Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you have a flu jab?

Club Plus Member

I had flu at New Year 2000, and was so ill... But not so much that I'd consider the jab. Haven't had it since then!

Each to their own. I had a flu jab, never been that sick before - would rather deal with the flu!

Blog Entries

I've personally never had one, and don't intend to this year or in the foreseeable future.

However, stating your own vital stats is missing the point a bit: vaccines aren't really about stopping you from getting the disease so much as protecting everyone through herd immunity - specifically those with compromised immune systems who can't be vaccinated themselves. While this is obviously more valid for diseases such as measles, smallpox, polio (exactly how we eradicated those), influenza can still be a killer. A friend of mine's newborn almost died because someone who was feeling a bit poorly but not diagnosed with flu - i.e. someone like us with a strong immune response - came to visit & passed on the virus.

So the question you need to ask yourself is: are you around immuno-compromised people - those undergoing chemo, newborn babies, the elderly, etc... If the answer to any of those is yes, then you should get the flu jab for their benefit, not your own. Or stay the hell away from them if you have as much as a minor sniffle!
    Starting again. again.

Blog Entries

The flu jab given this winter in Australia didn't protect against it. I'm in the theoretical at risk group of over 70 and my GP says you don't want the flu jab do you each year. I haven't had flu since the Asian flu epidemic in the 1950s, so haven't really felt the need to have it after my one exoerience of the vaccination when I felt really ill afterwards.
    Rosemary

Club Member

I was going to respond again in the same vane as Hejoba but adding diphtheria which now is also rare in the UK due to vaccination.

Some infections have also been controlled inpart by better water and sewage treatment, we are very fortunate.

The other thing to think about is the likelihood of passing flu on to a more vulnerable person should you get it. If the answer to that is not likely then I probably would not have it if I were you.

I have it every year but I have bad asthma that gets a lot worse during winter so anything that reduces my risk of getting flu is worth having.
    3 stone gone forever! Gluten free phase 3.

Blog Entries

Dr Malcolm Kendrick on Swine flu (similar views on influenza in general)

As a GP, I was taught that flu was basically a self-limiting illness. Patients who caught it should stay at home, deal with their symptoms and not ‘bother’ the doctor. A few elderly or very young patients could develop serious complications, and might need to be treated for secondary in-fections and suchlike. Other than that, there was not much to do.
    Then, suddenly, flu became a deadly killing monster that must be treated with drugs. I was working in local surgeries and OOH (Out of Hours) during the winter of 2009/10 when the ‘great swine-flu pandemic of terror’ erupted.
    We were swamped. The demand for vaccination for children went through the roof. At the same time it was decreed that anyone with swine-flu had to be treated with Tamiflu (made by Roche).
    It was total chaos. Special help lines were set up to decide who should have Tamiflu – manned by people who had been, almost literally, dragged off the streets. After an in-depth intensive two week training course, these newly qualified doctors suddenly had the magical power to diagnose swine-flu, over the phone, without doing any tests, or see- ing the patient... (don’t get me started, at least three patients almost certainly died in our local area due to being diagnosed with swine-flu over the phone, when they had something else).
    Doctors’ surgeries nearly snapped under the strain. It was like something out of a science fiction movie when the great mutant virus hits. The end result of the ‘great swine-flu pandemic of terror’ was that... about the same number of people as normal died of flu that year (probably fewer). It turned out to be hyped up nonsense, as I bloody told any- one who would listen at the time.
    However, it was also extremely profitable for Roche, the makers of Tamiflu who, in an act of great generosity agreed to sell the UK Government hundreds of millions of pounds worth of Tamiflu. Nice of them, don’t you think?
    It amused me to note that, by the end of the ‘great swine-flu pandemic of terror’ Tamiflu was getting handed out like sweeties, as the tablets started to reach their sell by date. Waste not, want not.
    Of course Tamiflu is exceedingly effective and wonderful, and saved thousands of lives. The evidence supporting its use was rigorous and water-tight... Ho... ho. Not.
    Extract from Doctoring Data
    The truth is deafening, no matter how quietly spoken.

Thanks Andy, very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Soup View Post
    Each to their own. I had a flu jab, never been that sick before - would rather deal with the flu!
    I thought the flu vaccine was inactivated? It's possible you would have got sick anyway and it had nothing to do with the jab.
    3 stone gone forever! Gluten free phase 3.

Quote Originally Posted by catlover View Post
    I thought the flu vaccine was inactivated? It's possible you would have got sick anyway and it had nothing to do with the jab.
    A lot of people feel somewhat ill after it, despite the fact that the virus is inactivated. The immune response provoked can be enough to make people feel sub-par, to greater or lesser extents.