Thread: More on obesity in the Times

Default More on obesity in the Times

This letter was also in the Times today signed by a good number of people --

TACKLING OBESITY
    Sir, As your report “Millennials are fattest generation in history” (Feb 26) indicates, obesity is rarely out of the news. Statistics show there are now 12.3 million people at increased risk of type 2 diabetes and that the most deprived five-year-olds are more than twice as likely to be obese than their well-off counterparts.

Obesity is a problem of our environment more than individual willpower. Failure to tackle this at a national level will lead to more devastating headlines of people experiencing weight-related disease.

The government is considering further measures to reduce childhood obesity. Health leaders are unanimous that protecting children from junk food adverts must be prioritised: last weekend, for example, more than a third of the adverts shown during a popular family-time programme were for high fat, sugar and salt foods. These adverts were seen by more than a million children.

Policymakers from all parties must listen to the sector and to the public. We need to get to grips with obesity now before it is too late.

Professor Russell Viner, Officer for Health Promotion, Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health; Professor John Wass, Special Advisor on Obesity, Royal College of Physicians; Alison Cox, Director of Prevention, Cancer Research UK; Helen Dickens, Assistant Director of Campaigns and Mobilisation, Diabetes UK; Professor Dame Parveen Kumar, Board of Science Chair, British Medical Association; Professor Simon Capewell, Vice President for Policy, Faculty of Public Health; Jamie Oliver, Chef and campaigner; John Maingay, Head of Policy and Public Affairs, British Heart Foundation; Kawther Hashem, Action on Sugar; Ben Reynolds, Deputy Director, Sustain; Dr Modi Mwatsama, Director, Policy and Global Health, UK Health Forum; Professor Lesley Regan, President of the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists; Nicola Close, Chief Executive, Association of Directors of Public Health; Dr Liam Brennan, President, Royal College of Anaesthetists; Judi Rhys, CEO, British Liver Trust; Richard Gardner, Chief Executive, British Society of Gastroenterology; Professor Michael Escudier, Dean, Faculty of Dental Surgery at the Royal College of Surgeons of England; Kieron Boyle, Chief Executive, Guy’s and St Thomas’ Charity; Caroline Moye, Head of World Cancer Research Fund UK; Andy Burman, Chief Executive, British Association of Dieticians; Kim Roberts, Chief Executive, HENRY; Shefalee Loth, Caroline Walker Trust; Dr Roger Wolman, Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital; Tam Fry, chairman and spokesman, National Obesity Forum; Helen Crawley, First Steps Nutrition; Lesley McCormack, CEO, HOOP UK; Michael Baber, Chair, Health Action Campaign; Dan Parker, Living Loud

I saw that too Jane and wrote a response as follows:

"I agree wholeheartedly with the long list of signatories to the letter saying that obesity should be tackled as a matter of urgency.

However, what has become apparent is that dietary fat is not the culprit and never has been either for obesity or cardio vascular disease. Until the national dietary guidelines are based on "good science" there will be no improvement in obesity or chronic illness.

I refer you to the works of Zoe Harcombe, Nina Teicholz, Tim Noakes, Jason Fung, Barry Groves, Gary Taubes and Malcolm Kendrick to name but a few.

Until the influence of commercial interests ceases to drive the advice given to the population on what to eat for good health we are unlikely to see an improvement."

I wrote this brief comment because I believe that we all need to challenge assertions that fat is bad for us wherever and whenever they appear. It is a small contribution, but if even one person looks into the list of authors I suggest then I may have made a difference.
    Gilli - DLTBGYD but more importantly KCHO

Good point Gilli - well worth adding. I generally read the paper on my ipad app and thus don't get to see the comments.

I read it on my computer for that very reason Jane. I want to be able to argue back when the mood takes me. Otherwise, I find myself putting it down and walking away to work off the crossness.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilli View Post
    I want to be able to argue back when the mood takes me.
    I can't imagine this ever happening Gilli‽

*Actually I can see you in 'full lawyer mode' - And it scares me!!
    The worst bigots in the world are those who most loudly proclaim their ‘tolerance’

Quote Originally Posted by Mat View Post
    I can't imagine this ever happening Gilli‽

*Actually I can see you in 'full lawyer mode' - And it scares me!!
    This is why children are so grounding, it is very hard to remain impressed by one's own performance when exposed to the critical and normally very perceptive views of our lovely progeny. The words, "If you have ranted enough could you tell me where you put my hockey boots which you brought back from the match on Saturday afternoon?" were sufficient to stop any argument over a principle in its tracks.

Like it!!
    The worst bigots in the world are those who most loudly proclaim their ‘tolerance’