Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you have a flu jab?

Default Would you have a flu jab?

Would you have a flu jab, if you were me? 38, male, in good health, not on any medication. I've been offered a free one at work and can't decide.

Personally no, but I couldn’t put my finger on why.

Club Member

I do have the jab every year but I have asthma and other health issues that require no medication. I have two inhalers and take 2 paracetamol at night. I would be in difficulty if I had flu, a cold is bad enough.

Never had a bad reaction.
    Last edited by ChristineJ; 12th October 2017 at 12:59 PM.

I was brought up by parents who put us down for every jab going and i’ve been the same with my children.
    I can’t see that you’re in a vulnerable group but it’s your call. I’ve heard nothing about them causing harm but do they do any good? I think eating the way we do strengthens our immune systems. Sorry, not much help.

I was all set to have it without really questioning - but of course questioning is what we do around here! I had it for 3 or 4 years in a row but stopped a couple of years ago after I found the vaccination left me feeling well below par for a good week. Not sure what made me think about starting to have it again this year.

I think you're right Mamie about THD strengthening immunity - in fact an article I just read talked about ways of boosting your natural defences instead of having the vaccination, and it included not eating processed foods, not having sugar, and supplementing with vitamin D (which many of us do). Also consuming natural antibiotics like garlic (again many of us do as it's a great andi-candida food).

I'm leaning towards not having it now.

Blog Entries

As your employer is offering this, I suspect it is more about economics for the corporation rather than benefit to you personally. They do not want to lose your services for the week it takes to recover from a bout of flu, and they do not want flu to spread amongst the other workers (who will also require time off) so they are going for a herd immunity to protect their financial interests.

There are likely to be some nasties such as heavy metals included with the material injected, which is never a good idea as these are cumulative poisons. There is also a real probability that the strains of influenza in this year's jab are not the right ones to protect against this year's flu. Having said that, there is a really nasty flu which is flagged to land here this winter and which has been bad in Australia and New Zealand during their recent winter months.

I am sixty and have had real flu on 3 maybe 4 occasions during my lifetime. I have also had some nasty bouts of the common cold which made me feel pretty grim and occasionally turned into bronchitis. The flu jab would not have offered protection against the latter.

With the more serious strain of flu being around this flu season, if you picked a year to take up the offer of a free flu jab this might be the one. On the other hand if you take high dose vitamin D and eat real food you are more likely to recover quickly. It should be remembered that the 1918 epidemic wiped out the young and healthy rather than the old and weak, so being 38 and fit may not protect you.

Sorry if my rambling reaction has not helped you at all. On balance, I would probably not have the jab myself because I am struggling with autoimmune issues which heavy metals would be likely to exacerbate and having met several flu strains I may well have some residual resistance. The immunity generated by having and recovering from an illness seems to be longer lasting than the immunity from having innocculations which is why measels and mumps etc are hitting the young as they head off to university whereas those of us who had the diseases in childhood seem to have acquired a life-long immunity.

Good luck with your decision and let us know where you go with it.
    Gilli - DLTBGYD

Personally I do not have and would not choose to have the flu jab. I am 39 and in good health. Both my parents have it annually. I don't like the sound of it at all and have read various articles to make me feel this way. One of the sources I would refer to sometimes, is Mercola.com but there are many! In a nutshell, it is not for me. Also, I never get ill. I last had the flu (real flu) when I was 14 years old.

Club Member

One has to be careful about stating generalizations.

Thimerosal is an ethyl mercury-based preservative used in vials that contain more than one dose of a vaccine (multi-dose vials) to prevent germs, bacteria and/or fungi from contaminating the vaccine.

Preservatives are used to protect vaccines packaged in multi-dose vials. Each time a vaccine dose is drawn from a multi-dose vial, bacteria or fungi can enter the vial. Receiving a vaccine contaminated with bacteria or fungi can be dangerous. Preservatives are needed to prevent contamination of multi-dose vials each time individual doses are drawn.

Single-dose vials and pre-filled syringes of flu shot and the nasal spray flu vaccine do not contain a preservative because they are intended to be only used once. This is the way GPs buy in and administer the flu injection these days, especially the pre-filled syringes.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MrJDW View Post
    Would you have a flu jab, if you were me? 38, male, in good health, not on any medication. I've been offered a free one at work and can't decide.
    Nope! Not ever! And I have asthma!

There is no guarantee that the vaccine will protect you (look for the absolute risk numbers... Your doctor will only give you relative)

My asthma is controlled very well indeed with clenil modulate (brown inhaler - very low dose)

For me, the likelihood of me getting it is miniscule multiply that by the efficacy of the vaccine and that number gets smaller! Everyone I know this year who has had the vaccine has been ill for a good few days.
    The worst bigots in the world are those who most loudly proclaim their ‘tolerance’

I'm 59, in poor health, I have (well controlled) asthma and I refuse it every year. Since I've been on THD , and high dose vitamin D, I've had very few colds, so I think what the others said about that is valid. And I also have had flu four times in my life, so I would hope that my own natural immunity would help me if we get this nasty epidemic this winter. But even if it doesn't, I still wouldn't want the vaccine.