Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Probiotic foods to make at home - NLY, Kefir, Sauerkraut, Miso & Kumbucha

Default Probiotic foods to make at home - NLY, Kefir, Sauerkraut, Miso & Kumbucha

I have been on THD for 15 months and at Phase 3 for the last year.

Both learning a huge deal from Zoe's books, as well as from this wonderful forum, I have now started making my own probiotic foods in a pro-active move to enhance my gut flora:

1/. Making NLY (Natural Live Yoghurt) - I use an EasiYo flask, for my own convenience, with 2 spoons of the previous yoghurt batch, 2 spoons of milk powder and organic Moo UHT whole milk - lovely! When I remember, I add the powder of 1 or 2 Bio-kult caps, just to boost the mix.
    More information here - Easy home Made Yoghurt

2/. Making milk Kefir - this is really fool-proof and takes no time at all. Just leave at room temperature and enjoy the following day! This is Chris Kresser's take on it. Can be either very fizzy (if lid left closed) or just a hint of fizz (if lid left open).
    More information here - Making Kefir At home

3/. Sauerkraut white cabbage - our Mat has a great recipe for making it at home. I buy Raw Sauerkraut from Ocado. Please note, all main supermarket variety's (including the Organic BioNova - so popular in Health stores) are pasteurised - with NO probiotic benefit!

4/. Miso - a staple of the Japanese cuisine, and a corner-stone of the Macrobiotic diet. Miso is fermented soya bean on a base of barley (wintery) or brown rice (nicer in summer). Be sure to use unpasteurised organic miso, for full probiotic benefits!
    Use half a tea spoon in pre-boiled water. You can add ginger, turmeric and pepper to taste. It is good practice NOT to add the miso until the preparation has cooled to about 50c-55c. You should ignore the idea of miso as a "soup" and feel free to add it to any dish at the table as a condiment. A 300gr jar of paste will make 70 or 80 soups - so really not worth buying the powdered packs...

5/. Making fizzy sugar Kefir - there is a way of cultivating regular 'milk' kefir grains to accepting sugar instead of milk. Thus, using no milk or even no milk alternatives. As all the sugar turns into alcohol (less than 0.5%) this drink is neither sweet nor carby. Surprisingly refreshing in summer!
    More information here - Sugar Kefir at Home.

6/. Raw Cheese - when choosing raw cheese for its probiotic properties, you should distinguish between unpasteurised cheese (that MAY be heated to just below 70c!) and actual RAW cheese from milk that was never heat treated at all (hence, no higher than cow's body temp)!
    Thus, "unpasteurised" is also referred to as "Thermised". Both Ocado and Waitrose have a great selection of genuine raw cheeses. If you keep raw cheese at room temperature, its taste actually enhances and in principle, it can keep for many months!

7/. Pickles - be sure to choose sea-salt based pickles that actually encourage probiotic growth, to vinegar based pickles that hinder it!

8/. Apple Cider Vinegar (with Mother) - choose raw and organic vinegar, with Mother. Consume on an empty stomach, but NOT in conjunction or close proximity to other probiotic foods!

9/. Kumbucha - this is a tea based slightly fizzy drink (usually based on black or green tea - I make mine with organic white tea). It takes about 2 weeks to ferment, after which all the sugar turns to alcohol and vinegar - so the result is a very slight fizz, tart drink with a hint of vinegar.

Are there any other foods/drinks that you make at home that are specifically probiotic / with live cultures etc?

If anyone wants some of my kefir - I will be more than happy to post some out.
    Last edited by manulike; 29th September 2014 at 02:56 PM.
    "The great enemy of the truth isn't the lie - deliberate, contrived and dishonest - but the myth - persistent, persuasive and unrealistic. Belief in myths allows the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought" - John F Kennedy

All the suggestions manulike has given above are excellent but we must remember all the factors in our lifestyles that contribute to the decline in diversity of gut flora.
    Dr Art Ayers has been talking about this for some time and his two most recent posts provide a lot of useful information.

Develop Healthy Gut Flora and Suppressive Immune System
    Particularly this section
    Avoid antibiotics that kill bacteria.
    Avoid hygiene practices, e.g. antibacterial soaps, bleaching surfaces, closing toilet covers, etc. that eliminate sources of healthy bacteria.
    Kiss your loved ones and pets, and encourage everyone to garden/play in the soil (an excellent source of thousands of different species of bacteria.)
    Recruit healthy gut bacteria by eating a variety of homemade fermented vegetables. My most highly recommended source is my friends at: http://www.fermentista.us
    Remember that cooked or pasteurized foods do not contain useful bacteria.
    Remember that dairy probiotic bacteria cannot live in the human gut and can only provide a temporary help to the immune system.
    Limit the variety of foods that are consumed and gradually change with the seasons to avoid rapid changes in nutrients to which gut flora cannot adapt. Food intolerances indicate maladapted gut flora.
    Constipation indicates dysfunctional gut flora and a compromised immune system.
    Do remember there is little or no point in avoiding antibacterial cleaners if you continue using a toothpaste containing the antibacterial ingredient triclosan.

Remember also Dr Ayers advice to "Kiss your loved ones" when you have a THD get together.
    I want to hear back that you have all made a special effort to share your good commensal bacteria in the appropriate fashion.

Dr. Oz Diet and Gut Flora Myths

Quote Originally Posted by TedHutchinson View Post

Remember also Dr Ayers advice to "Kiss your loved ones" when you have a THD get together.
    I want to hear back that you have all made a special effort to share your good commensal bacteria in the appropriate fashion.

Dr. Oz Diet and Gut Flora Myths

Hey, Jules!
    I hope your hubby won't mind me and Andy implementing Ted's good advice when we meet in February ;-)
    "The great enemy of the truth isn't the lie - deliberate, contrived and dishonest - but the myth - persistent, persuasive and unrealistic. Belief in myths allows the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought" - John F Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by TedHutchinson View Post

Do remember there is little or no point in avoiding antibacterial cleaners if you continue using a toothpaste containing the antibacterial ingredient triclosan.
    Can you please recommend a supermarket toothpaste that might be triclosan (and maybe also fluoride) free ?

Runtara
    Visitor

I know there will be some people here who don't agree, but I personally draw the line at kissing pets, especially when I see pictures/videos of people letting their dogs lick their faces!

Sounds like the Cardiff meet up will be fun!

The Invisible Universe Of The Human Microbiome

Watch An Adorable Animated Exploration Of The Microbiome So. Many. Bacteria.

Probably more suitable for children but a good starting point for those who are new to the topic.

Antimicrobial from soaps promotes bacteria build-up in human noses

An antimicrobial agent found in common household soaps, shampoos and toothpastes may be finding its way inside human noses where it promotes the colonization of Staphylococcus aureus bacteria and could predispose some people to infection.

I wonder if this also happens with ears?
    It may be an idea to introduce beneficial bacteria (probiotics) into these areas if you are subject to repeat infections?
    Don't know if anyone has tried using yoghurt/kefir applied directly to the nose or ears to try to provide some competition to the pathogenic antibiotic resistant bacteria.
    Last edited by TedHutchinson; 8th April 2014 at 11:41 AM.

Andy and Zoe have started drinking goat kefir made in West Wales - Richard Jones, the owner has a great story to tell of how his goat kefir saved him from MRSA. I also gave them a batch of my own Kefir the last time we met.

Probiotics Survive Better with Some Fat: It’s the pH

It may be better to consume your probiotic foods with a fat meal