Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Weight Watchers changing it's coat?

The fact tha Oprah is on board would worry me. She’s a woman who knows how to make the odd billion here or there. Cynical business move rather than desire to help.

Quote Originally Posted by grumbleweed View Post
    Oh dear...I just noticed this...
    "...teenagers up to the age of 17 will be offered free membership to “help the development of healthy habits at a critical life stage”. "
    I frankly find that worrying. Maybe I'm a cynic, but it just seems to be another tactic to get them while they are young...it will be money for WW in the future.
    when I used to go to SW they used to offer free membership to under 17 year olds if they came with a paying member then. There was a 11 year old that came with her mum, she wasn't even very over weight but thought she was. she got so frustrated week after week when she didn't lose. the leader used to ask her in front of the class if she was sticking to plan and how she could make better choices. I felt quite sorry for her, all she needed to do was to stop eating the diet crap they were telling her to eat and EAT REAL FOOD.

That's very sad Jen.
    One is too many a thousand not enough.

Quote Originally Posted by roseymary View Post
    That's very sad Jen.
    I'll go with "That's criminal!" Talk about trying to get a new customer for life! Destroy their self-esteem when they are young!
    The worst bigots in the world are those who most loudly proclaim their ‘tolerance’

Quote Originally Posted by Mat View Post
    I'll go with "That's criminal!" Talk about trying to get a new customer for life! Destroy their self-esteem when they are young!
    I agree Mat. Section 2 of the Fraud Act 2006 covers it as follows:

2 Fraud by false representation

(1) A person is in breach of this section if he—

(a) dishonestly makes a false representation, and

(b) intends, by making the representation—

(i) to make a gain for himself or another, or

(ii) to cause loss to another or to expose another to a risk of loss.

(2) A representation is false if—

(a) it is untrue or misleading, and

(b) the person making it knows that it is, or might be, untrue or misleading.

(3) “Representation” means any representation as to fact or law, including a representation as to the state of mind of—

(a) the person making the representation, or

(b) any other person.

(4) A representation may be express or implied.

(5) For the purposes of this section a representation may be regarded as made if it (or anything implying it) is submitted in any form to any system or device designed to receive, convey or respond to communications (with or without human intervention).

The only fly in the ointment might be that the WW leaders, as agents for, or employees of, the corporate entity which is WW may "honestly" believe that the advice they are giving is good advice. You would think though that after it has failed so many people for so many years that it must have occurred to them that the advice is wrong.
    Gilli - DLTBGYD but more importantly KCHO

Incidentally, it also seems to border on bullying of the child which if continued regularly could amount to abuse or harassment.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilli View Post
    The only fly in the ointment might be that the WW leaders, as agents for, or employees of, the corporate entity which is WW may "honestly" believe that the advice they are giving is good advice. You would think though that after it has failed so many people for so many years that it must have occurred to them that the advice is wrong.
    Well that's a bit of a bugger!
    The worst bigots in the world are those who most loudly proclaim their ‘tolerance’

That is the law for you Mat. Full of sub-clauses that make your whole case stand on its head and face the other way.

And WW is following the institutionalised dietary guidelines so cannot be held to task.
    One is too many a thousand not enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilli View Post
    That is the law for you Mat. Full of sub-clauses that make your whole case stand on its head and face the other way.
    Ah so that's why we need lawyers!