Thread: Ingredients lists

Default Ingredients lists

I was just wondering is there a minimal amount of sugar allowed on this diet? Looking at some grocery items I see items with say 0.03gms per hundred, as that is very small would it be allowed?

The short answer is no, don't eat anything that contains any added sugar.

In practice it will be up to you to decide how comfortable you are with it in very small quantities. Personally, I'll eat chorizo that might contain a small amount of dextrose or something, and occasionally, especially if caught short out an about, I think you have to be pragmatic. But the rules of the diet are not to have any, and that's especially important on phase 1.

Also don't forget one of the basic rules is nothing processed so technically there shouldn't be a list of ingredients. Having said that as Mrjdw says , some things do have a few ingredients. It's part of the learning curve to find out what you can tolerate. Rule of thumb whilst you are finding your feet is if in doubt, leave it out.

Blog Entries

Sometimes I have to be pragmatic on "oses" in food as it would mean I'd never be able to eat bacon or sausages. I've been unable to source either of these items without some added "ose" or other. If I hadn't been able to have bacon at breakfast there's no way I would have been able to stick to eating this way.
    Rosemary

Club Member

This will not help your Rosemary but I have from Tesco

Woodside Farms Cooking Bacon 500G

Pork (87%), Water, Salt, Preservatives (Potassium Nitrate, Sodium Nitrite), Antioxidant (Sodium Ascorbate)

One fifth of a pack as sold (100g)

Energy 982kJ 237kcal,

Fat 19.7g

Saturates 7.5g

Sugars 0g

Salt 2.7g

One does not always get rashers. The thick pieces I slice through to form 'rashers' or there maybe 500g of 'bits' or part rashers.

I do have buy now and again chorizo and also Tesco Finest British Traditional Pork Sausages which are their own 97% sausages with 0.6g carbs/sugar and the ingredient list is shorter than Debbie and Andrew. Plus our branch of Tesco seem to have stopped stocking Debbie and Andrew 97% which had<0.5g carbs/sugar.

99.5% of the time I have real food.

I think it was Sarah who once posted that she had a rule of thumb that if she had to buy an item her maximum was only if the carb/sugar was 1.0g or less per 100g.

Club Plus Member

It was me...

Basically, if something has a long ingredient list, avoid like plague!