Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Celeriac! Wonder veg.

Club Plus Member
    Blog Entries

I may give celeriac a try if it has a lemony flavour. How do you do cauli pizza base? - pizza doesn't do it for me - expensive cheese on toast in my opinion - but my sons both adore pizza

Club Plus Member

Egg pizza base as per Tom Kerridge is a lot less faffy...

You could try a meatza....basically a meat base topped with...the usual toppings. Put it in the search box... there's a number of threads.
    Dear Stomach,you are bored,not hungry. So shut up.

I absolutely adore both celeriac and turnips. The celeriac bake sounds scrummy. I'm fairly certain I could get darling husband to make this. He's not so much of a fan because he says it gives him wind (sorry if that's tmi)! Anyone else experienced that little side effect?

Club Plus Member

Oh yes, celeriac bake is one for a quiet(ish) night in alone!

Cauli pizza base is easy, but takes a bit of time to make. I take one medium head of cauli and put it in food processor so it resembles breadcrumbs. Then I microwave it with no extra water for around 4 minutes on high. Take it out and let it cool. Then, put it in a clean tea-towel and squeeze as hard as you can. Keep going until you get no further liquid out of it. I pop it in a clean dry bowl, and add around 2 oz of grated parmesan and 2oz of grated mozarella, some ground fennel seeds and a beaten egg. I mix it by hand until it forms a pliable "dough." I line a heavy enamel baking tray with baking parchment, which I butter on the uppermost side. Greaseproof paper doesnt work as well, as parchment helps it cook properly. I pat the dough into the tray and put it in the oven for 8 to 10 mins on around 180 (fan oven). It should look nice and gold with browner bits on the top. I then add tomato puree (I like the concentrate with no added bits) as a topping and some sliced mozarella and Bath Pig Chorizo. It goes back in the oven for another 8 to ten minutes, then take it out and let it cool a bit. It slices like pizza, and you can pick it up too. Really tasty. Jaki - I sometimes do it to make a grilled cheese sarnie. I just slice up after stage 1, put my grated cheese in the middle, and then pop back in the oven for about 5 minutes.

Not found that celeriac makes me windy, thankfully.

Daisy May, just thinking, if you made the celeriac bake with lacto free philli (I use the Arla one) and lactose free cream (again I use the Arla one) it might be less problematic with regard to wind? Just a thought. Ordinary dairy doesn't agree with me at all, and I get bloated and windy with that.

Club Plus Member
    Blog Entries

Thanks Justbecoz - very clear instructions - I will give that pizza base a try

Club Plus Member

I have used a similar base for cheese on toast, works quite well, TBH.

I'm fairly sure it's the celeriac that causes the wind, fine with the other ingredients. But then, I'm also fine with celeriac mash, so maybe it's the combination? Like I'm fine with carrots and coriander on their own, but carrot and coriander soup gives me awful heartburn...

I'll give it a go with the lactose free to see if it makes any difference.

It's interesting you've identified which combinations give you heartburn, I'm still trying to work it out. Although just being on THD has massively cut down on any incidence of this.