Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fat Bombs...for Those Doing Keto/LCHF

The one I've got at the moment is really strong - and it's just got too much for me! Pup seems to like it though!!
    Embraced THD - got a way to go yet, but loving it!

Forum Guest

My children made Gingerbread at the weekend and the smell whilst cooking and subsequent biscuit a day for pudding has really tested my resolve. Then I came upon this fat bomb thread and thought I had the answer:
    2tbsp grass fed butter
    1tbsp double cream
    1 tsp ground ginger
    0.5 tsp cinnamon
    0.25 tsp all spice
    Just tested the 'raw' mixture before putting in the fridge and it tastes like the smell of gingerbread ! .... but then a strange after taste - grrrr the grass fed butter is salted and that does not quite work for this recipe.

Oh well I think I shall have much fun experimenting with this. Just what I needed as the choc cravings are strong at the moment.

Brigitta

Ooo...that looks good, though I'd probably use that much spice for one of my recipes that makes 15 mini bombs.
    Dear Stomach,you are bored,not hungry. So shut up.

Quote Originally Posted by grumbleweed View Post
    I found these on a low carb site. They can also be downloaded as a free eBook.
    I downloaded the free eBook and printed it out. It's 19 pages, with one recipe per page.

I went through the entire thing and listed every ingredient mentioned.

Here they are, catalogued in alphabetical order by type (fats, spices, other flavorings, nuts, etc.) so that it can be referenced as a shopping list for anyone interested in making these recipes or creating your own (feel free to add to this list!) Also, this may be helpful for vegetarians doing THD?:

FATS - Dairy:
    Cream cheese
    Ghee
    Grass-fed butter
    Heavy cream

FATS - Non-dairy:
    Cacao butter
    Coconut butter
    Coconut cream
    Coconut oil
    Creamed coconut

FATS - Nuts:
    Almond butter
    Peanut butter
    (seed butters were not mentioned, but could be used)

FATS - Other
    Bacon fat

SPICES
    Allspice
    Chai spice
    Cinnamon
    Clove
    Ginger (ground, and fresh)
    Nutmeg
    Pumpkin spice

OTHER FLAVORINGS
    Almond extract
    Cacao powder
    Cocoa powder
    Coffee extract
    Lemon juice
    Maple extract
    Orange zest
    Peppermint extract
    Sea salt
    Vanilla extract

NUTS
    Almonds
    Pecans
    Pistachios
    Walnuts

FRUIT
    Blueberries
    Strawberries

MISC.
    Coconut flour
    Pumpkin puree
    Shredded coconut
    Dark chocolate

SWEETENERS
    Honey
    Splenda (liquid, powder, packets)
    Truvia
    It is said that truth passes through 3 stages: First, it is ridiculed. Then, it is violently opposed. Finally, itís accepted as being self-evident.

P.S: I don't see any reason why not to use egg yolks as one of the fats? It's used raw in ice cream after all...
    It is said that truth passes through 3 stages: First, it is ridiculed. Then, it is violently opposed. Finally, itís accepted as being self-evident.

Quote Originally Posted by Peapod View Post
    P.S: I don't see any reason why not to use egg yolks as one of the fats? It's used raw in ice cream after all...
    Give it a try and let us know if it works!

I have a new favourite fat bomb - dark and bitter.

250g pot of mascarpone cheese
    125g 100% choc (I used the M&S columbian one they have in the hot drinks section - tesco sell it too as drops, so more expensive!)
    1 tsp molasses - this recipe makes 30 bombs, so this is nothing. I wanted to keep it quite bitter, but any sweetener to taste.
    2ish tblsp strong espresso, or tia Maria (again, insignificant in the total quantity.

Whip or beat the mascarpone until soft
    Melt the choc and beat in the sweetener
    Add the coffee/alcohol - don't worry if it goes really thick
    Beat or whip into the cheese, keep going until really well mixed and soft.

Then roll in baking paper into a log (might need to chill a bit first), chill and slice
    Also works well in a silicon ice cube tray (needs to be soft so they pop out)
    Or can chill slightly, make small balls and coat in cocoa or finely chopped nuts

Be aware, this is dark, strong and bitter. You might need to adjust to your taste.
    Find what works for your body. Don't cheat yourself too often or too much.

This sounds delicious, Sara.
    When do you eat fat bombs on THD?

I used to make fatbombs as well as my own dark and bitter chocolate, when I was trying keto / LCHF, but since I have been back to proper THD I have not touched any.

Quote Originally Posted by sarapriestley View Post
    I have a new favourite fat bomb - dark and bitter.

250g pot of mascarpone cheese
    125g 100% choc (I used the M&S columbian one they have in the hot drinks section - tesco sell it too as drops, so more expensive!)
    1 tsp molasses - this recipe makes 30 bombs, so this is nothing. I wanted to keep it quite bitter, but any sweetener to taste.
    2ish tblsp strong espresso, or tia Maria (again, insignificant in the total quantity.

Whip or beat the mascarpone until soft
    Melt the choc and beat in the sweetener
    Add the coffee/alcohol - don't worry if it goes really thick
    Beat or whip into the cheese, keep going until really well mixed and soft.

Then roll in baking paper into a log (might need to chill a bit first), chill and slice
    Also works well in a silicon ice cube tray (needs to be soft so they pop out)
    Or can chill slightly, make small balls and coat in cocoa or finely chopped nuts

Be aware, this is dark, strong and bitter. You might need to adjust to your taste.
    Ooo! They look good! Is this the chocolate you use?...or is it the powder?
    I've used the bar...its a **** to grate/chop...very hard!

The first, simple answer is you don't!
    The next answer is as a phase 3 treat.

My personal answer is that I eat a bit phase 2+ all the time. My diet would hardly change if I were lighter. I'm eating in a totally sustainable way and still slowly losing weight, so I'm happy. I also eat very low carb most of the time, probably onky eating significant carbs once or twice a week. I also find it very easy to eat very large amounts of protein - too much, really,and excessive protein affects blood sugar and kidneys/liver. I find that a high fat treat can give me energy without overloading my system. It's not that different from having a lump of cheese on a slice of cucumber. I've also been eating this way a long time now and I am getting much better at listening to my body and responding. I might have two as a dessert, or maybe as breakfast if I'm teaching and can't work on a full belly, or as a snack if I have lunch at 12 and dinner won't be until 9. They are definitely within the context of my whole diet, not just an add-on - so if I have chicken for dinner, the next day I might want more fat, if I've had a juicy steak, less so.

I know that is a really long answer, but it's important that things like this are taken in context.
    Find what works for your body. Don't cheat yourself too often or too much.