Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: January Blitz Day 6 - Managing and avoiding problem foods

Default January Blitz Day 6 - Managing and avoiding problem foods

Hi everyone,

we touch on problem foods todays and how they can trigger cravings so do share your tactics for managing or avoiding your problem foods for others to learn from.

Hope you all have a great Saturday.
    The truth is deafening, no matter how quietly spoken.

The easiest way to avoid problem foods is not to have them in the house. Don't kid yourself that they are for your husband, children, grandchildren, visitors etc. If you absolutely must have problem foods in the house don't waver about having "just one" or "just a slice". And if you do give in - don't think - "oh now I've blown it, I might as well have ..... and ....."!!

And having said that - I've done it so many times. But I'm learning - slowly! And always remember - "the first "no" is the easiest".
    Sue - the first "no thank you" is the easiest

My problem is milk, I crave lattes (decaf) which is fine for p2 but it seems to then knock on and I start craving something sweet. Not sure if alternatives, I used to drink lattes with soya milk which didn't cause the cravings. Not sure if any alternative.
    I really struggle to avoid problem foods so the useful change I've made is to have cheat meals only instead of a cheat day, I find that if my other meals are p1/p2 it nips it in the bud quickly and I usually stay the same weight or continue to lose.
    I agree about not having in the house, it only takes one moment of weakness!

Forum Guest

Day 6 doing ok so far but struggled not having milk in tea and coffee, but got through 5 days. Do I have to continue without milk or can I have it in drinks now on day 6?

Quote Originally Posted by Naomi.mcdermott View Post
    My problem is milk, I crave lattes (decaf) which is fine for p2 but it seems to then knock on and I start craving something sweet. Not sure if alternatives, I used to drink lattes with soya milk which didn't cause the cravings. Not sure if any alternative.
    I really struggle to avoid problem foods so the useful change I've made is to have cheat meals only instead of a cheat day, I find that if my other meals are p1/p2 it nips it in the bud quickly and I usually stay the same weight or continue to lose.
    I agree about not having in the house, it only takes one moment of weakness!
    If a food - or drink in this case triggers further cravings then there's your answer! Life is much much easier if you can avoid what you know triggers your cravings - even if it is difficult.
    Sue - the first "no thank you" is the easiest

Quote Originally Posted by Newfy View Post
    Day 6 doing ok so far but struggled not having milk in tea and coffee, but got through 5 days. Do I have to continue without milk or can I have it in drinks now on day 6?
    If you can reflect on why you struggled, then decide?

Milk is an "allowed" food on p2, but many of us continue to avoid/reduce it for reasons of digestion, mucus, cravings, for example.

It's also worth remembering that more than a small splash will start to count as a snack - so if you mostly drink between meals, you'd need to be aware of that.

There's also a fantastic freedom in not "needing" milk. A couple of nice teabags in your bag and you are okay anywhere!
    Find what works for your body. Don't cheat yourself too often or too much.

The first 5 days have gone pretty well. I weighed this morning and I've lost 1.7 kg [3.75lbs] which I'm really pleased with. It isn't as much as I've lost previously on P1 but I had already lost my Christmas bloat, before the Blitz started.

I think I'll start to allow myself a little dairy - cheese, so that I can make a sauce for cauli cheese or moussaka etc, rather than to eat on it's own, and I may have a little milk in the occasional decaf cappuccino after a meal. Otherwise I'll stick to black coffee.

Plan for today:
    B - porridge made with water with fat free NLY
    L - sprats fried in butter with salad and possibly some Greek yogurt
    D - grilled pork steak with roast peppers stuffed with tomatoes, anchovies & garlic

My problem food is anything sugary, so I don't have anything remotely sugary in the house. Usually for the first three days of P1 I make sure I have enough food in the house so that I don't even have to step foot inside a supermarket otherwise I know that I will be tempted to buy something bad when I am at the hight of my cravings. Once the cravings have gone I'm OK and don't feel the need to buy anything sugary. However, to maintain this sugar free lifestyle I have to make sure that I don't eat anything that will set me off again, even things like ripe bananas can be too sugary for me. When I was on THD for 6 months I could eat a slice of cake or some chocolate without it setting off the cravings but they would have to be quite a rare occurrence and were usually to fit in with social occasions. I now know that any regular consumption will of course get the cravings going again so until I'm a few months in, I'm not going anywhere near sugar (including fruit). It took a few times of falling off the wagon for me to learn what I could and couldn't tolerate, so if you're a newbie and you manage to crack it first time, that's great, but if you don't then make sure you learn from your mistakes and try again. This time I think I've got it sorted but I'm only 9 days in so we'll see.
    Last edited by HealthyStart; 9th January 2016 at 01:10 PM.

My problem food is a Take Away ! We normally have a curry every Saturday night, sometimes homemade but generally a Take Away from our local, fantastic, restaurant . I love this as it gives me a night off cooking for all the family.
    I'm out for the day today so got prepared last night and cooked a curry so it's ready for us when we get home ( normally we would order a take out and then sit down with a bottle of wine!)
    I managed no wine last night and think I'll not be too bothered when I get home, first weekend is always the hardest .

I've had a little cheese this week as Pescetarian and feel the need for cheese sauces etc, tonight having a veg curry but also bought some Wholemeal Chapatis which have no nasties in them , lost 4lb so far, normally loose 5-6 but any loss is a loss!!!

My problem food is sugar, particularly when wheat is added (i can get away with a one-off wheat intake, e.g. pitta) so i avoid both as much as possible. Alcohol is another trigger. I can have a completely p1/2 meal but have a couple of glasses of wine, and the next day i want to eat junk again. I need to stop this... lol...

i think i've lot around 3lb in my first 5 days. - i don't know exactly as i didn't get on the scales on day one as i was too scared lol! I've done a slightly different p1 for me, as i've had more carb meals (i also have 100% choc but in previous experiments, i don't crave it, and i lose well with it so have used it to help me get through this week lol!). Having more carb meals probably accounts for the slightly lower loss than i normally get in p1, but am happy with it - it has made my week easier as i've been able to feed the family at the same time, and i've actually enjoyed the variety of stuffed peppers etc (i've definitely been more gurgly than normal, which i've been putting down to more peppers and more grains - i.e. rice and oats). I've also had a couple of p2 meals, as i've been short of time/food and had small amounts of cheese on 2 occasions. however i'm not craving and again have enjoyed the variety.

(for any newbies reading, this is not a sensible way to do p1 normally - however i'm well seasoned and have done many experiments lol!)

I would be happy to lose slowly eating like this - will keep you posted!

Oh and my main motivation - my step daughters wedding - has been postponed (financial issues), so i need a new one! (my health and double chin should do it...)