Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: January Blitz - Day 1. Happy New Year!

**whistling innocently as she slides in the back**

So yeah, hi Not sure if anyone remembers me, it's been a while. I've now been in Canada since March and on site since August. I wish I could say my eating & therefore weight has been going well but it hasn't so even though THD is really hard for me here due to the cafeteria style meals, I think I need to brave the frowny faces at my mixing and get some accountability. Also some ideas on tweaks would be good - some things I know I'm choosing deliberating to cheat, other times it feels more like no choice at all. And a food intolerance test at the end of the year identified issues with wheat, cow's milk & eggs - the latter two no doubt due to the fact that I've been living off them the last 6 months - so that's made life a little more complicated

Today:
    Breakfast: 2 sausages, baked beans, 2 hash browns. I know I need to dump the hash browns and baked beans but not sure what to replace them with. It was eggs of course but no longer, and the oatmeal is made with cows milk.
    Lunch: roast beef with lettuce & spring onion. leftovers from last night's dinner - bit unusual but we had a feast for NYE
    Dinner: tbd - won't know until I get there but the plan I always have is meat + veg...just depends on my self control to ignore the potatoes and how the meat is served
    Drinks: min. 2 litres water - I have some sparkling water as a special treat over Xmas but in a couple of days I'll be back to tap water only

It's good to be back

Supermember 2010-14 hattie the cattie's Avatar

Nice to hear from you, welcome back
    See my Visitor Messages for more about me & My Album for photos

B: NLY
    L: Tin of Salmon and 2 boiled eggs
    T: Chicken and pan fried Courgette with THD mayo
    S: Mangetout

Exercise - Rollerblading (very retro!!)

Quote Originally Posted by hejoba View Post
    (...)on site since August (...) THD is really hard for me here due to the cafeteria style meals (...) sometimes it feels more like no choice at all (...) I know I need to dump the hash browns and baked beans but not sure what to replace them with. It was eggs of course but no longer, and the oatmeal is made with cows milk.

Welcome back, hejoba! Are you at an archaeological site? (I just visited your profile page) And is there no way to prepare your own meals? Perhaps if you ditch wheat and dairy your body might be able to tolerate small amounts of eggs as the total intolerant food load will be less?? Everyone is different, of course, but with limited choices that may be one strategy.
    It is said that truth passes through 3 stages: First, it is ridiculed. Then, it is violently opposed. Finally, itís accepted as being self-evident.

I have a confession to make. The very fact that today is designated as the starting day of the January blitz, means I am physically incapable of adhering to it. I shall start tomorrow. I've always had a problem taking good advice ...
    My mind is like my PC screen: 19 tabs open on the top bar, 3 of them are frozen, 25 half written emails on the bottom bar, and I have no idea where the music is coming from...

Quote Originally Posted by Peapod View Post
    Welcome back, hejoba! Are you at an archaeological site? (I just visited your profile page) And is there no way to prepare your own meals? Perhaps if you ditch wheat and dairy your body might be able to tolerate small amounts of eggs as the total intolerant food load will be less?? Everyone is different, of course, but with limited choices that may be one strategy.
    No, a construction site - archaeology is only a hobby...paid for by construction! I have a fridge & microwave in my room so I can prepare some food - but apart from the time & cost issue, I'm here 21 days then fly out for 7 - I simply don't have room in my suitcase to bring food in for 21 days. I have some pea protein powder to make a smoothie with fruit when there's nothing I can take at dinner for the next day's lunch, and I have oatmeal & some tins of tuna but I'd say out of 63 meals I can only plan to make my own for 10-12 of those so I need to make the cafeteria choices work for me. I know it can be done...it's doing it while also enjoying the food that's a bit harder, after a 12 hour day I don't want to feel I have to choose a meal I don't really like just because it's good for me, that's not sustainable

As for the eggs, they were the worst intolerance, and both yolks & whites but not surprising since I was eating them at least twice a day every day. I'm hoping if I cut them out (which is actually easier than cutting out dairy, which seems to get in everything) for a few months the intolerance will go but I'm not sure I trust myself not to go overboard again afterwards just because they're so damn convenient

Thanks for the welcome back

hi Hejoba, I became intolerant to egg, dropped them from my diet for around 6 months and am now OK with them again.

Regarding your current circumstances, I think you have to do the best you can in the context you are working within, and congratulate yourself for making the better choices from what is available to you rather than berate yourself for being unable to follow a strict Harcombe routine.

You can only do your best ... Be kind to yourself stressing about it will only make it worse
    My mind is like my PC screen: 19 tabs open on the top bar, 3 of them are frozen, 25 half written emails on the bottom bar, and I have no idea where the music is coming from...

I agree with Linda about the stressing/obessing thing. Definitely counter productive.

Sounds like there are no shops nearby if you have to bring in your own food.

Are you in any particular hurry to lose weight or can you take the scenic route and make due with the best choices under the circumstances? As for eating food you don't really like but which is good for you my only comment is that our tastes do change given time and the things that we do like that aren't good for us will eventually lose their appeal.

(EDIT: Afterthought: Jerky, Olives, lower carb/higher fat nuts, these are portable and not too perishable...)
    It is said that truth passes through 3 stages: First, it is ridiculed. Then, it is violently opposed. Finally, itís accepted as being self-evident.

Quote Originally Posted by Peapod View Post
    Sounds like there are no shops nearby if you have to bring in your own food.
    Yes, 1.5 hrs to the nearest town with a co-op that's basically a gas station store! 2.5 hrs to the larger town with a Safeway & Walmart. And we work 7 days a week, 12 hours a day so the only time I go off site is to/from the airport. So it's an intersting situation and there are many of us that struggle with weight & health due to the constraints, but I wouldn't be happy doing 9-5 in a city so I need to just figure it out. I hope my tastes will change to make it easier

Thanks!

Am going to quietly sneek in here...I can see I'll be in good company.

Today I had...
    A very cheesy omelette
    Prawns and mayo,pate
    Slow cooked belly pork,some plum tomatoes
    Decaf and cream,about 25gm 90%
    Dear Stomach,you are bored,not hungry. So shut up.