Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Kefir

Hi manulike!
    Yes, I added a little (double) cream to the milk and stirred the kefir half-way through and it became lovely and thick! It didn't taste as fizzy as usual though. It tasted nice and creamy like a thick yogurt.
    Do you think it was fermented though?
    Many thanks x

Can't say that I am a scientific expert... But remember that single cream and double cream have very little lactose / sugar - so technically they should not be aiding 'fermentation' as such. None the less, just as you experienced, I too found that my Kefir loves it and they really multiply and flourish with it. Albeit primitive bacteria, they are a super clever living organism - so they must realise that the nutrients in cream are much better for them ;-)

Tend to only add cream every 5 or 6 weeks, though - just for a boost!
    "The great enemy of the truth isn't the lie - deliberate, contrived and dishonest - but the myth - persistent, persuasive and unrealistic. Belief in myths allows the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought" - John F Kennedy

Ok, thanks. Will try it without cream next and see if it thickens up again

I chucked some double cream in mine yesterday, and this morning, it kind of exploded out of the jar somewhat, and was thick enough to eat with a spoon (whey underneath). Will report on the taste/texture tomorrow, as I like mine well chilled!

Completely forgot to update.... Chucking a little double cream in my kefir once or twice a week has improved the taste and texture enormously!

Really pleased I can include it in my planned P1 next week!

Oooh! After 1 week on phase 1, then horrendous PMS & lots of family dinners, had a week off😥
    Now back on phase 1 (need to follow for 6 - 8 weeks cos I'm VERY overweight and lots of candida / food addiction symptoms....
    Was about to order Kefir in my weekly organic veg delivery box, when thought it was best to check it's ok as an alternative to nly.
    Thanks for this thread 😊

Yes, good alternative to NLY, and easy to make at home! Quite sour compared to NLY.

My mum sent me a kefir kit, complete with grains, non-metal utensils and a fermenting jar with a mesh lid. I fed it jersey unhomogenised milk. Even on the first attempt it made lovely yoghurty kefir after a couple of days (my kitchen is quite cold). I've just drained it and restarted with organic whole milk and a touch of cream. Now I just have to decide what to do with it!
    Find what works for your body. Don't cheat yourself too often or too much.

I have a small glass full first thing most days. Rarely eat yogurt at all now.

I'm thinking I'm going to have to slow it down after the first couple of rounds, once it gets efficient. Have you eaten the grains at all?
    Find what works for your body. Don't cheat yourself too often or too much.