Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Celeriac! Wonder veg.

Club Plus Member

I also find that sticking to plan, I rarely have wind or heartburn (sorry if that's TMI), and all bathroom visits are short... That alone is an incentive not to stray! But as I said, there are combinations I have to avoid, and too much onion is lethal. I make several dishes with roast onions, and have to be careful how many I eat, and same with my (Harcombe friendly) French Onion soup, sadly...

Growing up, boiled onions with white sauce were a favourite - I once did them on a work night, and had to go home 'sick'... Will leave that to your imaginations...

It's funny you should both mention how certain foods eaten in combination can cause problems. I've found that too - for example, I can eat tuna on its own, and salad on its own, but if I have a tuna salad, I end up in serious discomfort. There are other things too that I can eat separately but not together.

This is interesting, because on THD I've had no heartburn, until earlier this year, when I couldn't understand why I was getting it. I wonder if it was this combination thing? (I can't remember what I was eating at the time, but if it happens again, I'll certainly bear this in mind)

Club Plus Member

IT is strange... I made a gorgeous chilled borscht in the hot weather, completely THD friendly, and no previous problems with beetroot, but it really upset my tummy. Will try again sometime, as it was super, but I'll know for sure if I get the same reaction!

Borscht sounds wonderful. Ping over the recipe Sarah. I love beetroot in any form (favourite is roasted). At the moment anything is setting off the heartburn, even water, but that's the naproxen antiinflammatory tablet I'm taking twice/day plus the co-codamol. It's not kind to stomachs, but the ankle pain is worse.

Sarah, you'd have to go really far before anything is tmi as far as I'm concerned. I'm married to a medic, nothing is off limits for discussion! A friend of mine had both parents as medics, one of whom was a family planning doctor who ran a sexual health clinic. He reckoned he knew everything about various nasty diseases and contraception by 8 years old!

Club Plus Member

Can't find the recipe, but you get a bunch of beetroot (5 or 6 small ones), peel, and halve large ones. Cover with water, add salt and a couple of squashed cloves of garlic and boil until tender. Allow to cool, then fish out the garlic. Grate the beetroot, and set aside. Add around a cup each of cider vinegar and lemon juice to the reserved cooking liquid (to taste) plus more salt and black pepper, if needed. Chill thoroughly (overnight). To serve, ladle into bowls, add grated beetroot, sour cream, chopped cucumber and dill sprigs (essential) and enjoy. The recipe called for about a tablespoon of sugar (at the vinegar stage) - I may have used about a teaspoon, can't remember, but that's not a lot between 4!

Sounds yummy Sarah. When I'm back up on my feet again, I'll definitely be giving it a go.

Club Plus Member

Lovely in very hot weather!