Thread: Being tempted by a smell!

Default Being tempted by a smell!

As we are celebrating two successes my sons have had, my husband is making a chocolate cake for them.

I said that I would Not find it hatd not to have any, as I have no sugar cravings at all, but that it would feel a little sad somehow not to share it. (Although the boys will be happier there is more for them!) I suggested he cooked it rather than me so I would not have any temptations of chocolate fingers.

All fine - until now - when the kitchen is filling with the most amazing smell of chocolate cooking. I am literally feeling shaky, my heart is beating fast, slightly sweaty hands and a dry mouth. So I am about to flee the house for our garden room with some water. Really amazing how my body can be so physically affected by just a smell. Get me out of here!

Well done!! Keep away. Its my husbands birthday on Tuesday so I am going to get my 14 year old to make the cake.!! Good luck hope you win.

Club Plus Member

Gets some Vicks, and dab a bit under your nose?

We were in town and hungry today and had to walk past a host of cafes and bakeries. Managed to make it to Aldi and buy their pack of sliced grilled chicken (no sugar) and was ok after that. Then walking back to the car more patisseries and pastie shops.

Smell is part of the eating experience as Heston seems to have proved. It starts your stomach going and your mind remembers the taste of that smell.

It is really difficult. Just remember that if you do give in it might cascade into something worse!

Don’t let your nose win

Don’t have any Vicks Sarah, but an interesting idea!

Supermarkets have clearly realised about smell as so many now have bakeries as part of the shop. It is amazingly powerful.

I had loads of vegetables and pork bolognaise for our main course to make sure I was really full, and actually sitting at the table while My family ate the cake was totally fine and certainly not as excrutiating as the smell. The cake was apparently a bit dry anyway!

If anyone wants any Vicks...I've got LOADS!
    Dear Stomach,you are bored,not hungry. So shut up.

Club Plus Member

Freshly baked bread is one of the nicest smells, and I’m addicted to bread. Not good...

Blog Entries

I put a face pack that had menthol in it on the other day and I could taste the menthol do strongly
    One is to many 100 is not enough.

Blog Entries

A friend of mine just started making aromatherapy smelling salts and I bought her first collection (Air, Earth, Fire, Water) to help support her. The Vicks is a good idea, and it got me thinking about using my smelling salts for this purpose! Food smells can grab hold of your unconscious and really trick you into reaching for the fragrant food and getting it in the mouth before you’ve had a chance to process what just happened! Great tip, thanks!
    Phase 1 makes me feel like my vibrating nervous system has been switched off. Blissful calm.

Blog Entries

Hope you managed to resist. The smell of chocolate would do it for me too so Iíve got my 75% well away from its usual place till I can have it again. Interestingly though there was a strong smell of fresh toast in the cafe after exercise class yesterday and it didnít affect me as it usually would.