Thread: Anti obesity programs in schools not working

Blog Entries

Default Anti obesity programs in schools not working

Now there's a surprise, eat less do more doesn't work (again). But the sugar tax might?

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-42976971
    Rosemary

Blog Entries

"The evidence is clear that just telling people what to do won't work. To reverse what's been decades in the making, we need sustained action across the factors driving poor diets and weight gain

Ga! This is exactly what people have done for years and now they (the governing bodies) are reaping the rewards for it. You want to do something about it? Change the dietary guidelines
    Trust the process, the results will come

I think that all these different initiatives are just confusing and muddy the water.

Blog Entries

+1 for all the comments above.

As I clicked on the thread to open it the words "now there's a surprise" were forming on my keyboard fingers. Lo and behold, RM had exactly the same thought! Carol says the different initiatives are confusing and muddy the water - don't they just - especially when there is now a drive to keep us all eating a low fat diet and reduce sugars at the same time. Anyone who did "O" level biology (showing my age there) would know that all starches (as we used to call carbohydrates in those days) break down to glucose for absorption.

Whilst I cannot be certain that GCSE biology covered the same aspects of mammalian digestion (my kids did their GCSEs between 1997 & 2006 during which time, in a drive to improve grades across the board the syllabus seemed to become lighter and less academic each time it was adjusted, but therein lies another rant) it is certainly readily discoverable to anyone with an internet connection that this is what happens to all carbohydrates in the diet. All those who engage their brain with government dietary guidlines must surely be asking how you achieve a low fat, moderate protein, low sugar diet.
    Gilli - DLTBGYD

Club Plus Member

I can confirm that GCSE Biology 4 years ago covered digestion of starches, role of insulin etc. We all know fatty carbs are the stuff to avoid in this house, and understand why! They all thought I was mad, until I had the inspiration to refer them to their schoolwork!

Usually when something is made "low fat" they put more sugar or sweeteners in to make up for the lack of flavour. If they are also going low sugar then it sounds like they are planning on using a lot more artificial sweeteners which doesn't solve the problem at all.

Quote: 'Public health officials said they were working with industry to make food healthier.' That's one of the biggest problems!

Blog Entries

+1 for what Babs says too.
    Gilli - DLTBGYD