Thread: A very small YAY from me!

LizS
    Visitor

Default A very small YAY from me!

I know probably seems not very much, but I just want to say I've finally done it.. I've got through the first steps on a diet!! day 5 done, and not a single slip.

I lost a lot of weight in 2012, but spent 2013 putting it all back on and feeling very down about it, yet I couldn't get myself up and out of the slump. In fact it just got worse as I've always been a comfort eater so naturally turned to food while being upset about my weight!

Anyway, I ended up on THD mailing list because I joined the July blitz through the daily mail promo.. only I didn't even get around to starting it (let alone failing!).. so when the email came out over Christmas I did some proper reading and thought I'd give it a go. Reading the list of Candida symptoms was a real eye-opener!

So, 5 days in, about 4lbs down so far (52 to go..). I'm sticking to phase 1 for the next couple of days just because I did a whole weeks shop based on that. I'm not even thinking about chocolate which is amazing to me, it's such a relief to not have that constant nag in my head! People don't understand that, but I would sit all day and just think about where and when I could find some junk food, and they'd say 'just don't keep any at home' but I'd stop and buy it every day on the way home!

That's my story anyway, right now I feel really good and I'm hoping it will continue! Not to mention I've definitely got rid of some bloating, I've just been in the gym and my tummy looked a lot flatter in the mirrors there..

Hope everyone has had a good day!

well done LizS it's so lovely when the penny drops and people start to feel free from the food cravings finally keep up the good work and remember to read the phase 2 sticky before you move on, introducing one food at a time, wait a few days to measure any ill effects before trying the next. Be prepared for some surprises, fruit caused me a big gain.

Well done LizS. I know exactly what you mean about the "constant nag in your head" - I am so sensitive to sugar I can get it from a carrot or a tomato. But knowledge like that is freedom - now I can make the choice - eat that and suffer the nag or don't and have an afternoon free from cravings. My sugar monster wakes up and reminds me of all the things that "just need finishing up then I won't remind you any more"....I wish he would just pack his bags and leave home. Trouble is I have a lot of things my sugar monster loves growing in my garden - passionfruits, tomatoes, corn, mulberries when in season, oranges etc - and he says in a wheedling voice: "but they are homegrown and organic, they must be good for you..." and, fool that I am, I believe him and he just settles in for the season!!

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your post with a rant!

Sue

Well done Liz. I can recognise how you feel/have felt and how great it is to finally be in control. Good luck with the rest of your phase 1 and the move into phase 2.

Well done Liz - the end of phase 1 is a pretty big milestone!

Good work!
    The worst bigots in the world are those who most loudly proclaim their Ďtoleranceí

Brilliant - i remember feeling such relief and amazement that all those awful feelings disappeared! Even now if I fall off the wagon, I don't panic or feel guilty any more, even though this time round I have gained quite a bit, because I know I can go back to it - and generally if I've been eating crap, I actually look forward to starting again!

Good idea to do longer on p1 though - particularly if the candida symptoms really resonated with you - it won't do you any harm to stay on it longer, but if you go over the week, I would start to avoid mixing after that. (e.g. no mixing fats and carbs)

Good luck - and keep us posted!

Well done

You deserve a big yay, not a small one!

Phase 1 is a big deal & very difficult for lots of people. Well done you! *pat on back*

LizS
    Visitor

Thanks everyone!

Really just feels like a relief to have got back in the right mindset. I was just all over the place last year!

I read the sticky last night about transition, and the warnings about going straight for things you really liked. Iím very aware that things such as fruit I do normally go for the sweeter options, gala apples, melon, strawberries etc, and I donít want to jump straight in to giving myself any cravings, so Iím definitely going to give myself a bit more time on phase 1, that should also get me just back under 15 stone again, which would also be a massive boost mentally. Probably only be 4 days to a week more, so not too long.

Have to say, even with the restrictions I really donít feel Ďdeprivedí on phase 1. I admit I didnít cut out skimmed milk from my tea.. This is the longest Iíve lasted without coke zero so I needed to keep sane somehow

Quote Originally Posted by cazbah View Post
    well done LizS it's so lovely when the penny drops and people start to feel free from the food cravings finally keep up the good work and remember to read the phase 2 sticky before you move on, introducing one food at a time, wait a few days to measure any ill effects before trying the next. Be prepared for some surprises, fruit caused me a big gain.
    Thanks Cazbah - I did read the sticky and as I say above I do go for the sweeter fruits, so I'm going to watch that very carefully. Very weird to think that fruit could cause that much upset!

Quote Originally Posted by Sallywags View Post
    Good idea to do longer on p1 though - particularly if the candida symptoms really resonated with you - it won't do you any harm to stay on it longer, but if you go over the week, I would start to avoid mixing after that. (e.g. no mixing fats and carbs)
    Thanks for the advice Sallywags - I think I'm pretty much doing that already, most of my meals have been fat meals, with the exception of porridge occasionally in the mornings, but I think I will give the rules another read tonight just to make sure.