Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Kefir

No, and to be honest, don't fancy them. I add about the same amount to mine as I drink each day, so I don't end up with too much, and the grains seem to multiply fairly slowly that way. I decant every three or four days to the fridge, I can only drink it chilled. I use kilner jars, and just chuck them through the dishwasher every two or three weeks. And I'm still here!

I'd recommend drinking the kefir at room temperature and on an empty stomach, if possible.
    This will give the bacteria a better chance to colonise your intestines.
    Try to go easy with the added single/double cream - always remembering that the kefir does need regular milk lactose as well...
    Finally, I am a bit like our Sarah, and very rarely have NLY nowadays. I just start every morning with about half a glass of kefir ;-)
    "The great enemy of the truth isn't the lie - deliberate, contrived and dishonest - but the myth - persistent, persuasive and unrealistic. Belief in myths allows the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought" - John F Kennedy

Sorry, can't manage it at room temp!

you weak earthling
    "The great enemy of the truth isn't the lie - deliberate, contrived and dishonest - but the myth - persistent, persuasive and unrealistic. Belief in myths allows the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought" - John F Kennedy

It's going wild! I've moved it to the fridge, because it thickened overnight. Is it lactose the grains need, or any sugar? And why does you say not to add honey, but maple syrup is okay?
    Find what works for your body. Don't cheat yourself too often or too much.

Quote Originally Posted by manulike View Post
    you weak earthling
    Yup!

Quote Originally Posted by sarapriestley View Post
    It's going wild! I've moved it to the fridge, because it thickened overnight. Is it lactose the grains need, or any sugar? And why does you say not to add honey, but maple syrup is okay?
    I don't add anything to mine, except a little cream occasionally, and yes, it will thicken overnight. Putting it in the fridge slows down the process without killing it. I have left for 2-3 weeks in the fridge, grains and all, for holidays etc.

The kefir grains feed of milk lactose. Hence lactose-free milk will be of no use to them.
    There are other special kefir grains that feed of sugar (known as water kefir) - I tried them for a few months, but I found them too addictive!
    It is possible to convert our own milk kefir to adapt to sugar - I call this process sugar kefir. Its a half-way house between the two originals. Very fizzy pop-like drink that you can flavour with ginger/cinnamon or lime etc.
    Read about it here - http://www.citymarshall.co.uk/sugar-kefir-cardiff.html
    Honey is an excellent anti-bacterial. Hence it will kill the beneficial kefir bacteria instantly!

I really need to get me some kefir grains and do this!!!
    The worst bigots in the world are those who most loudly proclaim their ‘tolerance’

Mine seem particularly active, despite being posted. If you want some of them, I can meet you in Nottingham for lunch one day.

And doh on the honey! It's so obvious that I couldn't see it.

Definitely going to try and convert some of my grains. (Autocorrect said 'brains', it might be right...)
    Find what works for your body. Don't cheat yourself too often or too much.