Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: constipation and fruit... not as bad as it sounds, honestly

Default constipation and fruit... not as bad as it sounds, honestly

About 2 weeks ago, after my first round with Phase 1, I didn't ease in to Phase 2 slowly enough and gained 2.5 pounds. So I decided to go back to Phase 1. It took a few days to get back into it, due to my apparent inability to control myself around fruit and sugars.

But last week I was so constipated!! I searched and found that people take Vitamin C, so I went out and bought some. 2 days later.... nothing. So then on Sunday I went to the farmers market and people were sampling their fruits. I was planning on starting Phase 2 again that day, so I figured why not try some, right? Trying led to buying and I came home with 4 cactus fruit (prickly pears, I don't know what other name they go by), blueberries, grapes, and strawberries. I had some last night and on Sunday, and guess what! No more constipation!!

So here's my question: Since I haven't started Phase 2 (since I was worried I ate too much fruit on Sunday I went back to P1 on Monday), could I do a P1 with a few fruit thrown in? Or should I just go into P2 and have, say, a fruit platter with low fat NLY or cottage cheese for breakfast or dinner some days instead of a full on meal? My only problem is that sometimes fruit bloats me.

But it seems to have been something to help my constipation. (yeah, I know, you don't really need to hear this...)

I drink 8-10 cups of water daily, and 3 cups herbal teas. I walk 3-5 days a week, and I'm thinking of adding a kettle bell workout just to tone up some, and go back to my Zumba classes, because they were just fun and I love the music.

So there it is. I guess what I'm asking is does anyone have another way around the constipation besides fruit? Or can I do fruit every few days or so?

And also, I'm scared of going into P2 full on.

Are you getting enough fat? I very rarely get it now since making sure of high enough fat intake. It sort of oils your insides!

I think I am. I have 2 eggs each morning, and either chicken or fish for dinner with vegetables (curried veggies, salad). For 2 days last week I had beef. How do I get more fat? Any help would be great!

Your body will learn to work without the 'roughage' - i actually don't go to the toilet more often than every other day, and i eat plenty of fat. I tend to choose fattier cuts of meat (lamb shoulder, pork belly, chicken wings) and cook with butter and olive oil - i don't tend to add lots of extra fat on top of that. I love crispy chicken skin and crackling!

What strength vit c did you take? Also a strong full caff espresso can do the trick sometimes. If you start eating fruit regularly again, it won't be p1 - and I suspect it may cause you problems as you say it gives you bloating.

Try to persevere, your body will adjust, honest!
    Embraced THD - got a way to go yet, but loving it!

Kerry
    Visitor

I have always suffered from constipation, I sometimes 'go' more than others on thd I cant eat too many eggs however I have the oats with water in the morning and drink it with a cup of hot water with a squeeze of lemon/lime and some shavings of ginger, (I actually drink a few of these before I leave the house), I drink herbal teas echineacea and raspberry or cranberry and raspberry but always drink my water either hot/warm or room temperature never too cold as it causes me cramps. Also try the ratatoiuille (tinned toms/stock/loads of veggies/spices) just bubble up and have on own or with chicken/meat (I cant eat too much meat ie. pork as get stomach ache) but its lovely with fish too.

I'd also recommend more fat in P1. Bacon and 100% meat sausage. Personally, I love 2 pieces of salmon fillets for breakfast. For lunch away from home try sardines or mackerels. For lunch at home how about roast duck or lamb steaks?
    Vitamin C does also work for me if I ever throw my body into chaos (usually restaurant meals...) but then I take 3gr (3X1000mg).
    Let us know how it goes
    "The great enemy of the truth isn't the lie - deliberate, contrived and dishonest - but the myth - persistent, persuasive and unrealistic. Belief in myths allows the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought" - John F Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by kettyo View Post
    I think I am. I have 2 eggs each morning, and either chicken or fish for dinner with vegetables (curried veggies, salad). For 2 days last week I had beef. How do I get more fat? Any help would be great!
    Hi Kettyo - I have always used eggs for my daughter and my dogs whenever they got 'the trots'. You might want to try a few egg free days?

+1 for egg free days
    "The great enemy of the truth isn't the lie - deliberate, contrived and dishonest - but the myth - persistent, persuasive and unrealistic. Belief in myths allows the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought" - John F Kennedy

oooohhh.... never thought of that..... I will have to do that, thanks!

mghnew2you
    Visitor

Quote Originally Posted by kettyo View Post
    oooohhh.... never thought of that..... I will have to do that, thanks!
    This has been my biggest issue with THD! Only going every 4-5 days and so bunged up it hurts, lol! And yes, I drink loads and get plenty of fat. So I will be very interested to hear what works for you!