Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeling mad with myself & a question about root veg!

Default Feeling mad with myself & a question about root veg!

OK - need a bit of advice, but assuming I already might know the answer!!

With celebrations and various social outings lately, I have really messed up my phase 2
    I can only blame myself for drinking too much red wine on too many occasions. I am going up and down on the scales within the same few pounds and feeling like a bit of a failure for not sticking with it. There has been sugar intake on 2 occasions with some ice cream. Everything else has mostly been within Phase 2 rules. I've really fallen out of sync with it and I'm struggling at the moment.

My question is - should I start back to Phase 1? or can I continue with a clean phase 2? Will the weight still come off if I stay on phase 2? Or is it always best to reset with a phase 1? I'm struggling not having a cup of tea in the morning with some milk in it. Silly I know...

I have looked in other threads and I noticed that maybe having caffeine in my tea might also be causing a problem. So I defo will switch back to decaff.

Also, I was so annoyed with myself, as I was making a carrot & parsnip delicious soup thinking it was a fat meal. I was still losing very small amounts of weight, (when I wasn't being stupid with wine etc) but as I was cooking with butter and then adding a dash of cream - I was mixing!!!!
    I was really confused about parsnips and carrots as I thought I could have them with roast chicken for example on a Sunday dinner! Can someone set me right on root veg??

I really need help to reset my mindset as I'm feeling like a total failure at the moment and I am beating myself up about it. I was very reluctant to post again about this

There are lots of questions there. As for going back to Phase 1, you only need to do this if you feel one of the three conditions has got hold again. In the more than five years since I started Harcombe, I've only ever re-done Phase 1 once. Otherwise, when I've gone off piste, I've just got back into doing a strict Phase 2.

I often make soups with root vegetables, and eat them with fat meals. I think you would only need to worry if all the rest of your eating was completely clean, but you weren't losing weight. Then you might need to rethink root vegetables. I even eat them with roast pork and crackling, and I don't seem to have problems. Others on here have said the same.

Hope this helps a bit.

Hi Grotbags, this is how we learn.
    Please stop beating yourself up. This is life and life happens. The best is to learn from it. If you have learnt something, then it was not wasted but part of your learning curve.

As far as I know having root veg with fat meals are permitted. Only when you realise you might have a carb sensitivity, then Zoe recommends you to look at the carby veg and maybe have them with leaner meats like fish or chicken. If you are loosing, no matter how slow, carry on with what you are doing. Adding the cream to the veggies made it a fat meal because they are permitted to have with fat meals. The only ones that are not permitted to have with fat meals are sweet potatoes and potatoes. They are part of carb meals. I'll see if I can find the allowed list from Zoe and you can see for yourself
    Trust the process, the results will come

Last edited by Christelle; 12th February 2018 at 01:52 PM.
    Trust the process, the results will come

I rarely go back to p1 as others have said just go to p2 if you feel that is appropriate. I regularly have parsnip soup with cream and cheese and lose fine, so technically it's allowed but it might be something that stalls some carb sensitive people.

OK - thank you guys, this is all very helpful and thank you very much for finding the lists. My confusion is because of the recipe book (page 172) for root vegetable soup - this is listed as a carb meal?? I only had parsnips & carrots in my soup with a fresh, good no nonsense stock, so I panicked!
    I will stick with a strict phase 2 first and see how that goes.

I am wondering now if I am carb sensitive. Aside from any silliness with my 'indulgences' carb meals really seem to slow everything right down. Typically I was having around 3 carb meals a week on a good week. Any more than this, seems to stall me even if I am being good.

To be fair, Zoe does say* that parsnips have almost the same amount of carbs as ordinary potatoes, but because we eat them in much smaller quantities, it probably won't do any harm, so they're on the allowed list.

This did make me think of curried parsnip soup, where I eat quite a large quantity of parsnips in one sitting. All you can do Grotbags is experiment and see what works for you.

*In Getting Started On The Harcombe Diet

Blog Entries

Beating your self up is not going to help. Rather, make a cup of black coffee. sit down and write and ask yourself what solution you want out of it all. Maybe the ultimate solution then the outcome for the end of the month. The solution does not need to be what weight you want to be. For example I have made my solution for the end of this year to be happy, healthy and satisfied with what I eat, in more ways than one, but I want to be .......(my weight goal)

If doing Phase one gives you the jolt that you and your body needs, it may be a good idea. But as with everything, when we tell ourselves that we will not do something, or eat certain foods, forever, we set up restistance. So to start just say that you will do phase 1. Then simply add in one food at a time. Then when the intitial motivation dies off and we find ourselves drinking red wine, we need to just enjoy it. By the way it took me about twelve months when I first did Harcombe seven years ago, to sort out what I could eat and know exactly what I can eat to maintain a healthy weight. And that weight is not the one that the BMI tables say I should be. According to that I am overweight, but I dont care because I am happy and healthy.

Draw a series of steps, each step representing a day. The set of steps are for the week. Or for a month or a year. Fill in what your goal is for the day. Could be something like "stick to phase 1" or "have a glass of red wine just for tonight." Each day then becomes a joy instead of pressure.

Most of all dont be too hard on yourself. The stress of worrying about it will undo all the good you have done. RELAX

Blog Entries

What Harmonious says makes a lot of sense. Well said H.
    Gilli - DLTBGYD

Blog Entries

I suspect the parsnip and carrot soup is defined as a carb meal because of the quantity of veggies one portion would contain. Parsnips have nearly as high a carb content as veggies.

I know we don't carb count but these pictutes from the Diet Doctor are helpful.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/vegetables
    Rosemary