Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Celeriac! Wonder veg.

Default Celeriac! Wonder veg.

I'm smiling to myself, thinking back to when I first joined this forum. Someone (think it was Caz) suggested I use celeriac to top off a shepherd's pie . I wrinkled my nose and thought: "pheeeuw" No Thanks.

Notwithstanding, I bought it, and initially made soups with it. It added such a lovely silkiness to most soups, and contrary to what I thought, it didn't taste like the devil's food. Then I began to make remoulade. Then used it as a mash substitute. Then using it with grated carrot and bacon, parmesan and beaten egg to make a sort of fritter. Then I made celeriac chips, and roasted duck fat Celeriac "potatoes" (think roast tato's without the tato!)

I currently have a celeriac bake in the oven - layers of celeriac with dots of butter, onions and chives, gruyere cheese, a touch of crispy bacon and cream mixed with some lacto free phili. It smells gorgeous!

I adore celeriac now, and what's more, it's so Harcombe Friendly. Anyone out there who's never tried it, and who misses spuds, give celeriac a whirl and make this knobbly vegetable a chance to become a firm favourite in your cookery repertoire.

Club Plus Member

The bake sounds a little like my celeriac version of Tartiflette - yummy.

Can I just say a word for the humble turnip? Crisply roasted, it's the closest I have come to a roast potato substitute.

Let's hear it for the turnip. I like turnip too. When we were kids, at Halloween we had hollowed out turnips (didnt go round the doors back then - it was just for your own garden entertainment) and I used to lve the smell of the turnip cooking from the heat of your candle, which - incidentally - was always stuck in an old Smartie top for the base.

I love celeriac but turnip is the worse. It's the only root veg I don't like

Club Plus Member
    Blog Entries

I haven't tried celeriac. Does it have a celery taste? I hate celery - that and brussel sprouts are the only veg I can't stand!
    I use parsnips as roast tater substitute - and carrot and swede mash. Have also discovered cauliflower mash which is great

I love celeriac as well. It's very mildly celery tasting imo. It's a great base for a fish chowder.

Blog Entries

Yummm
    Gilli - DLTBGYD

Blog Entries

Love to know how you get turnips crispy, please.
    Dissenting voice on celeraic, I don't like the taste - too sweet.
    Rosemary

Club Plus Member

Very hot oven, fairly small pieces.... They do have a fairly high water content. I thought I'd overdone them, to be honest - pleasantly surprised!

I'm not a celery fan, which is why I initially wrinkled my nose at celeriac. I will eat celery, but I wouldn't say it's my favourite. Celeriac though has a light, slightly lemony flavour, with the texture of parsnip when roasted, the texture of raw carrot when grated, and can be mashed like spuds.

I like cauli mash, but sometimes its texture isn't quite doing it for me. But then I love roasted cauli. And cauliflower pizza base is just delicious.