Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: More than one in four nurses obese

What was the gist of the conversation?

I must admit most of the nurses I've encountered in my stays in private hospitals over tge years have tended to be in the normal to mildly overweight category. But those in the public sector sre quite different. Mostly overweight and quite a few obese ones as well.
    One is too many a thousand not enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamie View Post
    What was the gist of the conversation?
    One woman was actually complaining about being overweight so I explained all about harcombe but she had already booked herself in to see a dietician so I imagine unless she is lucky she will get the low fat guidance. I spoke with another nurse who was complaining of a sweet tooth but she wasn't interested at all

Club Member

Our hospital doctors, police, ambulance, fire service staff also do 12 hours shifts +. It has to be a mind set and I think there is some historical factors that come into play that the 'junk food' that is eaten is perceived to be the diet of these type of workers that they pick up when training and very few are able to put the brakes on and re-think their food intake - they get swept along.

You never know what those you have spoken to and rejected what you have said, at the moment, they may come back to in the future. You have sown the seed it just may take a while to germinate.
    Last edited by ChristineJ; 6th December 2017 at 10:40 AM.

Sad HC.

I have talked to many of the nurses at work and apart from 2 have had responses saying that I don’t know what I’m taking about, I’m just an uneducated carer after all. I don’t bother any more unless they spacifically ask.

People tend to be very entrenched in their views. I just don't waste the effort anymore trying to convince people. I know from my own experience that you have to be in the right mental place to commit to something like THD and I think it has to come from within. Not only to come up with the resolve to do something about your weight or health, but also to do it in such a way that doesn't subscribe to official government issued guidelines - it is actually quite a big ask of people, not least because on top of the emotional aspects, it requires them to engage intellectually and consider whether they are comfortable disregarding the eat badly plate and not fearing fat, something they've been told will slowly kill them for the past 35 years.

So true MrJDW. Even the doctor on "This Morning" yesterday, when faced with a headline and report that dairy isn't bad for you (unless you are intolerant but they were specifically talking about fat and cholesterol), admitted that dairy has no bearing on your heart health but was still prattling on about only eating a matchbox size piece of cheese a day. Its a wonder they've not got splinters in their bums from sitting on the fence. It shows how cautious the medical profession is about doing a "u" turn on its previous advice. The closing comment was "everything in moderation".