Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: January Blitz - Day 5

Ghent, Belgium (born USA - UK nationalilty through marriage)

Default January Blitz - Day 5

Sunday and the last day at home before going back to the usual routine with no more holidays in sight for a while. Till Easter for most people but lucky me gets a break in mid February when I go to Florida to spend a week with Peapod! (My sister in case some of the newer ones didn't know). I have to keep remembering this fact to keep me on track.

Yesterday was again another good day for me. I managed to drink 2 litres of water which is always my challenge. I made some pea soup for the first time ever and it was delicious. Even OH approved.

Breakfast was NLY
    Lunch - small bowl of pea soup, pan fried cod with salad and roasted veg
    Dinner - bolognaise sauce with some more roasted veg.

Nothing special in my life to report. I feel for all of you with non THD problems you have to deal with, be it caring for family members, dealing with atrocious weather conditions, having hard times with your better half, kids driving you nuts.

Have a good Sunday and hope to see you all on the open forum later in the day!

Runtara
    Visitor

Your food choices sound yum! [Note to self: make more effort with lunches!]

I managed to drink > 2l of water yesterday mostly due to the fact that we'd been invited out for NY drinks and nibbles. I've committed to a dry January (well, at least until Burn's night on 25th) and so took a 2l bottle of sparkling water. Also managed to eat only THD foods and then came home for a small portion of lamb stew that I'd put in the slow cooker before going out.

Still feeling rough with my sore throat, and really hope it clears up soon - back to work tomorrow!

Have a good Sunday everyone!

Stinky Chicken
    Visitor

Good morning Everyone!

It sounds like everyone is doing fantastically and I'm feeling the strong new year willpower out there! I just wanted to report that this morning (day 4) I have woken up with a clear head and my usual cup of tea craving has disappeared, I'm actually enjoying my lemon zest herbal stuff!

Although I didn't want to, I did need to boost my motivation by having a sneaky peak on the scales (just to make sure it was working) and I have lost 5lbs! So excited and so pleased that all the headaches and lethargy felt over the last couple of days have been worth it!!

Have a good Sunday everyone!

Love Sam xxx

Morning everyone. I've been a bit awol (ending with a chinese meal for my dad's bday last night where mum & dad decided to order the food before we arrived so was stuck with all of the sugary chinese food you can think of!), but am back to strictness today with a vengence!

B - leftover bolognese sauce
    L - pork belly slices & salad with feta
    D - Roast chicken with roasted veg

Not been so good today- I had been really good at doing proper meals but it's hard when you only have yourself to cater for (student life!)

I had porridge for breakfast with water and half a big pot of NLY
    For Lunch I had 2 chicken thighs with green beans
    Then mid-afternoon I ate the other half of my big pot of NLY (400g total today now!) Is that too much? Maybe it is an intolerance?Although I'm not craving it, it's just the only low maintenance THD friendly food I had and I felt like I wanted something (although have to admit I wasn't that hungry.
    Now I've just had 2 big carrots as another afternoon snack. It feels almost back to my grazing ways today which is bad. It's because I'm revising for University exams (in my final year!) and so I'm home all day doing that- don't have much chance to keep 'busy' with other fun things. It's better than normal as normally during stressful times at uni it is when I turn to fake foods and sugar to get me through- and drink a lot of caffeine especially Diet Coke. So I'm pleased on the one hand, but just a bit frustrated that today now I have snacked two times when I haven't been that hungry and eaten a whole pot of NLY!

Anyway, I'm going to brush it off and just make sure I do have a proper evening meal. Normally once I start snacking I then feel I don't have 'room' for proper rounded meals- because I've wasted my hunger and enjoyment on pointless snacking but if I force myself to eat proper meals it will become a habit soon enough

Emma

Runtara
    Visitor

I don't think you've done that badly at all. Don't beat yourself up over the snacking - at least you made wise choices. We can't change habits immediately - just keep pegging away.

Good luck with your revision, and exams!

One of the most important lessons I have learnt on THD is to stop beating myself up when I discover that I'm not perfect. I have done a lot of beating myself up over the years, and has it benefitted me? NO. In fact, it's had the opposite affect and usually pushed me into 'sod it, pass the cake' behaviour. I think you're doing well Emma. You're going through a stressful period, but still managing to identify the better food choices and taking the more healthy food options. Keep challenging yourself to do better by all means, but I think you're doing good. Good luck with your exams. What are you studying and at which Uni? I work in the HE sector so I'm very nosy about other peoples studies x

5lbs off already Sam! That's excellent, you must be so encouraged! I have resisted the scales - actually it's not difficult for me to do so and for some reason I seem to do better when I don't weight.

Yesterday went well but I felt quite wobbly in the afternoon/early evening - for some reason I really fancied jelly and cream. I have no idea why as it isn't something I normally eat. Then I wanted chocolate and then a G&T. I didn't have any of them, I'm now glad to say, but I did transgress slightly and have a diet tonic with a slice of lemon. I don't think that's too bad considering how I was feeling.

Today is going well (so far!) and at last my headache has gone My usual breakfast of nothing was followed by a lunch of tuna, 3 hard boiled eggs, tomatoes, cucumber and mayonnaise. This evening we're going out to see some flamenco and that will be accompanied by tapas - of what form I've yet to find out! I'm feeling pretty strong at the moment so I think all should be OK - I'll let you know tomorrow!

Hope everyone has a good evening

Ghent, Belgium (born USA - UK nationalilty through marriage)

Emma, you did the right thing by snacking on THD friendly foods so no need to get upset. At least you didn't go off the rails. Good luck with your studies. I am also interested to know what you are studying. I have a son doing his PhD in Canterbury at the moment.

Sue, have fun at the flamenco tonight and good luck choosing good tapas like pulpo and boquerones sin pan!

Just having a revision break, which inevitably means ending up on the forum! and I'm so glad I've stopped my lurking ways. It makes me feel so happy to come back on and see that people have replied to me and encouraged me and also made me feel good and not like I'm on my own- and that actually yes- I am doing well.

I've been through a lot in the last few months, being in my final year and also working in part-time in a very busy restaurant. To add to it I found out before Christmas I have a (very) underactive thyroid and can't believe I've been doing all I have been doing! and yes- you are all right- I am wayyyy too hard on myself.. I do know this! But I think that's why the forum is so good because when you are able to air exactly how you are feeling (like a diary), this alone is therapeutic and helps you to make sense of all the whirling thoughts in your head, but then the best part is it is a diary that gives you constructive advice and makes you feel good (in the form of all of the people who have commented back to me!)

I have often thought it would really help me to keep a diary but I just can't stick to it, so maybe my new habit should be just posting on the forum through my THD experience. I will probably set up a thread for my progress but I want to be sure that I can commit to updating it regularly. I think writing on the blitz days every day will be a good start- i'm trying not to do everything at once and obviously I have a lot to focus on elsewhere.

And- I'm studying Biology at University of Bath- Lindam feel free to message me if you want any inside info on student life if it helps your HE work.

Another positive- I posted the other day about stopping using myfitnesspal to count calories and after the encouragement and advice of others I also stopped doing that and it has felt liberating and I think will gradually get me into the habit of eating more intuitively according to my hunger/satiation and not to what I should feel like based on how many calories I've consumed and have left. I still subconsciously try to add calories up but I think this is just so ingrained it will take a while to stop but at least the wheels are in motion.

Thanks again everyone

Em