and stepped onto it with one foot. I had nowhere to grab onto so I felt unsafe and decided I'd done enough. I got back into my seat, and thought about how to get down. It didn't look the same from this vantage point! That rock wasn't nearly close enough. I would have to try to turn around on my "chair" and reach up to the branch I pulled myself up on and hope that when I slid off the "chair" I would be able to hold my body weight long enough to find and touch down on the rock. Full of worry, I went for it and happily it worked. I came inside to get my camera so I could take a photo of the tree (shown above) and I was struck by how different I felt. It was as if the tree imparted some of its life energy to me. I felt bathed in a lovely sense of Nature, and mildly intoxicated. I wanted to go back for more! So up I went, and this time it was so much easier. I was up in my chair in no time and I snapped this photo (I was facing the trunk instead of leaning up against it so that I could show the ground beneath me):

I liked sitting in this tree so much that I relaxed and put my feet up and just stayed there for a while:

I dropped my camera at one point (it fell softly onto a mulch pile) so I had to climb down to get it and then I climbed back up and by this time I really did begin to feel like a little monkey! I will definitely be revisiting my new secret chair in the future. What an eye-opener! I've lived in this house for 8 years and it never occurred to me to climb one of the trees. Thank you, Zoe and Ollie for this great challenge.

P.S: I don't know why the middle picture is so big. I copied the URL from photobucket the same way I did for the other two photos. Mat?
    Last edited by Peapod; 14th July 2013 at 01:58 PM.
    It is said that truth passes through 3 stages: First, it is ridiculed. Then, it is violently opposed. Finally, itís accepted as being self-evident.

Brilliant! I remember doing these things when I was around 10... Sigh. The only trees in my garden are tiny ones in containers - and even if I had a big one, I'd be far too shy to do anything like that now in full view of all the neighbours!

Great stuff Peggy!
    "Whatever we are, whatever we make of ourselves, is all we will ever have - and that, in its profound simplicity, is the meaning of life." Philip Appleman