Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The truth about slim people

Default The truth about slim people

Hi - probably UK people only (until someone puts it on youtube!)
    One for the recorder - Channel 4 Wed 8th Nov 9pm: The truth about slim people.

I remember the 2009 "Why are thin people not fat?" , which was very interesting, but all of these programmes are done by people who believe calories have something to do with weight! They should put a non believer in charge of the prog and we'd be looking for hormonal reasons!

Bye for now - Zoe
    "Those who are enlightened before the others are condemned to pursue that light in spite of others." Christopher Columbus ("1492")

Can I chance watching it without my blood pressure soaring? It will be interesting tp see what conclusions they reach.

Well, how was the program?? I know a woman in her 30’s who eats and drinks and snacks and drinks some more constantly (her voluminous Instagram pics of her food and drink is proof) yet she’s a tiny size. Not bulemic. Large eyeballs though (a touch of Graves Disease, perhaps?)
    It is said that truth passes through 3 stages: First, it is ridiculed. Then, it is violently opposed. Finally, itís accepted as being self-evident.

It was one of the more entertaining shows of this type, and tbh, I thought a lot of what they said made sense in terms of THD - cooking from scratch, no snacking, little alcohol, natural movement etc. And the gut bacteria thing was interesting too. And there was a Sheffield GP saying saying eat less/do more is complete rubbish... And they also put emphasis on sleep and happiness (right at the end). There were a couple of bits I disagreed with, but overall, I think safe for THD viewing!

I recorded it. I will watch it now.

There will still be some bits you may not like...

There was a saturated fat fearing, calorie theory loving nutritionist going through their fridge and bins, but she wasn't given undue emphasis or sway.

I found it a bit of a damp squib of a programme that never really did conclude, and it didn't seem to address that some people are more insulin sensitive/resistant than others, which is what we all think. It seemed to be searching quite hard for a rationale that fitted in with the calorie theory, to me.

Yes it emphasised real food but still marvelled at a lady eating cheese and onion pasties with copious amounts of salad cream managing to be slim.

I marvel at a lady who eats cheese and onion pasties with that much salad cream and stays slim!!

I think that, although it didn't provide many answers, it knocked spots off all the eat less/do more programmes - and was heading in a better direction than most things I have watched (the lovely Rangan excluded, of course)!

Just been staying with family for the weekend. Our family - sadly - have always had "issues" with weight - my father and aunts were "comfortably plump" all the time I was growing up - probably they'd be in the "normal" range now but at the time they were "generously proportioned". We were always brought up to "finish what was on your plate". I wasn't quite so hardlined with my children but I probably did make it clear that I wasn't happy about food being left. Silly really.

My daughter in law frequently stops her meal half way through. She eats what she wants and then she simply stops. And she is gorgeously slim. Their two children, aged 5 and 7, are tall and lean, not an ounce of fat on them. They are happy, healthy and energetic. Apart from the usual fuss about having to eat some vegetables, they eat as much as they want and then stop and their parents don't say anything about it.

I found it quite confronting at first but now I rather wish I had learnt that lesson.

Thoughts anyone?
    Sue - the first "no thank you" is the easiest

I agree Sue, I was brought up in that school. I think my Mother had the mindset any waste was wicked after the lean war years. I now leave food when I'm satisfied.
    One is too many a thousand not enough.