Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread: Probiotic foods to make at home - NLY, Kefir, Sauerkraut, Miso & Kumbucha

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gilli View Post
    Do you drink the whole batch on the 4th day? Does that mean you are running succession cultures so you always have a 4th day batch ready for consumption?
    All 4 of us share 500ml - basically, I've always got the jar and 3 grolsch bottles on the go. I/we drink the oldest bottle and shift 'em along replacing the youngest with the contents of the jar, putting new milk in the jar.

Quote Originally Posted by Christelle View Post
    Are you on sugar or milk grains, Mat?
    Milk grains!
    The worst bigots in the world are those who most loudly proclaim their ‘tolerance’

I thought so.
    I have 500ml kefir ready every morning, strain, add fresh milk and strain again the next morning.
    Sometimes it goes so fast I place them in the fridge for the day and leave them on the counter during the night but they are still ready by the next morning
    Trust the process, the results will come

I have started converting grains last night.
    I am quite excited to see what happens

Blog Entries

Sounds interesting Christelle. Do keep us informed.
    Gilli - DLTBGYD

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by roseymary View Post
    I was in a chemist yesterday where they had Kombucha (spelling?) on sale, a 300 ml bottle had 5g carbs which is over a teaspoon so I decided not to buy even tbough it's supposed to be so good for me.
    With all probiotic beverages and foods, one only needs to consume a very small amount but on a daily basis. One bottle of Kombucha tea lasts me several days. The sugar in each daily dose would be negligible. However, there is trace alcohol in Kombucha tea so do be mindful of that. Again, it's negligible if you only drink about 60ml per day.
    "Insulin is the Miracle-Gro for your fat cells."
    David Ludwig, Prof. Nutrition Harvard School of Public Health

Quote Originally Posted by Gilli View Post
    Sounds interesting Christelle. Do keep us informed.
    I am feeling very dumb with this, but I do think I am getting it right.
    Last night I thought I had my first burp and this morning the water had a bit of fizz to it.
    I have been using mineral water, a tiny bit of bicarb, brown sugar and about 10 dried cranberries. The water has a thicker viscosity to it and it is syrup like. I cannot decide if this is due to the fermenting or the sugar that gets added. And even though it is not recommended to consume these first batches I have tried it this morning. It does still taste sweet, so I do not think all the sugar has been used up yet.
    From the very first batch it smelled like ginger beer to me although I had no ginger close to the mix. I have now given the grains their 3rd batch of water mix and added some ground ginger and freshly grated ginger in the bottle. Now we wait