Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This is a very sad statistic

Club Plus Member

Default This is a very sad statistic

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-40900269

But it niggles me as to whether obesity is a risk factor for diabetes, or a product of diabetes.... And by addressing obesity first the cart is being put before the horse?

That is a very good question.

I started to answer that I thought obesity comes first and then you go on and develop type 2, but now I am not so sure. (Might be of how every article puts it that you start thinking the way they do)
    Not all obese people are T2D and not all T2D people are obese. My mom have never been obese and she is T2D and the same was with FIL. He had never been obese and got diagnosed with type 2 as well.
    Trust the process, the results will come

I see obesity as the body's way of trying to prevent diabetes. If you're insulin resistant, you have to do something with the glucose you can't burn.

Club Plus Member

That's kind of my thinking - address excess carbs that the body isn't coping with, and the T2 and weight will both improve!

Had to go to town yesterday and was amazed that the pizza place was advertising a chocolate filled pizza! Don't know what chance kids have with that crap on offer!

Club Plus Member

The young adult males in our family are rather taken with the notion of the macaroni cheese version...

Exiled beyond the wall, to the Frozen North

Where's the vomit emoji when you need it...

Blog Entries

I really enjoyed some of the presentations in Manchester about the link between T2DM and obesity... or lack of. Interestingly enough, I had thought the problem was far worse than the article claims... however, dreadful statistic indeed!
    Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution. Anne O'Neil

Club Plus Member

It could be worse in Scotland - home of the deep fried Mars bar... Shame they don't stick to salmon, scallops, venison etc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah(sjc) View Post
    It could be worse in Scotland - home of the deep fried Mars bar... Shame they don't stick to salmon, scallops, venison etc
    Have to say having lived in Scotland my entire life that I have personally never seen, nor been offered a deep fried Mars bar. There was apparently only ever really one chip shop in Glasgow that offered them really.

I would think it must be worse in Scotland though... I get so upset at all the pictures I see my friends and family sharing of the crap they feed their kids and also watching kids drinking giant "smoothies" from those Fuel Bars across the country. I will never forget watching a toddler in a push chair drinking one that had to be about half a litre or more of pure fruit juices crushed beyond recognition.

On top of this, I have just come from our local Asda who are now selling bags of "Fructose" in the tea & coffee aisle as "natural sweetness".... it just gets sadder by the day!
    Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution. Anne O'Neil