Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Kefir

Hi can you tell me what Kefir tastes like and has anybody tried the Polish one from Lidl.

Blog Entries

Hi Kath. I have not tried the Lidl one, but Chuckling Goat kefir tastes like a slightly cheesy, fizzy milk drink. Think champagne, stilton cheese and milk combined into one perfect health enhancing elixir.
    Gilli - DLTBGYD

I'd say the one I tried was just like a creamy, yogurt drink. Very pleasant.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kath archer View Post
    Hi can you tell me what Kefir tastes like and has anybody tried the Polish one from Lidl.
    I've drunk the Polush one from ASDA and that was lovely
    Chaos: it's not just a theory... it's my life
    Linda: Reliably inappropriate...
    Totally enslaved by my totalitarian masters...

Blog Entries

I realise that I'm not selling this but to me it tastes a little like vomit.... It is an acquired taste IMO. I drink it not because I like it, rather that it is so darned beneficial!
    The worst bigots in the world are those who most loudly proclaim their ‘tolerance’

Thanks for your opinions I think I may have to build up to this one!!

Blog Entries

I know the milk kefir I smelled in someone's smoothie was like vomit. I make mine fromncoconut milk so have no idea of the taste just the smell.
    Rosemary

Quote Originally Posted by Mat View Post
    I realise that I'm not selling this but to me it tastes a little like vomit.... It is an acquired taste IMO. I drink it not because I like it, rather that it is so darned beneficial!
    I would describe it as more yoghurty than vomity.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen B View Post
    I would describe it as more yoghurty than vomity.
    Mat does, of course, make his own Stephen and it may have special qualities not found in commercial variants of kefir *running away and hiding now*
    Gilli - DLTBGYD

Enjoying this thread I have been making my own kefir for several years now. I originally used organic whole milk, then moved on to channel islands milk, really good. For the last few months I have been using raw water buffalo milk which produces the best kefir ever!
    I remember a program investigating fermented foods, by Michael Mosely a while ago, which concluded that home made kefir had higher beneficial organisms than any commercial versions. I also make sauerkraut, cheaper and better than purchased, also live of course. Yoghourt too. Regarding the kefir, I make extra for a friend who following breast cancer treatment was advised to consume kefir to repopulate her gut flora. She turns up on the doorstep every week for another jar.
    Just adding my bit, BTW, it does smell a bit odd, but tastes great. Don't let the smell deter you. Think cheeses, beer etc all of which can smell odd but taste great