Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kefir

Default Kefir

Hi All,
    I was wondering if kefir would be OK to have during phase 1 as, like NLY, it is well tolerated even with a lactose intolerance.
    Also, my kefir never gets thick. It has a few "yogurty" bits in it and tastes a bit fizzy. If I leave it any longer, it separates! Is the kefir ready even though it hasn't changed much in consistency?
    Many thanks

Any idea anyone?

To be safe; I wouldn't!
    The worst bigots in the world are those who most loudly proclaim their ‘tolerance’

The person to ask is manulike...but I've not seen him on for a few days.

As its similar to yogurt it may be OK.
    Put 'kefir' in the search box...there are quite a few threads.
    Dear Stomach,you are bored,not hungry. So shut up.

OK, thank you both. I thought it would be a good food to add in Phase 1 but will wait until I have finished now, just in case. Unless Manulike has an answer for me?...

As it's only 5 days; i'd just skip it!
    The worst bigots in the world are those who most loudly proclaim their ‘tolerance’

Hi there,
    Zoe has already answered this in another post - it is identical to yoghurt and thus ok for phase 1
    As the kefir grains feed off the lactose, there is practically no lactose in kefir -hence sugar free
    "The great enemy of the truth isn't the lie - deliberate, contrived and dishonest - but the myth - persistent, persuasive and unrealistic. Belief in myths allows the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought" - John F Kennedy

Ah, thank you manulike! What about my question about the consistency of kefir, would you know the answer?:
    "Also, my kefir never gets thick. It has a few "yogurty" bits in it and tastes a bit fizzy. If I leave it any longer, it separates! Is the kefir ready even though it hasn't changed much in consistency?"

From my experience over the last year, the consistency of the kefir seems to be down to room temperature and the actual acclimatisation of the grains to your kitchen environment. Be sure to keep them away from sunlight, and in a dark place. Also, be sure to stir the content twice a day, to spread the kefir grains all around the milk. Finally, try experimenting with whole milk or even adding some single cream to it (which I find gives very thick yoghurt).

If you dont like the fizzy aspect, then keep the jar slightly open, or use a jar that doesn't seal.

I created a web page about it here - http://www.citymarshall.co.uk/kefir-cultures-at-home.html
    Last edited by manulike; 12th September 2014 at 11:06 AM.
    "The great enemy of the truth isn't the lie - deliberate, contrived and dishonest - but the myth - persistent, persuasive and unrealistic. Belief in myths allows the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought" - John F Kennedy

Hi redfrenchy,
    Any success?