Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For all those coffee aficionados

Cool For all those coffee aficionados

In this hot weather, my latest magical discovery has been cold brew! I first heard about this from a friend in London, and then had my first one oddly enough on holiday in Romania, and it was fantastic! Icy cold, velvety smooth, and absolutely delicious... not of that gritty bitterness you sometimes get with hot coffee.

Now the only places I've stumbled across that do cold brew only do a caffeinated version, so I've been making my own at home from decaff beans. Or you can use decaff ground coffee, but make sure that it is not ground very fine -- you're looking for a breadcrumb texture. Or you can use coffee that's been ground for a French press.

And that's the only hard bit! Next up, weigh the coffee beans and measure out 7-8 times that amount of water (filtered is probably best, but to use honest I use it straight out of a cold tap). Place the coffee in a large enough mason jar, add the water and stir gently. Stick it in the fridge (I've heard you can leave this on the counter too, but I'm not risking it in this hot weather...) and forget about it about 18-24 hours. After this, strain once using a sieve, and then a few more times (depending on how fine your grind is, twice is usually enough!) using a couple of sheets of kitchen roll (or a coffee filter if you've got one, I just use a kitchen roll which works fantastically) and you're done!

Leave this in the fridge and it'll keep for up to a month. It's delicious cold over ice, or with milk, or you could even add boiling water to it to have it warm like hot coffee (I have yet to try this but I've been told by others that it tastes excellent...) Enjoy

The original "recipe" I used is this one: http://www.jamieoliver.com/news-and-...d-brew-coffee/

Club Plus Member

I have heard of this, and must give it a try sometime!

Blog Entries

Interesting. I just make my coffee and bung it in the freezer for 10 minutes. No class!
    Find what works for your body. Don't cheat yourself too often or too much.

Yes I've heard about this..you can freeze it too I believe..
    But I just make up a good strong cafetiere full in the morning then later on pour it over ice cubes. It's my 'go to' brew of this year. Take it in my travel cup for in the car too, Delish. x
    Back with a vengeance! - MY TIME REALLY IS NOW!

Club Plus Member

I have been zapping Douwe Egberts decaff instant, and lately Nescafe Millicano decaff in the blender with ice cubes - even black, you get a pretty good froth on the top!

I'm not a coffee drinker but isn't decaf coffee quite processed?

Blog Entries

Weez decaf coffe is not that processed if you buy the Swiss water method decaf.
    Rosemary

Decaf is fine,just be mindful of the decaffienation process used. Many of us favour lavazza...it uses a non solvent based process. Coffee...by its very nature...needs to be processed. It's not the same as the franken-foods we all choose to avoid.
    Dear Stomach,you are bored,not hungry. So shut up.

Thanks, MissC.
    I am another one using the lazy method, Lavazza de-caf or Taylor's decaf in a caffetiere for breakfast, and then drunk cold when I get back from work. I don't even put it in the fridge... just stays on kitchen top...

Any tips for nice places in Romania? I'm there in September. Beach, spa places, if possible :-)
    "The great enemy of the truth isn't the lie - deliberate, contrived and dishonest - but the myth - persistent, persuasive and unrealistic. Belief in myths allows the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought" - John F Kennedy

Blog Entries

Hubby brings me a coffee in bed every morning at 5am, by the time I wake up it's nice and cold. Best coffe of the day.