Thread: Fear of hunger lessens when I eat better

Default Fear of hunger lessens when I eat better

Ever since I started to be ultra firm with myself about no snacks a few weeks ago, I have been meaning to write something on here about my fear of hunger. I can be prone to snacking or eating more than I need at meals because I have a deep irrational hatred of the sensation of physical hunger. It has always been a real anathema to me, even when just mildly peckish. Hunger is connected with so many irrational and deep-rooted beliefs. When I am thirsty, it is just a physical sensation; whereas hunger is tied up with all sorts of things connected to various events in my past (that led to deep beliefs about the necessity to eat).

In the last few weeks I have had virtually exclusively fat meals and the interesting thing is that my feelings about hunger seem to have lessened. I do not seem to mind or fear it so much. I have always known that physical cravings disappear once I get sugar and wheat out of my system, but not been so aware how it also affects my attitude to hunger.

I usually find it harder to eat less at meals if I know I will not eat anything at all until the next main meal. But since reducing carbs, I feel more willing to have smaller portions and risk being hungry before the next meal. I do know that food tastes much nicer when one is hungry, but that is not enough of an incentive to overcome ingrained beliefs. Quite exciting to see what happens if I am more willing to be hungry.

I wondered how others feel about being hungry?
    Last edited by CatherineN; 12th August 2017 at 10:00 PM.

Club Plus Member
    Blog Entries

That's really interesting Catherine. I think many people have a fear of 'lack' that is related to this. But really interesting how physical and emotional things are so intertwined. I know that fat meals definitely sustain me for longer.

I have found more or less the same.
    Food has been my crutch. I eat for every emotion under the sun. In the beginning of the journey I had 3 (big) meals a day, then moved on to two big meals a day and now I am back on 3 meals, but they seem not so big.
    When I switched over to the 2 meals a day I realised that I could see food as fuel only and that I can wait until I'm hungry before eating again. I don't have to eat because it is time to do so.
    That being said, I will have my meal at the very first sign or flutter of hunger. If I am not where proper food is available, I can (and will) make myself wait until I can eat properly, but if I have my meal with me, it will be eaten on the spot
    Trust the process, the results will come

Club Plus Member

I used to panic and get severe headaches if I was very late or missed next meal - these days, especially with fat meals, I can miss a meal without worrying - yes, I'll be hungry, but I haven't had the headache for years.

Club Member

I am the same fat meals mean I do not even think abut snacking and I can last so much longer between meals.

This morning my breakfast had no fat to speak of and I struggled to get to lunch at 1pm. If I have some fat at breakfast I can easily get to 2.00 -2.30pm before thinking I need something, even if breakfast is at 6am. Fat does make a difference.

I also do not nibble when stressed out about hospital issues that do not go well or if I have other concerns where I need to make decisons.

Club Plus Member

When I'm truly stressed, food makes me nauseous... So just now, things are looking rosy everywhere except weight wise!

Blog Entries

I dislike feeling hungry but have accepted that I can survive mild feelings of hunger, when I start to feel a bit nauseas I know I really am hungry. That's why I've never been brave enough to try fasting.
    Oddly enough I can miss breakfast anc have lunch and dinner but once I've eaten then my stomach is progreammed3for 3 small meals, I can't eat large ones.
    Rosemary