Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: January Blitz - Day 6

Ghent, Belgium (born USA - UK nationalilty through marriage)

Default January Blitz - Day 6

Good morning all.

Having completed 5 days on phase 1 I have lost a grand total of 1.3 kg (most of which was after day 1). That is normal for me. My body doesn't like giving up its fat but I know if I continue as I should it will eventually let go of more.

Yesterday was a lazy day making soup in the morning and cooking up some lamb (to be used during the week). OH and I went out to a restaurant for lunch and I had a lovely steak and salad. No bread, no "frites" and no dessert. It was a very tender entrecôte which was delicious.

In the afternoon I tackled the weekly ironing while catching up on season 3 of "Revenge". Has anyone else ever seen that TV series?

On my way into work now. Everyone else will be back today so it will be a day of Happy New Years. Today is also 6 January. In Spain where I lived for many years, this is the day the children traditionally get their Christmas presents as it is the day the 3 Kings arrived bearing gifts for baby Jesus. They would celebrate with a special cake (they sell these cakes in Belgium too) which is a type of pastry with marzipan and inside is a little (plastic) bean. Whoever gets the bean in his/her piece can wear the crown (which surrounds the cake) for the day and be "King". Not sure what Health and Safety would say about the bean as I suppose it could be a choking hazard. But those of us who are older survived without all the health and safety rules which are in place these days.

Have a good Monday everyone.

I fall of the wagon yesterday with the sugar monster making me eat cake, chocolates and wine all because I had a little cake on Saturday. Well today is a new day and I mean to be very focused, doing P1.

Ho hum, I fell off the wagon today too...started with some toasted macadamias, followed by brazils and walnuts! Nothing too drastic I know but still...actually my little fall by the wayside was triggered by an overly sweet carrot I had with my lunch on Sunday - how crazy is that?? But I thought when I was eating it - my goodness, this is very sweet...and then the sugar monster woke up and pestered me for the rest of the day. Grrr. I keep saying to myself: "Zoe says, don't eat foods that trigger YOUR cravings"...doesn't matter if they are on the Phase 1 list, if they wake up MY sugar monster, there's no room for them on my plate.

Have a great day all, hope the weather isn't too ghastly.

Sue

Well done on the weight loss Priscilla; I haven't weighed yet and am not sure when I will - I want to "feel" that I've lost before I get on the scales!

Ah yes, 3 Kings Day We had the procession here yesterday and today is a bank holiday. We saw the 3 kings riding into our town on the camels after we'd had our tapas last night (assorted meat with salted vegetables - very nice!) and today I am wishing I could have a little of the special cake - Roscon we call it here. OH got the king twice in a row when we have partaken, but thankfully we neither of us had the bean!

And to those who have slipped slightly - well done for confessing, just get right back on the wagon as I have done. I also slipped yesterday evening, after having been so good all day, and had some 85% chocolate, not a lot but it is still a slip and I'm a tad cross with myself now.

For today - no breakfast (as usual), half a packet of streaky bacon and 3 fried eggs for lunch and dinner will be pork belly and roasted mixed vegetables - which smells delicious as it cooks in the slow cooker right now

No more slips today! We can do this - onwards and downwards

Well done on the weight loss Priscilla, you're off to a good start!

Remember if we do slip it's not the end of the world and one slip shouldn't turn into a ruined day or week. After the slip we just need to get straight back on it.

I am going well although my Phase 1 has become a a Phase 2 without me really noticing.......ooooopsie! This happened because I put milk in my tea and scrambled my eggs with butter.....doh!

Back to Phase 1 tomorrow

I'm going to try not to weigh myself until the end of the month. I think weighing is definitely a personal thing- but after only being 3 weeks in to finding out I have an underactive thyroid, I know weight loss might be slow for me while the thyroxine is building up/until I get to the right level. Infact from the sounds of things on forums I am on regarding thyroid issues, people say they don't lose weight until the medication is optimal, no matter what they do! So I have to look at THD as a way to improve my health now and not for weight loss, as it's possible that I could see no loss and that would easily discourage me. I think it will be good to get into the THD habit now, and then it will help to improve my wellbeing and once my medication kicks in I don't have another uphill battle to correct my eating! So i'm going to measure my progress in terms of how I feel- and I think the biggest thing this way of eating will help with is how I feel psychologically. Already, I have started to notice how much I turn to food when bored/stressed and I have started to consciously overcome those urges. I don't actually have a sugar or alcohol monster, which seems to be most peoples problems, but for me it's just using food to numb emotions- and actually, even if the food is 'healthy', one can still have a relationship with food that is 'unhealthy'. That is so true for me, so I'm hoping this progress will help me to see food as fuel and I think I've already started to recognise this, and my bad habits have definitely gone down. However, it's only 6 days, but I believe if I stick at it it will become a habit!

Today I've done fairly well. For breakfast I had porridge with water. I then had a (smaller than yesterday) bit of NLY for a snack. I didn't end up having lunch til 4 and because I Was sooo hungry I ate A LOT (half a chicken with lots of swede/carrot mash). This made me realise I need to eat lunch earlier even if I am not that hungry, to avoid overeating later- despite the food being not being bad, I felt so stuffed afterwards!

I also just had an accidental slip up- I went to the gym and for a quick protein hit afterwards I bought some packaged chicken chunks but notice they have some bad preservatives/additives in.

Anyway, I'm going to keep on Phase 1, except I'm now going to be adding in skimmed milk just to have with tea. I've noticed a lot of people find cutting milk out of tea/coffee hard, but I'm not sure if that's because it's a acquired taste thing and you are used to drinking it at that colour and taste or whether you are actually craving the milk in it and that could indicate intolerance? For me, I'm not craving milk in any other form so I hope it's just because I love tea the way I've always loved and known it.

I ramble so much!! I should really maybe start my own thread, and then only people who want to read have to !

Emma

Forum Guest

Hi Emma
    Stick with it, my thyroid was over active in Jan 2012 and zapped by radio iodine in September of that year, so now it's theoretically gone and I'm also on thyroxine replacement but only a low dose and in addition to the weight loss the best thing I've found with THD is that my energy levels have massively improved from eating real food

I'm also on day 6 today and have decided not to weigh at least until the weekend, but I'm feeling loads brighter again

Karen

Jill4488
    Visitor

Emma, some of the thyroid sites can be quite negative and most people will have experienced trying to control their weight on a calorie deficit basis. Low calorie diets can really upset your metabolism and your thyroid won't know if it's coming or going. I firmly believe that THD has helped stabilise my thyroid in the past year and kept my metabolism and blood sugar in check. I've managed to reduce my medication for the first time in ten years and I've managed to lose weight along the way.

It can be pretty scary when you're first diagnosed but it is possible to be in charge of your own health and not let things get in the way of achieving your goals x

Jill4488
    Visitor

I had porridge with a little coconut oil and mixed spice for breakfast. Ham and egg salad with mayonnaise for lunch and pork chops with roasted sprouts, cabbage and parsnip mash for tea. I've got some mash leftover to make bubble and squeak with to go with my tea tomorrow.

I'm not planning on weighing now until the end of the Blitz but my clothes are definitely slacker round my waist already.

Ghent, Belgium (born USA - UK nationalilty through marriage)

Emma, feel free to continue posting here. There are a number of people on the forum who have had thyroid problems and THD has only done them good. Well done on your progress to date. You will feel better and better as time goes on.

Off to bed now so till tomorrow.